Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XQ Xl Quick GPS problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XQ Xl Quick GPS problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: TomTom XQ Xl Quick GPS problems Reply with quote

Hi All

I am now on my second IQ XL unit as the first one comitted suicide. However it its short lifespan it did download the quickgps fix updates and the fuel prices trial (three months).

My new unit, now a week old has not at any point shown fuel prices or more importantly to me the quickgps fix downloads.

I cannot see a ephem (I think that is correct) folder on the TT which is where I understand the quickgps.

Do you know of any cures to make TT Home identify that quickgps update is required Question

Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a backup?

If so copy the ephem folder from the backup to the unit and try an update.
If not, try making an empty folder called ephem and see if that helps.
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I made a clean backup from new using Windows explorer. This did not contain a folder called ephem. I also checked the from new backup I made for the first unit - again no ephem folder. In my second backup for the first unit I saw an ephem folder - so I copied this across to my current unit and unfortunately nothing happened when trying to update.

I get the impression from other posts that quickgps is probably not really worth the hassle it causes - but in a way on the basis that it should work - I feel hard done by as I no longer have the ability to even see it in the TT Home updates.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the QuickGPSfix downloads going again, you also need to delete the contents of the "ephemeris" folder on your PC.

It is normally found in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris

So before you download, make sure you have the two EMPTY folders.... "ephemeris" on the PC and "ephem" on the TomTom (without the quotation marks).
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Many thanks for the reply - unfortunately it didn't quite work perfectly. In the end I copied the very first quickgps download from my first IQ XL backup (the one that committed suicide) into the new empty ephem folder on the new XL IQ. I then copied the very first copy of the quickgps download into the Tomtom home emphmeris file on the pc. Ran update again and hurrah it updated.

You certainly guided me into the right direction.

Cheers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moshchops27 wrote:
Hi

Many thanks for the reply - unfortunately it didn't quite work perfectly.

Strange... I suggested exactly the same thing to someone else only the day before yesterday, and he said it worked a treat! Stop it!

Ah well, at least you found a way to get there in the end!
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prior to getting good nudge in the right direction from the forum I contacted TT Customer Services. I have since had a response from them which will be pasted below when I figure out how to resolve an error message about HTML codes preventing me from submitting it.

I have cleared all fromattign from the text but It doesn't like it still
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The usual reason for not being able to quote TomTom's replies on this forum is that every time they give a sequence of menu commands, they use the "greater than"/ "forward arrow" symbol (the one above the full stop on a UK keyboard) between each one.

The forum doesn't like that symbol, so you need to replace them all with something else such as a "/" slash.
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the response from TT Cust Servs. it may help other users.

To reinstall your safety cameras and fuel prices again, please do the following:-

STEP 1 Install the latest version of TomTom Home

Download and install TomTom Home

STEP 2 Remove the Existing Safety Camera and Fuel Price and Quick GPS files from your device

Connect your TomTom to the computer and switch it on
Open TomTom Home
Click onto 'Remove items from my device'
Click onto 'Safety Cameras'.
Select all the Safety Cameras and then remove them
Once complete, switch the TomTom off and disconnect it from the computer
Switch the TomTom back on
Go to Change Preferences Reset Factory Settings, please proceed with resetting your device to factory settings.
Reset your TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds,
Please repeat this step but choose the Fuel Price option and Quick GPS Fix instead.

STEP 3 Remove the existing Safety Camera, Fuel Price and Quick GPS files from your computer.

Open TomTom Home 2.4
Click on 'Remove items Items on Computer'
Select all the Safety Camera, Fuel Prices and quick GPS fix files
Click on Remove Items

STEP 4 Redownload your Safety Camera and Fuel Price Updates and Quick GPS Fix

In TomTom Home, make sure you are logged in to your account, then click on Update and Install.

You will be prompted to download everything again. Please click on Update and Install. Once complete, switch your TomTom off, disconnect it from the computer and switch it back on.

STEP 5 Enable the Safety Cameras
On the TomTom device, go to 'TomTom PLUS Services TomTom Safety Cameras'
Make sure that the alerts are enabled.
Tap 'Change Warning Preferences'
Select 'All'
Tap 'No' when asked to remove warnings
Choose warning time
Choose warning sound

Your Safety Cameras should now be installed and working. Please drive past some safety cameras to receive warnings.

Please note that Safety Camera alerts will only give an Audio Warning when you are travelling faster than 60% of the speed limit, or actually exceeding the speed limit. This feature is designed to stop you being needlessly warned when in slow moving traffic.

If you are traveling below 60% of the speed limit, then you will only see an icon on the TomTom screen and not and audio alert.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it work though?
As far as I can see, all they are telling you do do is remove the files from the TomTom using Home, which would do the same job as removing them yourself manually as suggested above. (except they forgot to tell you to remove the cached copy on your PC as well). It's obviously a "stock" reply as it refers to removing the speed cameras and Fuel Prices too, which isn't necessary.

Still, if it worked for you , that's the main thing!
moshchops27
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I partly used your advice, but the catalyst was a copy of the first quick gps file download stored on the Tomtom Home 'complete' folder of the computer. This was a copy I had left over from the first XL IQ I had. The backup of the XL IQ also contained some file info in the ephem folder. I copied this onto the replacement XL IQ - kept fingers crossed and this helped.

I dodn't fancy doing or the rest stuff that TT Cust Servs said, so I glad with your guidance I found a workign solution.

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: