Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT730 screen blanks out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT730 screen blanks out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: TT730 screen blanks out Reply with quote

Apologies if this issue has been raised before, but there seem so many issues nowadays with TTs that it is difficult to filter accurately. I was given a TT730 as a birthday present to replace my reliable but now old TT One. I have had all the usual and generally unacceptable problems with this new machine including not being able to connect the phone which worked happily with the One and what I thought was a flickering screen. With Mike Alder's valuable help I returned to O/S 8.302 and although my expensive phone continues not to connect for data with the 730 my old and cheap one does. I have even managed to get traffic to work both with the RDS-TMC (unreliably and not constant) and the phone. So far almost so good.
Two recent longish trips revealed a new problem. The first was a journey to York from Chelmsford Essex. After three hours, the screen of the 730 went completely blank - no maps no anything - as if it had turned off or failed completely. After 15 seconds it came back to life - but not with a boot up screen - just back to how it had been and appeared to be running normally. The RDS-TMC aerial was plugged in at the time. A little while later it did the same thing but wasn't off for so long. When I got home I installed o/s 8.302 and thought I had cured the problem.
Last weekend we went down to Longleat from Chelmsford. After about 3 hours, RDS-TMC aerial in, it blanked out again for 15 seconds and then returned to life as if nothing had happened, again no boot up. On the journey home four days later and using the phone for traffic not RDS-TMC, half an hour into the journey it blanked out again, blowing my theory that it was somehow time and RDS-TMC related. The rest of the journey it behaved itself.
I don't have a lot of extras loaded on the 730, only PGPS speed cameras so I don't think it is a memory problem. Am I the only one getting this and is it therefore in need of a repair? That seems a bit over the top for a unit which I have only had for a few weeks.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not normal behaviour, no.

You were on the car charger power at the time, I presume?
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Yes I was. I have read about the problems with battery drain and so always connect it to the car charger.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can imagine, it's always a hassle trying to nail down the cause of an issue when it appears the problem takes place at random.

You can try a reset of the unit and dl and run the Clear Flash tool found here three times. You won't lose any settings.

You don't happen to have the map on a sdhc card rather than in internal, do you? Just something else to consider...
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

I'll give that a go. I had already done a reset after changing the o/s but it's worth a go. The map was on internal memory not a card. by the way.

Thanks for the help.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be an intermittent loss of external power? Although if it was the battery should take over. Confused

If all else fails it might be worth trying a different lead, if you have one available, and cleaning the contacts in the ciggy lighter socket.
Samsung Galaxy S21
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Anita,

I had wondered about the power lead but as you say, the battery would take over. Given that when it bursts back to life all the voices etc worked, I don't think it can be a power issue as it is fully charged.

May I ask what I suspect is a really stupid question about the Clear Flash Tool? Having downloaded and installed it the TomTom web page instructions says

Quote:
When the installation has finished, the message Installation complete is displayed.
You are now ready to use the new application.

How exactly are you supposed to use the application? The only option appears to be to quit and the TomTom then reboots. Is that using the application - in TomTom speak? It tells me to install a memory card but the 730 comes only with internal memory although there is a slot for an sd card.
qkjb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS

I guess I could try to replicate the problem by pulling the power lead out of the ciggy lighter socket to see if that causes the blanking out.

Also the RDS-TMC would have died if only on battery as I have the USB connection, and it didn't

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: