Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Red Light or Gatso?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Light or Gatso?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geddit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Red Light or Gatso? Reply with quote

Seriously, from the conversation re Dorset Council combining red light and gatso cameras in Poole, how will such things be handled in the database?
Will they now be classified as gatsos or will a new variant have to be generated with a new warning... "Warning, Gatso and Red Light Camera ahead".

Regards
Jay
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are called "Redspeed" cameras and there are already loads of them in the database.
Instead of going in the general "RedLight " file, they are included in the "Gatso" speed categories, so a Redspeed camera in a 30MPH zone will go in the Gatso30 category file.

As an example, here's a selection of cameras in the current "Gatso30" file:

GATSO:1214@30
GATSO:1215@30
TRUVELO:61580@30
TRUVELO:61581@30
MONITRON:20182@30
GATSO:61198@30
GATSO:2956@30
GATSO:61132@30
REDSPEED:14093@30
GATSO:2213@30

... so there are actually a lot of different camera types in the "Gatso" files!

Hope that clears it up.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Instead of going in the general "RedLight " file, they are included in the "Gatso" speed categories, so a Redspeed camera in a 30MPH zone will go in the Gatso30 category file.

Andy,
Are you saying that once a RedLight camera is confirmed as including a speed check, it is actually removed from the Red Light file?
When you are verifying these, how do you physically tell that a RedLight camera has a speed function as well?

Sal
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they are identified as Redspeed, they are moved out of the Redlight category and into the Gatso (fixed, speed) category (new ones go directly into the fixed category). "Majority" opinion held the view that they'd be better in the fixed cameras category, as some people do not use the Redlight download. "Minority" opinion (me!) was to keep them in the Redlight category and always ensure you observe the speed limit. Last time it was discussed, it was not intended to create a new category, which would boost the database by an additional seven POIs. Note that the present database has only one category for all fixed cameras (excluding Specs average speed), irrespective of manufacturer type. Note also that our classification "Redspeed" is for a dual function camera and is NOT necessarily the camera manufactured by the Redspeed brandname company! Confused

The ones (not many) which I've verified have a couple of distinguishing features.
They're yellow, following speed camera guidance rules (for how much longer?).

They are Monitron type/shape/size (digital) and generally placed higher up than Gatsos (but then, so are all Monitrons).

They have road markings running through the light junction.

This last is the real identifier.
There have been quite a few submissions of change from Redlight to Redspeed which were done presumably on the basis of the camera shape/type/colour. One on the Bristol Ring Road was changed to Redspeed, but one day I happened to be held up at the lights when a nice man was up a ladder at it, so I was able to roll down the window and ask him and he said it was only Redlight. It did not have road markings. And the road markings are what I personally use for confirmation of them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Dennis, FWIW I agree with you.
To my mind a red light camera is always a red light camera, and if it has a speed check that is just an extra function.
As for the road markings, I wonder if the usual dotted lines are always necessary when there are frequently other road markings at a junction that can be used for the same purpose.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vested interest in Redlight cameras, because apart from a £2 parking fine in 1963, my only transgression was several years ago a red light which the Hofficer said I jumped. I said I didn't, but taking into consideration that I was a whitevanman and he was a Hofficer of the Law, I elected not to test our respective credibilities in court and surrendered and took £60 and the three points (which are long since aged away). Ruined a 40 year clean licence. Crying or Very sad

By road markings, I mean those little white lines at rightangles to your direction of travel, at specific intervals over about 20 yards (?) which they use to confirm your speed. I did once see mention of how many have to show between first and second photo, but it's way back beyond the range of my Dementia now. Don't worry, some Cleverclogs Southerner Softypants will jump in here in less time than a whatever and tell us. Wink
Quote:
Where the lines are 5' apart :-

Calculate distance travelled by multiplying the number of lines (between the two photo's) by the distance apart (e.g. 10 lines is 10 x 5' = 50 feet) and divide this by 0.6 (or 0.5, 0.7 etc., the time between the two photo's) to bring it to feet per second. Multiply the result by 60 to get to feet per minute. Multiply this by 0.0001894, the conversion factor to get to miles per minute. Finally multiply this by 60 to get to MPH.

Where the lines are 2m apart :-

Calculate distance travelled by multiplying the number of lines (between the two photo's) by the distance apart (e.g. 8 lines is 8 x 2m = 16 metres) and divide this by 0.6 (or 0.5, 0.7 etc., the time between the two photo's) to bring it to metres per second. Multiply the result by 60 to get to metres per minute. Multiply this by 0.0006214, the conversion factor to get to miles per minute. Finally multiply this by 60 to get to MPH.
I got the above quote from a post in pepipoo, but I haven't had the maths checked by Anita, so I've no idea whether it's accurate.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it not be better to have red speed cameras in both the redlight and gatso databases ?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjay2412 wrote:
would it not be better to have red speed cameras in both the redlight and gatso databases ?

Why Confused
Edit. See Andy-P's answer below Very Happy

Last edited by M8TJT on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have either of the "consolidated by type" or the "speed-zoned" sets of files installed, that would mean you got double warnings every time.
cjay2412
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but 1 warning would be for speed and the second redlight at present if a redlight camera doubles up as a speed camera the database dosen't warn you of its redlight capabilities unless i have mine set up wrong Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but isn't the single warning that there's a camera ahead enough?
Combined with the big red traffic light of course! Laughing

I suppose it's always something you could do yourself if you wished, using one of the POI editing programs.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there were 2 poi's at exactly the same coordinates then which would take priority? which would sound the warning - gatso or redlight? which icon would show on the screen gatso or redlight? either way you would still just get 1 warning...

MaFt
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
if there were 2 poi's at exactly the same coordinates then which would take priority? which would sound the warning - gatso or redlight? which icon would show on the screen gatso or redlight? either way you would still just get 1 warning...

On a TomTom, if you edit the files to add the redspeed entries from the gatso database into the redlight one, you could get two warnings. For example, the speed icon/voice could alert at 300yds and the redlight icon/voice at 100yds.

You'd have to do it every week though. Mad

Personally, I'd just use the big coloured lights stuck on the poles in the pavement to warn me of traffic lights. Sorry Dennis. Out of here
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: