Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 765T getting bricked in NA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 765T getting bricked in NA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was reading through it after i posted the question.

I wonder if Garmin will just do that or if they will really replace all these units?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please consider application update 3.6 mandatory for those with nuvi 7x5's.

@Paul, yes, disconnecting the battery for about 30 seconds has revived every device so far according to user posts. Important to then immediately apply the update. To be clear, I am not recommending that owners crack open their pnd and disconnect the battery. That's up to the comfort level of the owner. Garmin is exchanging dead devices for refurbs, or new if less than 60 days old if I understood correctly.

Also perfectly safe after that to re-flash the Chipset M update if offered.
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I took the plunge and cracked open my unit, although as other posters have said, this is not an encouragement for others to do so.
Luckily I had a set of opticians screwdrivers and one was small enough to fit snugly into the slot of the screws. Once the screws were out, I then resorted to a kitchen butter knife with a piece of paper wrapped around it to stop it marking the case. I managed to gingerly prise the case apart, disconnect the battery, wait 20 seconds and then reconnect it.
Whilst the unit was disconnected I fired up Webupdater and once I reconnected I plugged the unit into the USB port. I immediately downloaded the 3.60 update.
However, other posters recommended Safely Ejecting the device. That didn't seem to work for me (I have Windows 7 RC, if that makes any difference to things). So, I simply unplugged the unit from the USB and fortunately it went through the update cycle and then switched on.
After the update, I took the outside so it could acquire satellites and everything seemed ok. I carefully snapped the case back and replaced the screws and everything seems fine.
I'm just going to take it out for a quick spin.

Thanks to the posters who outlined this method to get the unit back.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well mine has gone back to Expansys as Garmin offered to repair it for me! For a 8 day old unit, not good enough. Pretty quick with the mail to me though.
Have now bought a Nuvi 775T which Garmin told me to update through Webupdater as soon as I get it. Don't let it get to the satellites!
So we shall see. This is all a shame really as I was enjoying this unit after using and selling a Navigon.
Doug
Lost-by-Satnav
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine went back to the distributors today under an RMA and they are supplyling me with a 865T to compensate for my problems which will be with me tomorrow.

Dragged my old TT G700 out of the recycle bin to get me through the "dead zone" and despite no map upgrades for a couple of years it never missed a beat and the hands-free is still my favourite.

I suppose I'll have a different set of problems now...

Ken
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang Garmin and they said to send it back using an RMA number. They also said they would just replace it for a Refurbished 765t
shinydoc
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost-by-Satnav wrote:
Mine went back to the distributors today under an RMA and they are supplyling me with a 865T to compensate for my problems which will be with me tomorrow.

Dragged my old TT G700 out of the recycle bin to get me through the "dead zone" and despite no map upgrades for a couple of years it never missed a beat and the hands-free is still my favourite.

I suppose I'll have a different set of problems now...

Ken

Hope you get on better than I do with my 865T, it's always crashing. The bluetooth connection, particularly with the FM transmitter is the worst integration ever! Sometimes I get my old StreetPilot 2610 out, as that has never let me down.
gzkbbx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Are Garmin UK affiliated with Ryanair for Customer Relations Reply with quote

Calling Garmin UK this morning they claim no problems with the 765t only suggestion is to try soft reboot (failed). Now I must return the unit to Southhampton at my cost (see small print in the manual)

As originally supplied by Amazon I shall try them, if I had bought at Costco I would have no problems as they know how to deal with bad suppliers.

Pity I havent my jeweller tools as it looks like theere are only two screws holdit together
expats
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 765T bricked yesterday as well. I am also not happy about sending mine back at my cost (as it would need to go special delivery as well).

I have had 2 laptops needing repair jobs, one of which cost considerably less to buy, but would have cost more to produce, and both manufacturers arranged a courier to pick-up.

I find it disgusting that such a cheap to produce item (only in my opinion as I have worked in the electronic trade in the past), which costs so much to purchase, should require extra expense to fix when less than 6 weeks old.

Mine's going back to the retailer for a refund.
Urb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Replaced 360T with Dead 765T Reply with quote

Got new 765T last week from Halfords
(had a twice replaced 360T - faultless for over last three years).
Lasted just 5 days - gave up the ghost completely.
Replaced by Halfords with another - lasted less then 1 day.
Changed at Halfords for a 730 TomTom, horrible (would not play mp3 or .aa files, problems with post-codes) returned the next day, no argument, refunded.
I have now let them know the problems with the Garmin.
Looked at the new 1390T (has less features for more money??)
Now Halfords is the one, what service, the customer treated as someone special.
Have I moved Countries?
timjrob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to the comments about Garmin saying that bricked units have to be returned at their owner's own cost, surely this is not legal.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, products sold have to be of "Satisfactory Quality".
This means that Goods will be of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory. It is a relative standard dependant on matters such as price and description. Aspects of quality include durability, safety, appearance, and freedom from minor defects.

Thanks to the new European Regulations, UK law now offers greater protection for consumers against products which develop faults within the first 6 months. The assumption is now that if it breaks down within this time period it cannot have conformed to the contract specification when purchased and you have the right to an automatic repair or replacement.

I would have thought that any costs relating to such a replacement or repair should be met by the manufacturer, in this case, Garmin.

Anybody know any more about this?

Sources;

http://www.elc.org.uk/pages/lawlegalglossary.htm

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/
citron
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Mine's gone now. Reply with quote

OH DEAR, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Mad Mad
I wish I had read this a few days ago, Switched mine on last night, it couldnt find sattellites, then it did an Auto update then it went as Dead as a DoDo. Rung Garmin this morning and they gave me a return number, they say it will take 10 working days to replace. That doesn't help me as I am going abroad next Thursday. Guess I'll have to find my old Street Pilot III and remember how that worked At least I have all my favorit POI's backed up and can load them onto that even if the maps are 5 years old!

I think Garmin should consider giving us all a new 800 series model as a relacement/ compensation as that seems to be fault free. Any one agree? What are the chances????? Pigs might fly as they say !!
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, I bought my recently deceased 765T from Halfords about 3 months ago so I took it back. They replaced it with a new 765T Very Happy and after 90 minutes up registering, updating maps, etc. it is up and running (in the house). Much quicker than waiting for Garmin to eventually send me a reconditioned unit. The unit has pin-pointed my house (so it is receivng signals), but I haven't yet been out for a drive with it. So far I have also chickened out of updating the chip software, which I plan to avoid unless the unit has problems. Is there a need to update the chip software? Happy with Garmin again.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated it and there's no problem. It seems it was the Firmware and not the chipset that was the issue.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you PaulB2005.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: