Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 765T getting bricked in NA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 765T getting bricked in NA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,
What do you have to do to check this out? I went round the block, put my home address in and came back. Not a long run but at least it seems okay. Got satilites (sp) etc okay. Had this about three weeks with the latest software.
Doug
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my 765 yesterday with no problems, twice this evening I had the message on screen saying GPS Update Complete, after that I had to restart it and it did it again. Mine is a unit I bought from eBay that I think was a German import.

I'm not turning it on again until a definite fix is found, I don't want it being bricked.
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's bricked. For the last couple of days I intermittently got a grey screen, a bit like a screen saver sort of thing. So I tapped the screen and it disappeared. Today, I was using it at lunchtime and got a Searching for Satellites message. Then with a barely audible pop, it died, never to return despite my trying various things. I have it charging via USB right now, but it's more out of hope rather than expectation that it will do any good.
Judging from the other posts, I assume it's best to wait for Garmin to email me?
AFAIK mine is a UK model, however I bought it from Costco and I think it does have US maps on it. Maybe an import?
Oh drat. I'm driving to the South of France in 4 weeks and was relying on the unit to get me there. The wife is decidedly unimpressed and is insisting I buy a map of France!
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's bricked, I wouldn't wait for Garmin to contact you, I'd phone them in the morning but expect to be holding on for a long time for them to answer.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines bricked too now.

Alan
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Looking at other forums it appears that there is a preventive fix which is to force an update back to the 2.50 firmware. The renaming of the update files obviously doesn't work on it's own.

If you have bricked the unit apparently disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds brings it back to life. Obviously if you then leave it, it'll die again but it might give you enough time to revert to Firmware 2.50.

To revert to Firmware 2.50:
You do this at your own risk. In the past there have been instances where backdating a firmware has disabled functions such as Bluetooth. If you have a working unit it may be better to leave the unit switched off and wait for an official fix from Garmin.

1) Download http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__250.gcd
2) Plug the unit into your PC
3) Rename the following files on the unit:

x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD
x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin

to

x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.GCD.old
x:/Garmin/RemoteSW/006B073300.bin.old

4) Drag the nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__250.gcd file to your WebUpdater icon and drop it on the icon.
5) Follow instructions.
6) Hard reset. With the unit OFF, press down bottom LEFT corner of the screen and switch on. Wait from prompt and say Yes.

I can't guarantee this will work but it seems to have worked for someone else.

ETA: Added file renaming step 3.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:59 am; edited 2 times in total
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaimg the files and rolling back to 2.50 seems to have worked here. Initially it lost signal after 2 minutes but a restart seems to have fixed it.

Will be taking it out later.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up after it bricked on me - I've taken it back to Halfords and got a Tomtom GO 730T instead.

Alan
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been out for 20 minutes driving about an no problems so far. The only time it's lost GPS Lock so far is when i switched the GPS Simulator ON. After 10 minutes i switches the GPS Simulator OFF and it showed no bars for about 10 minutes. Restarted unit and it immediately got 5 green bars.

Driving round with and without a route set no problems.

Hopefully this'll help those who haven't switched their 7x5 on yet!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Paul......Sergzak in the thread link I posted initially here has now got bitten by the same problem even after rolling back to 2.50.

Read the last few posts on page 3 of the thread (at least, that's what it's up to as I type this) for his comments, observations and something else he has tried to resolve the situation.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His recent edit seems to suggest a Reset has now fixed it.

Quote:
Grasping at straws, I did a "clear all user data" (press & hold bottom-right corner of screen while powering unit on) still running firmware v2.50 and went for a 30 minute drive, just roaming around town waiting to see how long it took for the sats signal to take a dump...well, the unit was rock solid throughout. I even removed the unit from the cradle once, then reinstalled it & powered on with zero issues.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made a giant bo bo; I assumed something about Garmin support. Having repeatedly suffered the 'acquiring' problem for the last few days I checked out the Garmin site using the Webupdater, which told me that, inter alia, there was a software update for the chipset. I downloaded and installed it and POW! my satnav was instantly transformed into a brick. So, do not update the chipset software from the Garmin website just yet. I had assumed [1] that Garmin were by now very (emtremely even) aware of the problem and had removed the suspect chip software from their website, and [2] if chip update software were there it would be a patch for the current problem. What a fool. Looks like I will be visiting Halfords for a refund and a possible look at Navigon 7310 or Navman Spirit 500. These two (plus obvious other) satnav makers must be laughing themselves daft at Garmin's predicament and the sales opportunities that may follow. Embarassed
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what Firmware or Update you downloaded? I though the 3.40 Firmware had been pulled too?
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no. There were several options (tick boxes) shown for traffic messages, chipset, voices, etc. and each one had a different version number.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been out to drop something off and back. 1.5 miles each way. On the way the unit lost all signal 3 times, the first just 10 doors up from my house! Each time it would restart and get full GPS Lock and then loose it within a few doors.

On the way back, exact same route in reverse and full lock all the way...

It's been sitting here on my desk for 10 minutes with full lock and suddenly nothing...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: