Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Location in an emergency !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Location in an emergency !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Location in an emergency ! Reply with quote

Hi all

With my Active 10 I have noticed my bike rides are getting ever longer and more off road down cylce tracks and through woods

I now wonder what would happen if I fell off my bike and was knocked out in terms of people finding me.

Could I be tracked by my 'old' sendo M550 phone which is on the tesco O2 networked or is it not that easy.

Wondered if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on such an issue.

Many thanks

Mike
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you hear about tracking people via their mobile signal, it's usually based on which cell they are in. In town centres this may be enough to get to within a few roads but in the countryside it could be an area of a few miles or more. The "tracking" is done by working out which cell tower you were connected to and when.

Also, I'm not sure what hoops have to be dived through to get the info from the telco. I doubt that it's a quick system or who needs to do the asking etc.

The standard procedure when going off the beaten track is to make sure someone knows where you are going and what time to expect you back.
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me quite a while to locate This Thread which offers a very simple approach to enable the emegency services to find out details of an individual or relatives. Simply store contact details in your phones address book under "ICE_1" "ICE_2" etc, if you are found injured the emergency services simply have to look at your phone to locate these numbers.

The active10 has no way of linking to another device such as a phone to relay information, quite often when I go out walking there is no mobile signal so tracking in real time isn't viable, but if I were injured it would be easy for someone to use the ICE numbers stored in my phone to contact my wife etc, you can even add ICE contacts to the phone book on a TomTom - Mike
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did hear a month or so ago a dicussion that was around a personal locator
GPS based
At the moment these devices ARE not available in this country - but
MIGHT be after going through varying hoops. Safety, who would authorise them, who would monitor the signal and what sanctions would apply to false alarms etc.
They are available in various overseas places; i believe Australia was
mentioned.
So They might become available at some near future time.

I foolishly bought a mobile phone some years back to go walking in the Peak district (the Dark Peak) has many blank signal spots
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It took me quite a while to locate This Thread which offers a very simple approach to enable the emegency services to find out details of an individual or relatives. Simply store contact details in your phones address book under "ICE_1" "ICE_2" etc, if you are found injured the emergency services simply have to look at your phone to locate these numbers.

The active10 has no way of linking to another device such as a phone to relay information, quite often when I go out walking there is no mobile signal so tracking in real time isn't viable, but if I were injured it would be easy for someone to use the ICE numbers stored in my phone to contact my wife etc, you can even add ICE contacts to the phone book on a TomTom - Mike

This sounds like a great idea once someone is found............my main concern the other week when cycling along a path that appeared not to have been used for years is 'would I be found in time' if I had an accident and I was knocked out. Just to add I do take extra care when it such situations !

Many thanks

Mike
eranou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

Take a look at this link, may be useful.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5303

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: