Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are live services worth it??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are live services worth it??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst it's true the POIs from here are more accurate as they'll be positioned accurately by hand the Google Search is brilliant for those times you need something you don't have a POI file for. Usually these are postcode based and the accuracy can be a bit hit and miss but if you are desperate to find, say, a local tyre replacement company and don't have a POI file for any of them Google Search will normally get you close enough to spot it.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Maps does the same thing.....

And it's Free to anyone with a mobile phone that runs Google Maps. Laughing Very Happy

I certainly would not pay for Live Services which is why I bought a 930 and not a 940.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Google Maps does the same thing.....

And it's Free to anyone with a mobile phone that runs Google Maps.

and if you don't have a mobile phone with Google Maps????

And to be honest it's not free is it? You pay a monthly fee for the phone and the package so it's not that much different to having Live Services on an x40.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aerotec wrote:
TT Home offers me 12 months for £95.99. The only way I can see to pay £79.99 is by purchasing the prepay card.

Just tried it again and it is still £79.99. When you device is connected in Home, add traffic, voices etc, then either traffci or Live Services and it comes up with the three options and the £95.99 option has a strikethrough and beneath it in red £79.99.

What is interesting is that is offering "Live Services + ABROAD" less than 2 weeks after I bought Live Services United Kingdom for the same price, now that has annoyed me going to France in a few weeks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is interesting is that is offering "Live Services + ABROAD" less than 2 weeks after I bought Live Services United Kingdom for the same price, now that has annoyed me going to France in a few weeks.

It's a free update every x40 user will get by the end of the year. It's been covered in a thread here which i'll try and find. Basically the new TT XL Live units get UK and Europe Live Services, however x40 users will be upgraded for free by the end of the year. So you'll still get ABROAD when it's rolled out...

Edit: From TomTom Live

Quote:
...if you already have a paid subscription to LIVE Services your device will be able to receive LIVE Services across the Netherlands, the UK, Switzerland and France, with no extra costs, before the end of this year. You will receive a message on your device to inform you when you can receive the LIVE Services in other countries.
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been updating my TT940. (OT but just discovered you have to change to the North America Maps to get Home to look for any map share updates and other associated downloads, what a pain).

Anyway in Home I see there are 2 ways to buy the updates - through "Traffic" and through "Live Services". Both now have a line through the £95.99 and offer me the 12 month service for £79.99. Definitely didn't have that the other day. Wonder if it is a result of me having email TT to enquire?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just phoned TomTom and they confirmed that I have bought the new "Live + Abroad" package rather than the UK. However it will not be working before the end of the year due to roaming agreements. When you look in Home is appears that the abroad part is being offered now.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well my x40 is starting to show incidents in north France now so hopefully not too long...
DenzB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Had my 740 for about 2 months and so far I am very pleased.

HD traffic works OK for me and seems pretty accurate.

Google search is superb as my Daughter loves TKmaxx, so now can do the tour, also shows phone numbers so can check times etc.

Speed camera's not bad although some older camera's appear to be missing on M4 near Heathrow and Heston services.

Will be subscribing when trial ends, as been pretty useful so far.

All in all 740 is doing everything I need. So I am not missing my Origin B2 as much as I thought I would.

Very Happy
nigelmuskett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 940 and am happy with the live services.

On a couple of occasions when I knew best and ignored the indicated route I have come to an abrupt halt on the M40 and M42.

I signed up to the monthly services when it was only monthly and my question is -

Has anybody changed from monthly to a yearly payment? and did you use the tomtom or home to do it without problems?

Thanks
Nigel M.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nigelmuskett wrote:
I signed up to the monthly services when it was only monthly and my question is -

Has anybody changed from monthly to a yearly payment? and did you use the tomtom or home to do it without problems?

Thanks
Nigel M.

Yes, I've done this. You have to ask support to cancel your service. Then they take the cancellation from the next payment, and then take a final payment. This should give you "three months" service, but will probably actually stop working a few weeks early. Once it has expired, you can buy the one year subscription. Apart from the faff of it, it works okay.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: