Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO720 Avoid toll brdiges,How do i know if it has avoided it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO720 Avoid toll brdiges,How do i know if it has avoided it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: GO720 Avoid toll brdiges,How do i know if it has avoided it? Reply with quote

Im planning a trip from EX1 2AW to BS8 1RL,And the message pops up avoid toll bridge,So i tap yes but it takes the same amount of time,How do i know if im going to bypass the toll bridge,If the only way is to go through the toll bridge i will not be going to that place,So this is why i need to know if i can bypass it.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toll charge is the Clifton Suspension bridge. It can be avoided.

After planning your route select "Details" from the lower left of the screen and then"Browse map of route". If you zoom into the Bristol area and look to see where you are crossing the river the route with the toll charge should use the Clifton Suspension Bridge and the route without the toll charge will probably go over the river at Brunel Way.
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks

Ive done what you have said but how do you zoom in?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wigfield wrote:
Ive done what you have said but how do you zoom in?

when browsing the map drag it around by placing your finger on it and moving it until Bristol is roughly central on the screen, then use the slider control on the right hand side of the screen to zoom in or out. Moving the slider towards the bottom of the screen zooms in. If you tap on a road with your finger the name of the road will be shown.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For information, the Clifton Suspension Bridge toll is 50 pence. It'll be extra miles (2-5 depending on alternate) to avoid it, so judge for yourself the comparative costs, if it's cost that bothers you.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both of you,I got it now Smile
casper256
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will know because you will not have paid any tolls
i hve had tomtom for 7 years
if i select avoid tolls it does
have faith
sorry could not resist
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

casper256 wrote:
you will know because you will not have paid any tolls
i hve had tomtom for 7 years
if i select avoid tolls it does
have faith
sorry could not resist

Yeah but, No but, Yeah but. If you navigate from Bristol to Cardiff it'll cost you 44 miles, 46 minutes (according to MS Autoroute) and £5.40 Severn Bridge Toll. If you Avoid tolls, the route via Gloucester is 105 miles, 1Hr 46 minutes. My van does roughly 10 pence per mile in fuel alone, so the cost is very similar, but the time and extra wear are noticeable.

wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks i will trust good old tom Laughing Out Loud

If it did send me over the toll bridge do you think i could claim the money off tomtom Laughing
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M6 toll is a bit more tricky decision to make as it takes roughly the same time and distance as the main M6, so it it is only traffic congestion you want to avoid.

I tried this yesterday evening and HD Traffic went mad driving down the M6 from Lancashire trying to change the route back and forth between the two M6 routes due to an accident somewhere around J4 with delays frequently changing betwen 48 and 4 minutes. The number of times I was asked if I wanted a faster route was actually becoming irritating. In the end I took the M6 toll and it seemed I was the only person on it. Needless to say when I got to where the old M6 rejoins, there was no traffic joining from it and apart from a load of cones, there was no sign of the accident.

It would be good if you could set a minimum time or distance parameter in the toll roads option for it to choose the route.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a feature for future Tom Tom's with LIVE or GPRS capability would be to pull down data on prices for tolls. In the UK I know pretty much every charge for Tolls so I don't need it. Others might. And if I go to the South of France in the Motorhome it would be good to know how much the cost would be instead of a blanket avoidance.

Combine this with the ability to define your vehicle type and it would be very useful. Motorhomers would especially appreciate this (commercials will probably never be covered because they will charge a premium for this). If you have a tag-axle motorhome they often charge you commercial rates. It must be defined somewhere. Would be great if you could decide which to avoid from a list.

A good example would be the Mont Blanc Tunnel which requires a remortgage to enter! If you're heading from the UK I'm pretty sure there are ways to avoid it with little impact on the overall journey time but saving a lot. But other roads you might use are only a few Euros and run for many miles so are worth it.

A simple list with price and distance covered for the fee combined with a select or avoid box for each entry would be useful.

An example to illustrate defining your vehicle type would be the aforementioned M6 toll road which, despite most motorhomes being classed as PLG, always charge you a tenner if you are a motorhome with no dispute allowed.
Holux GPSslim
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about my Renault Kangoo van, then? Described as car-derived, it is exactly the same dimensions as a Kangoo car. The Severn Bridge toll for the Kangoo car is currently £5.50, for my van £10.90. A great big Landrover is also charged car price and it dwarfs my van and can carry more weight too. Evil or Very Mad

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How about my Renault Kangoo van, then? Described as car-derived, it is exactly the same dimensions as a Kangoo car. The Severn Bridge toll for the Kangoo car is currently £5.50, for my van £10.90.
You could always use some stick on darkened windows to fool the toll person. Razz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
How about my Renault Kangoo van, then? Described as car-derived, it is exactly the same dimensions as a Kangoo car. The Severn Bridge toll for the Kangoo car is currently £5.50, for my van £10.90.
You could always use some stick on darkened windows to fool the toll person. Razz

Do such things exist? Temporary ones to apply and remove as necessary?

MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
How about my Renault Kangoo van, then? Described as car-derived, it is exactly the same dimensions as a Kangoo car. The Severn Bridge toll for the Kangoo car is currently £5.50, for my van £10.90. A great big Landrover is also charged car price and it dwarfs my van and can carry more weight too. Evil or Very Mad

I don't know the Severn Bridge Toll system, but if it is anything like Dartford or the M6 toll, don't you just chuck your cash into a big pot, so how does it know the difference between the van and the car?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: