Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8.351
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8.351
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Moral of the story is add the Navcore on top of previous Navcores.

I ahve had no problems doing it the TT official way - If I put my day 1 backup on of 7.221 I get an update to 8.300, then 8.301, then 8.351 (I think - it may offer 8.350 as well).

This way no files are missing.

And that is the way I have done it. I do not use the SD card other than for MP3's. I formatted the unit, connected it up, took the first application and updated from there. Somewhere along the line, they have left out files. I agree with you Andy, update to main memory.

Regardless, any joy with the phone providers updates anyone, the unit is getting stuck as, I think, it is using old data when trying to establish a data network. It is connecting to the mobile, the mobile has authorised the connetion and it is connecting to the net.

Jeff
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check HOME for the items on your computer - it has a habit of not offering updates if you have already downloaded them, even if the unit needs them.

You should have the phone database downloaded already from previous updates.

Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc - Items on my computer

If you don't have them I am sure someone can make them available.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home doesn't recognise my SD card with 8.351

Until & including 8.350 I could have the o/s on an SD card & update the card via Home using a card reader. TomTom Home recognised the card, booted up & treated it in exactly the same way as it would my 520 but since I bit the bullet yesterday & allowed Home to update the SD card from 8.350 – 8.351 it is no longer recognised by TomTom Home. To confirm this I reverted back to 8.350 using my backup & let Home update to 8.351 again. Home then directed me to remove the card from the card reader, put it in the TomTom, switch on, boot, switch off & put the card back in the computer. Everything seems to be working, the 520 boots without problem but again Home no longer recognises the card.

Searching Help I found this:-

Note: SD cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through HOME in a card reader, HOME will not recognise the card.

But it was never a problem until 8.351 - Strange Shocked

Edit: The card shows up fine on the computer
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a politician would say, I refer you to my previous answer Laughing

Why does everyone feel the need to run Navcores off of SD Cards??

Backup before an upgrade, update the internal memory and if you don't like it, roll back. You can always manually copy the backup to an SD card if you want the option of dual booting different Navcores.

HOME has always been flakey with SD Cards.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

Does ‘everyone’ ?

AndyVaughan wrote:
Backup before an upgrade, update the internal memory and if you don't like it, roll back.

I had a full backup hence I was able to roll back to previous o/s

AndyVaughan wrote:

Is this your experience or ‘everyone’ as above. It certainly isn’t mine as I had no problem until now but my post was to illustrate an anomaly I had come across with Navcore 8.351, the subject of the thread. I am aware of the ongoing debate on the use of SD cards and I use one because:-

a. My TomTom seems to be smoother when running from a high speed SD card &
b. I usually update my TomTom at work & it’s much easier to do it via an SD card & reader than carry the cradle around

Unfortunately, whether I am right or wrong using an SD card & home in this way is now irrelevant as TomTom have now made it impossible, which is all I was trying to say in my original post.
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried my HCSD card with tomtom navcore 8.351 installed.
I put the card into my card reader and TomTom Home did recognize it and allowed me to update to the card in the card reader.
How strange - tomtom does it again !!!

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonial wrote:
I have just tried my HCSD card with tomtom navcore 8.351 installed.
I put the card into my card reader and TomTom Home did recognize it and allowed me to update to the card in the card reader.
How strange - tomtom does it again !!!

Very strange, I even did the upgrade to 8.351 twice to double check that it wasn't a one off - I checked the root to make sure all the files are there & it's almost identical to 8.350 with nothing missing as far as I can see. I'm really scratching my head now so I'll try a manual install later Shocked

UPDATE:

I've just rolled back to 8.350 & done a manual upgrade to 8.351 & hey presto my SD card opens up Home again, so thanks to jonial for the info an apology to AndyVaughan as I have also now had problems with Home & SD cards. Embarassed

Cheers
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

I can't speak for "everyone", but I do it because it's not possible to test every possible eventuality while in the vicinity of a computer. If I run into a problem with the new application while on the road I can easily remove the SD card with the new app, and run the tried and tested app from the internal memory.
Samsung Galaxy S21
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't speak for "everyone", but I do it because it's not possible to test every possible eventuality while in the vicinity of a computer. If I run into a problem with the new application while on the road I can easily remove the SD card with the new app, and run the tried and tested app from the internal memory.

Exactly the same reasons here. Having been caught out before by a couple of crap Garmin firmware updates (which can only be loaded to the unit and aren't always capable of being rolled back) which contained major problems and which weren't apparent until you were out on the road, i wanted to check things this way.

Plus it is easier to contrast two (or more) NavCores by swapping SD Cards in and out. From what i can see it used to be the way to do this but then TT made what appears to be an un-announced ommission of some folders.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
Home doesn't recognise my SD card with 8.351
{snip}
Searching Help I found this:-

Note: SD cards used with GO x20, x30 or x40 navigation devices are not intended to be used separately in a card reader. Hence if you access one of these cards through HOME in a card reader, HOME will not recognise the card.

But it was never a problem until 8.351 - Strange Shocked

AndyVaughan wrote:

{snip}

Just to confuse everyone even more.... Smile

I have to run my 720 totally off an SD card since the internal memory permanently corrupted/died a few months ago.

For a while, I could carry on using Home and telling it to use the SD card.

But now, in direct opposite to what TomTom say above, Home refuses to recognise the card UNLESS I use a card reader, even though Windows can see it fine.
Sticking it in a reader, doing the updates and then then following the instructions to put it back in the machine, boot up, shut down again and put it back in the reader if I want to carry on using Home, seems to work OK so far.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly, not 'everyone' runs Navcores off of SD cards.

I have had problems on and off through HOME with SD cards, so I always take it out when connecting to HOME.

Because of this I adopted the strategy of running everything off of the internal mem as TT originally designed.

Another reason for this is the constant troubleshooting I have been going through with TT support over the dubious handsfree functionality, and to save any 'excuses' from TT about because I am running off of the SD card etc I have stayed with everything on the internal mem.

I usually carry a copy of a different Navcore on SD card complete with maps for testing / comparison purposes, as well as an SD card full of mp3s with me.

I know others prefer to do it the other way round, old navcore on mem, new navcore on SD. Given the problems this can cause with file locations etc I prefer the other way round. This isn't the first release that has had files missing IIRC it might have been 7.481 or 7.221. The interesting thing is they were also 'minor' releases so were to address issues with the preceding 'major' release and were released within a matter of days.

This is fairly common practice that you have to have the previous 'major' release before patching with the 'minor' release. Or maybe TT did just cock up and miss some files out Laughing
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mention earlier, I have got rid off some recent backups (next time onto a dvd!!). Where would any phone updates etc be stored on the tt unit? I still have an older back up on another drive, January this year, looks to have all the folders.

Just aside, perhaps we need a sticky with the complete list of folders a tt shoud be running. Something for people to check against if they suspect something might be missing.

Jeff
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three files you need are connect2internet.so , connect2internetdb.ver and connect2internet.db

If you PM me your email address I will send you the version 15 phone database, which AFAIK is the latest.

The other culprit for phone problems is the contents of the ppp folder - you can safely delete the contents and they will be recreated when you pair your phone again.
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
The three files you need are connect2internet.so , connect2internetdb.ver and connect2internet.db

I have those 3 files but I also have a file named connect2internetdb.enc. What should I do with that?

Jeff
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion_jb2001 wrote:
AndyVaughan wrote:

I have those 3 files but I also have a file named connect2internetdb.enc. What should I do with that?

Jeff

that other file seems to be one created as you do a bluetooth connection. I deleted the contents of the ppp folder, re paired the mobile and tt, but the tt did not create anything within that ppp folder. The tt set up ok for hands free but again stalled at the data connection. I have used the same mobile before sucessfully in data connection with the tt, before you ask.

Jeff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: