Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Touch Diamond - no GPS signal, help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Touch Diamond - no GPS signal, help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toby77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Touch Diamond - no GPS signal, help! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I've just got my HTC Touch Diamond http://www.mypocketpcmobile.com/FullReviewHTCTouchDiamond/tabid/247/Default.aspx, and I can't get it to find ANY satellites in either Google Maps or TomTom Navigator 6.
It has worked on a couple of occasions - both programs have been able to locate satellites, but only once or twice, and only after about 30 mins of searching (!!)

I'm guessing it's a configuration problem or conflict of some kind, given the fact that it has found 5 or 6 satellites a couple of times.
The QuickGPS is up-to date, and Assisted GPS is active according to Advanced Config.

Has anyone else had this problem on the Diamond, or with WM 6.1? Does anyone have any clue how I might be able to resolve it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Toby
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and sorry for the delay in answering the question, can you confirm you are located outside with the device and have a clean line of sight to the sky when trying to use the device, also you should remain stationary until the unit works out where you are.

It could be your car windscreen that is causing problems, but I would expect a position fix in under 30 seconds with your phone - Mike
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't say if you were located in the USA or not. This tends to make a rather big difference if you're utilising A-GPS; it'll work fine in the USA, but it tends on a lot of phones to stuff things up when outside the coverage of the mainly USA-only A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System) network.

The A-GPS system utilises what can best be simply described as mast-end triangulation, so as to enhance the startup performance of a GPS satellite-based positioning system. It is used extensively with GPS-capable cellular phones as its development was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's 911 mandate making the location of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers.

As a result, when the phone-end of the system is enabled, and there is no A-GPS data to be found from the active cell mast, it can, and has in one or two cases, stuffed up on-board cell-phone GPS receives a treat.

I'd therefore try disabling A-GPS, and trying again, and seeing what happens. Note that A-GPS is NOT the same as QuickGPS!

More info links:
A-GPS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS
QuickGPS: http://www.htcwiki.com/thread/939263/How+Quick+GPS+Works?t=anon (first post)
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The symptoms you describe sound a lot like the well documented conflict between AGPS and QGPS.

The signs are visible in the TomTom GPS config screen, showing continual cycling between satalite fix (blue bars) and no satalite fix (no blue bars).

Both AGPS and QGPS supply ephemeris data to the device. The two systems are targeted at two different user groups.

1. Groups with a data connection and intend to keep the data upto date (QGPS will update the file weekly over GPRS / 3G / PC sync data connection)

2. Groups without a data connection (AGPS via a cell tower transmission at each start up).

The device does not need two sets of similar data and indeed frequently causes conflict.

Choose the group you fall into and visit the HD Tweak & Diamond Tweak site. This excellent tweak soft will allow you to disable the AGPS. Tweak No 18.5. Its free.

Did this on my Touch HD in November and never had a problem since.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much better worded description of the problem (and a decent solution too) - thanks Mullet Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: