Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - It seems I'm not alone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

It seems I'm not alone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdauser wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance, but what would the additional space be useful for, I mean are we talking mp3 files here, or complete map copying etc.

Personally, whenever there's a new application available I always install it to the card first, as the device will always boot from the card if there's an application present there. If I experience problems it's simple to revert to the old version, even on the road, by removing the card. I use it from the card until I'm confident there are no problems, and only then copy it to the internal memory.

I do the same with new maps, and your 930 maps wouldn't fit on a 1MB card.

I don't use the mp3 facility, but if you do this is obviously another good use for the card.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people go mad with stuff on the SD cards. MP3s, photos, audiobooks, I don't know what. It's certainly a small lump on which you can store zillions of MP3s, which definitely appeals to some. In fact, size is totally irrelevant in that it will sit inside the 930 permanently, taking up no space at all and you can play your MP3s through the 930's FM or lineout or bluetooth into your car stereo. Like Anita, I don't bother with them - that may be something to do with the fact that I'm so useless at MP3 stuff that I can't manage to get any onto the SD card in the first place - I did it once, but I can't remember how. But your 930 will cope happily at the moment with all its workings on internal storage and you could use the SD card simply for MP3s or whatever without conflicting with the internal storage - you can have MP3s on BOTH internal and external storage simultaneously and it'll display both for selection to play - you could have boomy boomy stuff on the internal and decent Black Dyke Mills Band on the card and then the hooligan kids could have boom or you could have decent stuff depending who's in charge at the time.

Or like Anita (and me) you could have an alternate set of files to run the 930 from, and/or load another map on (because she's such an international person, Anita has a South Africa map too). And it's all no bigger in your pocket or handbag than the original 930.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies Anita and Dennis. I don't think I'll be bothering with the Mp3's seeing as I'm still getting the hang of putting cd's into my car's boot loader and I still haven't managed to work out how to turn off the 930's jukebox. As for the 930 fm thing, I fiddled about with my cars fm tuner for ages and couldn't find an empty frequency anywhere on it(mind you I found loads of empty ones on my home radio so that's wierd), so I don't think I'll be using that particular feature either. However, I do like the idea of the audio books, but sourcing and downloading them is another major step for me!

Like you two, I guess I should be considering the use of a sd card for the additional files etc, just let me get the audio books challenge out of the way first!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't (well I don't on my 920) turn off the jukebox, you click the pause button then go away. Don't ask me to explain TT logic in this. Rolling Eyes It's probably similar to why the power off button doesn't turn the device off. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually that's what I've been doing Dennis, but it didn't feel right using the pause button, leaving it like its lurking there in the background.
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
Backups via TT Home have been found to be unreliable, so we always recommend backing up via Windows Explorer.

Instructions can be found here, #1, and it's worth spending a little time reading through the rest of the FAQs.

Thanks for the link Anita, I just noticed it!!

Paul
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdauser wrote:
Thanks for the link Anita, I just noticed it!!

Thumbs Up
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: