Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - It seems I'm not alone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

It seems I'm not alone
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: It seems I'm not alone Reply with quote

I've just become the owner of a 'new' ttg 930t. Initially I had problem with tt home, with firstly a map update crash, then a whole evening where my ttg 930 no longer existed as far as home was concerned. I reinstalled home on my xp laptop, but when i connected the tt 930, it couldn't be seen on my computer yet alone tt home. So, I gave up with that laptop, and did the paperclip job on the 930. I've now managed to sucessfully(after 3 attempts) download home on my other vista laptop as well as make the necessary connections with my 930, it took a while (6 hours) to update the maps, but I got there in the end. I'm afraid to connect back up to home now after the last fiasco.

Since then my 930 has been behaving slightly odd, minor things albeit, but it does worry me. I've being using co pilot on an mda compact for years with very little problem - the 930 and home are quite the opposite. This bit of kit isn't exactly cheap and as such should have a degree of reliabilty that mirror its premium price, but it and tomtom do not. Don't get me wrong the 930 does have some very nice features, but when you pay top price for something you expect top quality, unfortunately it seems that in this area that tomtom(in spite of years of experience) just can't deliver.
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: I should also say Reply with quote

This site is excellent - its far more use coming here than going to Tomtom support!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: I should also say Reply with quote

pdauser wrote:
This site is excellent - its far more use coming here than going to Tomtom support!

So you DID find the advice to backup your device using Windows Explorer?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tomtom's may have nice features but half the time the features never work. Anyone can claim their products have great features!
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: I should also say Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
pdauser wrote:

Actually Dennis, I don't think I have done that. I have done it with tt home, but given its track record, that could be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backups via TT Home have been found to be unreliable, so we always recommend backing up via Windows Explorer.

Instructions can be found here, #1, and it's worth spending a little time reading through the rest of the FAQs.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: I should also say Reply with quote

pdauser wrote:
DennisN wrote:
pdauser wrote:

Actually Dennis, I don't think I have done that. I have done it with tt home, but given its track record, that could be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Ouch! It is alleged that Home does a backup (of sorts), which overwrites the previous backup it did. So at the very least, if it works, you will only have one backup available, so if you take a backup of a dud setup, you'd be jiggered. The number of times we see people with only one Home backup is heart breaking. Simply use Win Explorer to copy everything off the TT into a folder on your PC to which you give a suitable name "Backup2009-05-24" (or an even more useful name), then next one a different name so that you always have copies going back to something that works. I have only about 90 backups of various TT devices - but then I didn't start doing it until a couple of years ago! But every single device I now own (three) I have original "out-of-the-box" copies and copies before and after every update, new map, fiddle, whatever. Sadly, only the oldest model (4 years old, GO700, when they used to make devices that worked reliably) has not been restored from one of its backups.

Go start your backup sets NOW before Home proves the value of chocolate teapots!

pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the advise Dennis, I'll do it asap. Thing is, I'm now at the map updated and various other bits and pieces updated stage, so I'm wondering if I should have done the back up earlier - or is now actually the best time to do a back up?
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In home theres an option to copy to computer, should I do that, or does madness and mayhem lie there.

Also, my 930 has a capacity of 3832.5 mb with 360.1 mb free, does this warrent concern? On top of that, I'm thinking of putting an 1gb sd card in it, is it worth bothering with?

Last edited by pdauser on Sun May 24, 2009 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I suggest a larger sdhc card for your 930? At least 4 gigs (it can handle up to 32 gigs). A 1-gig would allow for very little flexibility.
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
May I suggest a larger sdhc card for your 930? At least 4 gigs (it can handle up to 32 gigs). A 1-gig would allow for very little flexibility.

ok, thanks David, do you think the low free space on my 930 is something i should be concerned about?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. The 360 mb is really quite a lot for such things as gpsquickfix files if you download them and regular mapshare updates. Even custom ov2 files you download from various sites don't take much space up.

And, since the 930 uses external storage space **in conjunction** with internal, you can always use the sdhc card for your mp3 files, if you have them. Just create a mp3 folder on the card and put the individual mp3 files in them.

But, as I said, if you do wish to add a card, make it a decent size to begin with.
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance over the free space, i can relax now. i thought minor glitches(audiobooks kicking in for no reason and remote not connecting) on the 930, which have now disappeared since reconnecting up to tt home, might have been due to the seemingly low free space.

I see your point about the sd card, but i actually have a 1gb already, so maybe i could use that for the moment until I need more space.

Paul

Last edited by pdauser on Sun May 24, 2009 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdauser wrote:
In home theres an option to copy to computer, should I do that, or does madness and mayhem lie there.
I honestly don't know, because I never use Home except when it's unavoidable, i.e. to download a new map. For all else I leave it well alone. I simply have no evidence to PROVE that Home does ANYTHING properly (and as far as I'm concerned, Home is guilty until proven innocent) - look around and the number of people who have hair tearing moments with map downloads is frightening - it happened to me this latest map download, so I have absolutely no intention of finding out if it will do it the same for anything else.

My SDHC card is 8GB. All my spare cards are 2GB and not big enough for my requirements, wish they were all 4GB which is just enough for the 930, but 8 would be far better (you don't have to pay a fortune these days, mine was somewhere about £16 from I forget where - When Mikealder gets back from his expeditionary trip (in a tent!), he'll probably give you nineteen links to get the Peak 8GB Class 6 card he told me about).

pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your concerns regarding tt home are duly noted Dennis - I'll be giving it a wide berth in future me thinks.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what would the additional space be useful for, I mean are we talking mp3 files here, or complete map copying etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: