Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Downloading fears! Naive users seek reassuring words. . .
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading fears! Naive users seek reassuring words. . .
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Finally, if you are inclined to belt and braces, consider buying another SD card and copying the "latest" card contents onto it to carry as a spare in the vehicle - if something dies, a simple replacement on the road is a very quick method of rising from the ashes.

A very wise suggestion which for £5 for the purchase of a second card is well worth the expense. Once loaded up tape the new card to the roof of the glove box and should your lose the card in the device at any point (I have known them left in hotels by mistake because they somehow ejected) you will have a working unit within seconds - Mike
pasho9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having already prattled on here so much I'm loathe to add anything further, but can I just say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has been so kind and so helpful? It really is greatly appreciated (as is the patience shown over an issue which must be so routine to everyone yet frightened the life out of me!)

Thank you also to dhn and Dennis for taking time out and of course to Mike for continuing to stick with me and my ramblings.

Mike: the map verification process is well worth knowing, for which, much thanks. Yes, there's still 20Mb memory so I guess the two could reside side by side (but I have ANOTHER, FINAL -- promise - query!!!) which is. . .

According to TT HOME, TT Safety Camera data UK (but which seems to include Europe) is installed in the original Western Europe map. So if I did delete that folder, I'd lose the TT safety camera database. HOWEVER:
As I'm going to buy PocketGPS's database instead for UK (and hopefully Europe) then I'll download that to the new "Western Europe 1GB" map, as HOME describes it.

So, um, deleting the original map, with original (or whatever) TT camera stuff wouldn't ever matter as everything is in two back-ups anyway.
REASON for raising this was because I don't know if PocketGPS's safety camera database will be so big, the 20MB space left on the card will be filled. . .hence the question of making deletions. Or not!

Dennis: what brilliant advice. . . as a result of which, I'm just about to order another 2Gb Kingston card right now. And it'll go in the glove compartment as Mike suggests. You two really are bright sparks!

dhn: thanks for that, I only have the TT safety camera stuff on the map, and as noted I now have two backups of everything -- 2 x device as it was, 2 x device as it now is running off new 2Gb card.

Apologies again for another ramble. . .

Kay
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lord, please let me beat Mike with this one. Delete TT cameras is number thirteen in the FAQs

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Does anybody ever actually ask any of the Frequently Asked Questions? Confused

pasho9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis. . . but I have all the FAQs downloaded her, and have read 'em.

My fault for not explaining my earlier question with more clarity: I wasn't intending to ask "how to" but "should I. . .?"

Anyway. No problem. I've decided that as I have 2 x full back-ups of the original device data (including the old Western Europe map complete with TT safety cam info) I might as well just go ahead and now delete that folder from the card. That way I won't confuse myself when installing the PocketGPS World data.

Deleting the "obsolete" folder from the card removes the TT safety cam info as well. . . so I've answered my own question!

G'night all and again, sincere thanks for all the advice. (Including, how to read an FAQ -- Dennis Wink )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, taking the time out to thank the forum members for advice is something we see very little of, so its nice to see some appreciation for the hard work and effort that people put in. You have achieved what you wanted which is an updated device running the latest maps so a well done for getting there - it can appear daunting at first.

pasho9 wrote:
but can I just say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has been so kind and so helpful? It really is greatly appreciated (as is the patience shown over an issue which must be so routine to everyone yet frightened the life out of me!)

Next I guess are the speed camera installations and sorting out a decent set of spoken alerts so the device will warn you be actually saying "Warning Gatso ahead, speed limit 50 miles per hour" there will be plenty of help on hand to get this configured prior to the trip - Once configured the weekly updates are easy, in a few months you will look back and wonder why you thought it all so difficult, but we all had to start at some point messing around with the device.

PS - deleting the unwanted map folder is probably a wise move as it would be rather easy to install the POI files to the wrong folder and wonder what was going on (I have done this myself before now Embarassed ) - Mike
pasho9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike: well, saying "thanks" really is the least anyone can / should do! I'd have been lost without your help and that of others here.

I'm going to sort out the PocketGPS camera database today so fingers crossed. . .

(Have to say though, the amount of care and work put in by PockGPS people into the written & video tutorials is amazing. There are countless manufacturer-owned websites out there which get nowhere near this site's level of support and tuition.)

Very Happy
navver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
PS Does anybody ever actually ask any of the Frequently Asked Questions? Confused

Good question but does anyone at TT support ever answer the Very Very Frequently Asked Questions?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navver wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Good question but does anyone at TT support ever answer the Very Very Frequently Asked Questions?

Of course. To paraphrase somebody else's comments to Andre Previn, they always give the right answers, but not necessarily to the right questions. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: