Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD traffic France
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD traffic France
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: HD traffic France Reply with quote

Hi All,

Irecently got the email from TomTom saying I'd be able to receive Live services abroad by the end of the year, but the webpage seems to suggest they are available now?

Can anyone confirm or deny weather Traffic updates are available in France for UK systems?

Cheers

Martin ( off to Bordeaux in a couple weeks)

PS: If not anyone know an Iphone ap' that might do the job? :-)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that at the moment only the French subscribers can get HD traffic in France and from June, any users of the new HD XL unit will be able to. Existing HD users will get the roaming by the end of the year whatever that means.
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..

Looks like I better take a laptop and find some hotspots on the way down.

chhers

martin
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I want weather reports in France when out and about I just browse the BBC Weather Page on my mobile or PDA. The BBC pages detect your device and use a suitable low bandwidth format for it. If it is in a particular area, you can save that page to save searching for that area the next time.
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
When I want weather reports in France when out and about I just browse the BBC Weather Page on my mobile or PDA. The BBC pages detect your device and use a suitable low bandwidth format for it. If it is in a particular area, you can save that page to save searching for that area the next time.

Not that bothered about the weather, but I do care about the Traffic. I've been stuck in a couple of Mega French traffic jams in the past!

Cheers

Martin
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HD traffic France Reply with quote

martin_b wrote:
Hi All,
Can anyone confirm or deny weather Traffic updates are available in France for UK systems?

Whoops, as you spelt whether as weather, and weather updates are part of the Live Services, I thought you wanted these.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience traffic jams are rare in France except in & around some cities and in late July/August.
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
In my experience traffic jams are rare in France except in & around some cities and in late July/August.

Or unless a fellow Brit with a caravan does a barrel roll!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are aware you can use the RDS-TMC attenna on the Go Live when you are out of country? You need the USB version, or a mount that takes the older type. Borrow one, or buy one from ebay or Amazon, I got one for around £20 (rrp £50) and I was going to buy the mount with one built in until I saw that we would get roaming later this year.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin_b wrote:
Calomax wrote:

Or unless a fellow Brit with a caravan does a barrel roll!

Or pranged their car hooning it down to Le Mans. Laughing
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I assume you are aware you can use the RDS-TMC attenna on the Go Live when you are out of country? You need the USB version, or a mount that takes the older type. Borrow one, or buy one from ebay or Amazon, I got one for around £20 (rrp £50) and I was going to buy the mount with one built in until I saw that we would get roaming later this year.

If it's for occasional use you may be better of with the mount that takes the older type. Reception problems can be similar to UK, especially away from main urban areas. A French TT site was emphatic that the usb type wasn't as good as the older type, something to do with the scanning software. On my old 910 with the old type (connected to car anntena) I used to get good reception, I tried a USB one with my 740 and sent it back after two trips, it was useless. i've now got a RDS_TMC mount, and it's not a lot better. When you do get reception the info is fairly good, but nothing s realtime!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word of warning re using a mobile phone for data while overseas, this can cost a fortune so check with your phone company prior to the trip, if they says its free get them to put it in writting - Mike
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:

Yes got one and its next to useless. On a journey round the M25 and down the M4 its might get a signal once.

Next plan is to try to get a mini usb extender cable so i can mount the antenna outside the car. ( Does such a cable exist?)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, Have a read through the second post in This thread which details connecting the RDS-TMC aerial wire to the car aerial, its a much neater method than having even more cables in the car - Mike
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Martin, Have a read through the second post in This thread which details connecting the RDS-TMC aerial wire to the car aerial, its a much neater method than having even more cables in the car - Mike

Thanks i had seen this.. `Problem is I'm using this car for the trip to France then selling it so I don't want to do anything two permanent.

I had a TMC unit on my last satnav a garmin. That had a very long thin antenna. the performance was greatly improved by running it outside and up the car aerial, I hoping I can do something similar.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: