Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CSPEECH files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CSPEECH files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: CSPEECH files Reply with quote

How do the CSPEECH files work? I see there is one for each country in Europe and in the US one for each state.

Looking at the European files I would have assumed that they were in all the different languages but then for the USA there are not 52 languages.

So does that mean if I go to France and I want my instructions in English but want the Go940 to know the French place names I need to install the French CSPEECH file or do I only need that if I want the Go's language to be French?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cSpeech files are for the voice RECOGNITION system, mate. Smile

Some more details HERE
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Home only installs the GBR and IRL files to the Go internal memory but all the european files to an SD card, I assume to save space. It even does this when there is plenty of space on the Go (NA maps removed).

If you want to Navigate to a spoken address in another European country you need to install the CSPEECH file for that country otherwise the speech option is greyed out. The language spoken is still English (chosen by the voice) but the Cities and Addresses it listens for are in that country's language.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Home only installs the GBR and IRL files to the Go internal memory but all the european files to an SD card, I assume to save space. It even does this when there is plenty of space on the Go (NA maps removed).

That's clever... I've never seen it do that. Normally they are all in the map folder or not supplied at all (as was the case with the NA map for European x40 users)

I presume you have to manually copy the files back into the map folder when you need them? Does TT supply any instructions, or mention that you will need to do this?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of it anywhere at all. I just noticed today when trying to get the 8.3 WCE map update done, I was working on the SD card so not to mess up my unit and noticed them all being copied across. There are around 170MB of files to manually copy across which still leaves over 300MB with the NA maps installed.

I was planning a trip to an address in France and noticed that the navigate to spoken options were no greyed out and the last address I used was French. When I next navigated to a UK address the spoken options returned so I worked out there must be a French file missing and these were the missing files.

Again with the US map, when I got the LMG updates, no CSPEECH files were installed but they were all in the downloaded zip file.

I have no removed the NA map as I am very unlikely to use it in the near future which has left me with around 1.5G of space to play with.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr T........

Actually, in the NA map folder, there should be 53 speech files: 50 (one for each state) + 1 for Canada (CAN) + 1 for Puerto Rico (PRI) + 1 for District of Columbia (DC, where the country's capital, Washington is located).
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking all over the internet for Cspeech files for my 930 Western Europe map, and never thought of looking at the actual map download file where I found them all.

Many thanks for this MrT Laughing Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: