Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MapShare speed limits - exact location, is it possible?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MapShare speed limits - exact location, is it possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: MapShare speed limits - exact location, is it possible? Reply with quote

Hi,

A week or so ago I decide to bite the bullet and buy an update to the current map and also a year's Map Update Service, so that I could run for a year with the latest maps available.

As a result I've started to become interested in TomTom's MapShare feature. I'm still very much a MapShare novice. However one of my questions is this:

Is it possible to place the exact spot where the speed limit changes, or must you just use the nearest available "section" to highlight or unhighlight as necessary?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a very long road then you need a lot of spare time to get it right, to be honest its too difficult in use to even bother with it IMHO, setting a motorway back to its correct 70MPH status (such as the end of the M61 near Manchester) is about as far as I will go these days - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

I guessed that it might be difficult to be accurate with the speed limit - it's a new toy for me and I'm trying out some of the features that need updating in my area.

I have a new road to add to the map, and where it connects with existing roads there is new roundabout to add to the map at each end of the new road. Looks like fun! Wink

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't see the new road or roundabout though. Anything that would involve re-drawing the map will not appear on your device with Map Share.

All you can do is notify TomTom of the changes and hope they get included on a future map update (probably in 2020 Laughing )
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will be disappointed.

You can only set the speed limit for a whole segment of road, which in most cases means the section between 2 intersections, except where Tomtom themselves have noticed the speed limit changing within a segment, and split the segment at that point.

I haven't tried the new mapshare features in 8.35, but the user interface is probably still exceedingly bad, and any new road you try to add will not be visible on your map within your lifetime.

I was enthuisiastic about mapshare, and made about 1000 corrections on one version of map (to the point that mapshare started deleting the old ones when I added a new one), but of those, none have been transferred to later maps, so I don't bother any more.

I now contribute my map corrections to openstreetmap.org, where I can see the results, and am looking forward to the day when I have an ICN device using those maps, and never spend another penny with Tomtom.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
I think you will be disappointed.

I was enthuisiastic about mapshare, and made about 1000 corrections on one version of map (to the point that mapshare started deleting the old ones when I added a new one), but of those, none have been transferred to later maps, so I don't bother any more.

oh cr p I never thought of that ,I have done a whole load of speed limits lately so now I am thinking they will be all wiped out Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ..I suppose I will find out on my next journey along those routes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Looks like fun! Wink

Oh Robert, Robert - the sweet innocence of youth! You've been in this "game" far longer than I and yet you fall for the MapShare scam? Report back after the next map does nothing for your corrections. Rolling Eyes

I've just done a correction to alter your street to 70mph. But don't worry, it won't show on your map. Or DO worry, it WILL show on your map. Or DO worry, it WON'T show up on your map - I can't remember which it is. It may have something to do with the speed limit on your street.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

I've just done a correction to alter your street to 70mph. But don't worry, it won't show on your map. Or DO worry, it WILL show on your map. Or DO worry, it WON'T show up on your map - I can't remember which it is. It may have something to do with the speed limit on your street.

Another DennisN classic 'clean the monitor' response. Razz

Thanks.......
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, I think you need to change your signature.

Quote:
TT user since May 2005 - MapShare User NEVER
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
JaguarV12e wrote:
mapshare started deleting the old ones when I added a new one)

oh cr p I never thought of that ,I have done a whole load of speed limits lately so now I am thinking they will be all wiped out Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad ..I suppose I will find out on my next journey along those routes

At least the device gives you a warning message when it does it, but gives no indication of which correction it is deleting. It is also not clear what happens to such corrections that have already been upoaded to Tomtom.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
It is also not clear what happens to such corrections that have already been upoaded to Tomtom.

Oh, these people who don't RTFM!! Stop it! In the literature, it states quite clearly and unequivocally that they are verified then incorporated into maps.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: