Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Return to my old problem - TT GO 710 - File access error
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Return to my old problem - TT GO 710 - File access error
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Return to my old problem - TT GO 710 - File access error Reply with quote

Folks,

Some while ago I reported a problem that I had with my wifes tomtom 710 in that the device shows 'unable to store settings: File access error, on start up. I have not been able to follow up the old post as I have been away from home without access to a PC. I am now back at home and anxious to try and get the device working for her.

All favourites and home details erase after closing the device down. Apart from that the device seems to be working very good, but the nag screen and having to restore the settings is tiresome.

I followed previous advice and have made a back up with windows explorer but cannot see what is an apparant corrupted file, although to be honest I do not have a clue what I am looking for. I do not want to connect to TT Home as it conflicts with my own TT730T that is running perfect.

I have tried the reset button but this has not helped.

As mentioned in my previous post everything was working fine until I downloaded some new voice files for her. My wife decided she did not like them and after I erased the voice files the file access error problem occurred. I think I have deleted an important file that is causing this problem.

Any advice kindly received

Many thanks again

DEVICE: Tomtom Go 730(t)
App: 8.351
MAP: Western & Central Europe v815.2003
GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exit Home on the PC and start up Windows Explorer, connect the device to the PC and will appear as a drive letter, double click this to open it revealing lots of files and folders. Locate the UK&ROI map folder, although at v660 it might be named something like "Great_Britain" right click this and select Properties then make sure the read only checkbox isn't selected, next double click the Great_Britain map folder and locate the file "Mapsettings.cfg" right click this again selecting properties and again make sure the read only attribute isn't selected.

If the above doesn't fix the issue take the card out of the device and make sure the write protection switch isn't in the locked position, this is a small plastic slider on the edge of the memory card, it looks like a small switch, make sure this is in the position nearest to the gold contacts on the card - Mike
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

You have done it again and solved the problem!! Many thanks. The read only box was not clear. Although not checked it had a square infill, so I have cleared it and that seems to have cured the problem. I also checked the SD card but that seemed to be configured ok.

Mike, thanks again.

Ron

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am back to square one this morning. Everything was fine until I recharged the battery in the device via the mains stand/adapter. This has caused the favourites and home address details to delete themselves and the 'unable to store settings: File access error red nag screen to reappear.

Any ideas anyone?

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a full back up then format the memory card, run the Clear Flash utility at least twice on the device. See Here for details, click line item 4 when the linked page opens up.
Re-install your backup to the card - Mike
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I have just tried to make another backup of the device. As it started to copy from the memory card onto my PC an error message came up saying 'Cannot copy triplog-2009-04-18 The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just delete the file and try again, that file isn't of much importance and your device will be no worse off for it not being there. You should find the file in the "logging" folder on the device - Mike
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I am right clicking my TT device in my computer and selecting properties but the screen I am getting to which should enable me to format the memory card is not like the screen I see from the link you sent me. I cannot see anything to press that will format the memory. What I am getting looks like a pie chart.

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are right clicking then selecting "Properties" if you look further up the list of options you will find one that says "Format" use that instead - Mike
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help,

I have done as above, formatted the memory then ran the flash utility. All I am getting now is a sign to take out the memory card from the device with a red x showing through the sd card. I have tried taking it out and putting it back in again but the same thing keeps happening.

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy your backup to the memory card then insert to the 710 and it should work - Mike
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I have copied the back up onto the SD card and inserted by I am still getting the same problem as below.

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rascall wrote:
Mike,

I have copied the back up onto the SD card and inserted by I am still getting the same problem as below.

Which same problem? Not working at all (red cross), or the original "cannot save settings"?

I have had the "cannot save settings" problem on occasion, and it has usually been the two possibilities Mike mentioned (write protect switch on card or read-only status on the file).
You could also try re-setting the read-only flag for the ENTIRE folder.
But I think I have had to do a manual re-install of software to fix it at least once.

Obviously if you are still at the "red cross" state, ignore all this until you've got that sorted. A good backup SHOULD restore to the device OK. Is this an Explorer backup or one done with Home?
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is my device is now not working at all (the red cross through the SD card image)

I have tried reloading and reloading from the PC (NOT home) but it's still not working. Any help would be appreciated.

GPS V1.21. Boot 5.5120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restore your backup onto the card, then delete all the files which AREN'T in a folder (don't delete any folders).
Next, on your PC, delete the contents of the C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\profram folder.
Then run Home and select 'Update my Go'.

That will re-download a new set of system files which will hopefully cure your problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: