Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Moving Favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving Favourites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Moving Favourites Reply with quote

Just checking - I've been reading the FAQs on this site and it says that Favs are located in Mapsettings.cfg file and to move from one map to another involves moving this file from one Map folder to the other. Could someone clarify/confirm that the Map folder is the folder in which the W&CE map resides. I know its a stupid question...but there you go Embarassed

Second question. Can this file be moved from one device to another simply by copying this folder from one to another ?

It's just that I have a long list of Favs on one device and I would like a simple way of having the same on a newer device - Both are x30 models.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapsettings.cfg is a file which resides in the map folder, which is called Western and Central Europe (NOT "map") - I haven't got a folder called "map".

Copying the Mapsettings.cfg file could work, or it might not - I'd guess if they are both x30s and both with W&CE map the chance of success is high.

A problem with Favourites is that they often disappear with a new map update and a cure for that is to change them from Favourites to a personal POI category which usually survives new map update, but which in any case can be copied across from your backups on your PC. That POI category could be copied across 100% faultlessly.

Tell me you do backups using Windows Explorer, NOT TT Home!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FAQ number 15 (from HERE) is what you need to read Gee_Pee

Copying MapSettings.cfg to retain your favourites and POI warning settings always used to work... between different software versions, different map versions and sometimes even different machines.

But if they want to add more features to the device, they need to change (or add to) the data in the file, so now it SOMETIMES does and sometimes doesn't work between different versions of map or software. At the moment, there are so many changes being made, it usually doesn't.

Copying it between two of the same model with the same software and the same map version should still work.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis and Andy. Well It's worth a try then. Yes, Dennis it was just my lazy shorthand - for Map read W&CE Map folder And yes, I do not use HOME for backing up anything - all done through Win Explorer (Taught by an expert, Mike) I'll have a read of that link, Andy and learn.....and finally, yes, I did lose my Favs so hoping that I will be able to recover them from the recent BackUps I have done.

Graham
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes.. I forgot to say... Dennis - on recent machines you MIGHT have a folder called "maps", so we all have to be a bit more specific now rather then just saying "Put it in your map folder").

Looking at a few old backups, my 720 had this folder while it was running v7.221 and v8.300, but it's gone on the next one when I was running v8.301
The only file in there was "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.tlv" and every other .tlv file seems to be to help Home work out what's going on on your TomTom, so it might have been when I downloaded a map.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that link was very useful, Andy.
Have just gone back and found the MapSettings.cfg file in a recent BackUp. It had been on a W&CE2GB Map on a X30 and I have put it on another X30 with the W&CE Full Map on it. Worked perfectly and all my Favs are now where they should be.
Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you! I've got a 720 and a 940 sitting on my desk glaring at me because I haven't got round to redoing all my warnings yet again, after MapSettings *didn't* copy across between the two map versions where it *did* work for you in that 'other' Wink forum.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Worked perfectly and all my Favs are now where they should be.
Thanks.

So now consider the idea of changing them to POI. It's time-consuming if you have zillions, but at the end of the day you end up with a far safer set. I have done this and I now update out on the road (add/delete) occasionally and at home copy the file from one device to both my other two, so that it's identical on all three.

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Worked perfectly and all my Favs are now where they should be.
Thanks.

So now consider the idea of changing them to POI. It's time-consuming if you have zillions, but at the end of the day you end up with a far safer set. I have done this and I now update out on the road (add/delete) occasionally and at home copy the file from one device to both my other two, so that it's identical on all three.

Time consuming is the right description. I seem to be taking more time organising my sat navs than actually using them Crying or Very sad I back up everything too so that also takes time but worth while in the long run. If it had not started out sunny and beautiful this morning, then I would have started today, but the garden calls.
Do you just Add POI or have a category for all these Favs and add to the category? i.e Favourites ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a custom POI Category name it _My Favourites now add all the locations in to it (including phone numbers if required). Adding the _ to the start of the POI name makes it appear at the top of the list when you select Nav To/ POI

The other big plus point is the resultant ov2 file can be used on any TomTom navigation device, if you have multiple devices that have Bluetooth you can even send the POI file from one unit to another withour cables or PC's involved - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Create a custom POI Category name it _My Favourites now add all the locations in to it (including phone numbers if required). Adding the _ to the start of the POI name makes it appear at the top of the list when you select Nav To/ POI

The other big plus point is the resultant ov2 file can be used on any TomTom navigation device, if you have multiple devices that have Bluetooth you can even send the POI file from one unit to another withour cables or PC's involved - Mike

Wicked! Have briefly been trying this since Dennis' post and don't know why I have not tried it before. The added bonus of the 'phone number is useful too. Does away with that problematic MapSettings.cfg file as well. Thanks both.
Graham
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Time consuming is the right description. I seem to be taking more time organising my sat navs than actually using them Crying or Very sad I back up everything too so that also takes time but worth while in the long run. If it had not started out sunny and beautiful this morning, then I would have started today, but the garden calls.
Do you just Add POI or have a category for all these Favs and add to the category? i.e Favourites ?
Hmm, I was rather hoping for rain myself today, but I suppose the hedge etc will win again!

I have only 146GB of backups, but then I only started backing up two years ago - prior to that I had GOx00s which didn't go wrong, so it wasn't necessary.

I have my own POI category, exactly as described by Mike (except I call mine "_Destinations", same difference).

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the icon thats needed, the built in ones are not much good you can shrink your Avatar down to 22x22 using Microsoft Office Picture Manager or similar, make sure the resultant bmp file has the same name as your ov2 file - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, wicked Mike! Why didn't you tell me that way back when you told me how to do the POIs? My icon is just one of the grotty Greek temple things.

Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Hey, wicked Mike! Why didn't you tell me that way back when you told me how to do the POIs? My icon is just one of the grotty Greek temple things.

Wicked indeed. Where would we be without him Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: