Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should I go for the Rikaline 6021 X6 CF receiver?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I go for the Rikaline 6021 X6 CF receiver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Should I go for the Rikaline 6021 X6 CF receiver? Reply with quote

I'm thinking of buying the Rikaline 6021 X6 GPS CF for my Dell Axim X5.
I'm going for this one because it's the only CF Slot GPS card I can find that comes in a bundle (pdamods.com).

I can hardly find any information about this card and the info I can find on here is all about people having problems.

Has anyone got this one to work? Should I go ahead and buy it in a bundle with tomtom3? or should I avoid it like the plague?

Thanks for any info

Vanilla

ps - Also, does the card work ok even when it's not against the windscreen? I kinda wanna mount the GPS low and not right against the window
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put an identical post in the Rikaline forum and I've answered it there.

David
bjellys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Rikaline x6 6021 Reply with quote

Hi I have a Rikaline X6 cf 6021 fitted in my Hp 2210 running Tomtom 2 I find it works very well with no problems.
I would recommend it
graphic-solutions
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vanilla
I bought an Axim X5 - Rikaline X6 cf 6021, Integral 256 Mb SD card and TT2 at Christmas as it was the cheapest setup that suited my requirements, but I hit problems straight away. The Axim X5 is ok but it's major drawback is the problems it has with SD memory cards. I was unaware of this problem when I got my X5 but basically there are only a few SD cards that can be used in the X5 that do not become corrupted or are very slow to use and the X5 SD slot is not SDIO. I sold the X5 on and bought an Ipaq 2210 which is very good. It is smaller, lighter and can be picked up for about £200-£250 new. The Rikaline X6 cf 6021 unit was faulty on arrival and since I have had 4 replacements that have packed up and I have since changed to a SysOnChip GPS CF plus which has performed faultlessly and is quick on locking onto sats.
I may have just been unlucky but I spent a fortune in postage returning bits, forking out for SD cards and losing £ on selling on items I replaced plus the down time when things packed up, so my advise would be to spend time to browse though the forums on this site and form a judgement from other peoples experiences as to what’s good and bad before you part with your money.
The setup I use now which I’m more than happy with is :-

Ipaq 2210 with 1.10 ROM update
SysOnChip GPS CF plus
SimpleTech Pro X 256Mb SD card for maps etc
TomTom 3 with updates
CheckPOInt 3.2 and PocketGPS speed camera database
Digitools UKPostCodes
Arkon CM596 powered mount

Paul
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corruption / slow issue with SD cards in the Axim X5 only seems to affect cards that are bad anyway - basically Sandisk and rebadges thereof.

Admittedly other Pocket PCs tend not to misbehave quite so badly with these bad cards - but they're often slow and sometimes unreliable in machines that have much more tolerant SD implementations, such as most iPAQs.

The lack of SDIO was a design decision. At the time the Axim X5 launched, SDIO was far from standard. I don't think any Pocket PC has been released recently that doesn't have SDIO Now! drivers built in.

I doubt that Dell are going to add SDIO support to the Axim X5 now - if they even can. It could be that the Axim X5 lacks the necessary hardware support for SDIO. However, many Axim X5 users run quite happily with a (non Sandisk) SD memory card in their SD slot and put I/O peripherals like GPSes and network cards in the CompactFlash slot. Indeed, I only use my SD slot for memory cards, and I've got an iPAQ 3970 which has SDIO Now! drivers.

As it happens, your SimpleTech SD card would be fine in an Axim X5 - SimpleTech cards are invariably a "Made in Japan" type that works properly.

David
Vanilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm going to avoid the Rikalin and buy the sysonchip for my X5.

It's gonna cost a little more buying it all individually but i'll be happier in the end I think

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: