Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 740 & microSD query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

740 & microSD query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: 740 & microSD query Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a 740 and have just got a 4GB microSD card to complement it. Main reason being to 'dual boot' stable and not-so-stable Navcores but also to increase the available storage space for custom sounds / different maps.

I copied the entire contents of the internal memory over to the microSD and applied the 8.350 update. Seemed to go OK, however I have a couple of issues I'd like explaining if possible.

1) When in HOME, and I choose 'Add Maps' when I have the SD version selected as the active device, I either get no maps in the list or I get the same list of maps as if I had the internal memory active. i.e. none of the non-modified larger maps (North America and WC Europe) are available even though I have the capacity for download. Does this list only show available maps based on model number? If so, to get the unmodified maps would I be able to purchase and download direct from the TT site? And would these upgrade as normal via TomTom Home in the future once installed?

2) If I'm logged into My TomTom Account on the microSD card, if I switch to internal memory I cannot connect to the server. The only way to fix this is remove the card and restore an earlier backup of the device. Is there a way around this? Do the Live models need to be logged in, or do they access LIVE services based on their serial number rather than my login? I suspect this may be due to a settings file being written to the device even when using the SD card, but worth asking.

Any advice appreciated
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Some time ago, TomTom removed the opportunity to buy the "large" versions of maps for models THEY decided couldn't use them. God knows why!
It seems Home just looks at the model number and *not* the amount of free storage.
Previously, you could "cheat" the system by using their website to buy the map and selecting a different model in the drop-down box. But suddenly there were reports that the TomToms were refusing to recognise maps bought like this, so beware!

2. Erm, not sure. Sorry.
HappyTrucker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Rolling Eyes Might use the old 'get in writing from TT' then if they say it'll work and it doesn't just throw it back at them. Might work. Not an issue yet, as it's only if I need the North America map at some point. I know the road network is the same on all maps, but it's a bit off-putting to drive past 2 large fishing lakes (at the side of the River Trent on the A1 near North Muskham if anyone knows it) and find they're not on the map! Even though 2 much smaller ones further south are on there.

2) Never mind. Was worth asking

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: