Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me on the 530 I have found that if handsfree is enabled, wireless data will not work and if wireless data is enabled, handsfree will not work. So you have to disable one of these two features to get the other to work.

No difference on the 940 but that does not offer wireless data over bluetooth.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My twopence for what it's worth...

When we first had the stuttering problem, I was too scared to try any of the fixes on here. I waited for TT to bring out a fix, which they did. Now with this recent upgrade, I have no problem with my volume, in fact, my wife said this afternoon, "Can you turn that thing down please?"

The problem that I am now seeing is the map refresh, where all detail can disappear off the map for a good few seconds. I hope that we are not going to wait for another 6 months until they recognise and repair this fault.

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is a twist........ A new map version has been released in Australia, and probably else where, ver 8.30. Did the upgrade purchase. All went well except when connecting to Home, after the purchase, the new map was not showing up in the update sectiion. A call to Tomtom suport in Oz, first operatior wanted to blame the tomtom servers being down and was not much help at all. A second call, different operatior, did some checking. Now at the same time, I was again trying to load 8.35. Got to start it on the unit and it wanted a map. found the new version, so went that way. The support tech suggested renaming the current tomtom folder in my documents and reconnecting to Home. Bingo, the new map was waiting to be downloaded and installed.

Now after renaming the old tomtom home folder, a new one was created. Had to reformat the unit again and reinstall. This time, with the new tomtom home folder, everything went without a hitch, including upgrading to 8.35. Now I wonder if a corrupt tomtom home folder was causing all the trouble with trying to update to ver 8.35????

Just on the side, and I will create another post, all my map corrections are down the tube, as previously...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jeff
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, depending on how you backup your device deleting that folder might have also deleted your backup, I would suggest you use Windows Explorer to make a full copy of everything currently on the device, you should do this sooner rather than later - Mike
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No folder not deleted, only renamed to tomtom_old. Still there till all is going very well. And thanks, yes, I will be doing a full back up of the new set up.
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark wrote:
Could just be me, but I'm sure my 540 is now finding it harder to find and lock on to satellites...

Did a 100 mile journey and not only did it take an age to find anything but then the signal strength bar rarely maxed out for the whole trip....

Same here with 540
Slow fix. Low satellites found. Regular loss of fix even over long journeys

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
MikeMcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, does anyone have the downgrade links for the 940? I see the latest URL is:

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.350-go940.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

However, swapping 8.350 in the URL for earlier versions does not appear to produce a valid link.
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my tenpenny worth I have reverted from Navcore 8.350 to 8.320 and ALL my problems have now disappeared.

I now get a sattellite fix in a matter of seconds -- the map moves very smoothly as I travel along and as a last comment thr TMC/RDS now aqires a signal immediatly and updates within 30 seconds.

I will not be buying another TomTom thats for certain!!

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
pEst_29
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonial wrote:

What would you buy instead, I'm curious? An equivalent Garmin to my 730 (885T) would cost nearly twice as much, what else is there, Navman? No other players count in my book but let me know if I'm wrong.

Tomtom kinda sucks but the Garmin I had before sucked 10 times worse. Would love to find better than Tomtom, if anyone has suggestions let me know!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeMcr wrote:
Hmm, does anyone have the downgrade links for the 940?

It depends how far you want to go back with the device:

8,310 can be located Here
8,204 can be located Here

I am not too sure about earlier versions if there even were any - Mike
MikeMcr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It depends how far you want to go back with the device

Thanks. I upgraded to 8.350 as soon as I received the 940 (after a backup) so have no experience of the previous versions. I noticed the long time to get a satellite lock and missing message option from Buddies so will assume 8.310 is the best to go back to unless someone says otherwise.
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pEst_29 wrote:
jonial wrote:

What would you buy instead, I'm curious? An equivalent Garmin to my 730 (885T) would cost nearly twice as much, what else is there, Navman? No other players count in my book but let me know if I'm wrong.

Tomtom kinda sucks but the Garmin I had before sucked 10 times worse. Would love to find better than Tomtom, if anyone has suggestions let me know!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
The best SatNav would be one that has been designed and the manufacture controlled by PGPSW. There are plenty of people who frequent this site who know what is REALLY needed and have the skills to produce a first class machine.

Darren??

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
There are plenty of people who frequent this site who know what is REALLY needed

Hmmmm. Some people want the MP3 player, I don't. Some people want the photo viewer, I don't. Some people want the video player, I don't. Some people think Mapshare is great. Some people think ALG is great. Some even think Reality View images are great.

There are plenty of people who frequent this site who know what is REALLY needed by THEM. What it really needs is a committee of 27 people who know what is REALLY needed. Twisted Evil You need three models...

1. Absolute basic entry level with hardly any functionality beyond A-B navigation.

2. Intermediate with a few extras, maybe choose your own, any two from five.

3. Advanced with so many bells and whistles you'll not be able to hear yourself think.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Tom59 wrote:
There are plenty of people who frequent this site who know what is REALLY needed

Hmmmm. Some people want the MP3 player, I don't. Some people want the photo viewer, I don't. Some people want the video player, I don't. Some people think Mapshare is great. Some people think ALG is great. Some even think Reality View images are great.

I think most peoples rant with Tom Tom isn't what they like, it's the fact they were sold it and it didn't work. I paid a premium for a 720 because the box said it did a lot of Censored above and beyond what the entry level systems do. If it had said on the box that these didn't work then I'd have saved some cash. We're all geeks here and we will eventually try everything. Did I need bluetooth streaming? No. But it said on the box it had it and it doesn't work. I'm one carkit poorer for that. Traffic doesnt work but I'm poorer for that too. (don't tell me Traffic HD works - if that's the case they should discontinue GPRS traffic and stop ripping me off or even better deliver the HD accessory I was told I would be able to buy when I got it) Repeat the previous sentences and substitute any other advanced feature to save time.

The best thing TT could do is only sell the Tom Tom One with IQ routes because that works well. Anything beyond that is pure Censored and half works. Not only that, it half works for years not weeks.

If I was going to buy a new device I'd probably buy a TT one because what it has in it is a testimony to the days when Tom Tom did stuff better than any competitor before they got all Censored and too big for their boots and excommunicated themselves from their customers.

Edited by DennisN to replace stuff with the censored icon. Please don't do this to get round censorship. The idea is NOT TO USE that sort of language, not exercise your mind in ways to beat the censor. All manner of people visit this site and we don't want to offend.
Holux GPSslim
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
If I was going to buy a new device I'd probably buy a TT one because what it has in it is a testimony to the days when Tom Tom did stuff better than any competitor

I have briefly tried Garmin (both PND and XT Mobile), McGuider, Route 66 and Wayfinder Navigator, and none of them comes up to TomTom - my personal preferences, that is - there are loads of users out there who must be happy with them.

It's a crying shame TT have lost their way.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 33 of 39

Jump to: