Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom release v8.350 for GO x20, GO x30 and GO x40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intikab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: My 520 isn't picking up the update! Reply with quote

Tom Tom home isn't giving me the update! Anyone have any ideas why? I am on version 8.302 as far as I can tell and Home 2.6.2.1586....
wilfuerdo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so frustrated, I stll cannot get the 8.350 working, its now a challenge not to be beat!! Smile
when I upgrade my 920T to Navcore 8.350, I only get the device looping and will not start, but it will talk to and operate in HOME still, soon as its disconnected from pc, then no starting just loop to splashscreen and restart.
Ive tried everything, been on the thing hours, all previous updates are fine.

What i do notice is that everytime it connects windows asks to scan for faulty device, I nailed it to a file in the root called "SETTINGS.DAT"

If i delete this file - it regenerates itself immediately
If i try to read the file with notepad - says its corrupt
If i do the scan & repair errors on the drive - then after I can delete the file, reinstall an older working copy, or just leave until restart then it generates itself

But, when I restart - Exactly the same looping, go back to home anf settings.dat is corrupt

Any help much appreciated
Andy
jonial
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

When I tried to update my 720 onto an SD Card it fell over big time.

I then removed the sd card and also restored via windows explorer a known working version from early March this year anto the internal flash memory.

I then reconnected to Home ver 2.6 and the upgrade was performed perfectly.

Hope this helps you

Garmin Nuvi 2547LM
CamerAlert
PGPS Speed Cameras
zYx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded my go 520 to 8350 and everything seems fine so far. However, I can't get online via BT. It connets to 3G and TT gets stuck on 65% when connecting to tomtom services... everything else seems to be working fine.

Last edited by zYx on Sat May 09, 2009 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
mightyyid wrote:
If anyone wants the instructions I can send them on, and it took about an hour start to finish to get it all working.

As I'm about to come back to the UK for a week tomorrow, it will be a good test but all seems so far to be the right solution.

Post the instruction in this thread as I am sure quite a few people will be interested in trying whatever you did, out of interest if you tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box what is the Navcore version insalled, 8,350_9980 or something else?

Enjoy the flight 24 hours in a metal tube ain't my idea of fun - tried a couple of times - Mike

OK - hassles here as when I post the instructions this site is telling me the HTML tags I am using are not allowed and I have stripped out everything I can see and still the issue so I'll have to retype it. what fun...

I'm on 8.350 (9980/090427)

Any comments with MY are my comments.

Download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
STEP 1. Creating a Manual backup of your TomTom

• Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
• Perform a reset on your device (hold in the resaet button for 30 secs)

If you have not made a backup yet you can do so by making a manual backup of your TomTom. To do this, please look at the following web page:-

• Copy ONLY the listed folders on the TomTom, one by one to the backup folder:- Map (ex: United Kingdom... or Western Europe, etc), Voices, Zip, Raster, Help Me (if it is there), ASR, LoquendoTTS
• This can take up to 1 hour to complete depending on the device.

MY - it was key to just copy these folders listed and not all of them.

You have now made a manual backup of your TomTom.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device.

STEP 2. Format the hard-disk,

• Open 'My Computer'
• Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
• Do a full format by selecting FAT 32 and click on Start, do not select 'quick format'. The TomTom is now formatted.
MY - this took about 15 seconds

• Disconnect the TomTom from the computer and switch it on. It will load up with a red cross on the screen.

MY - actually it was a small cross on the HDD card and nothing else - not a full red cross on the screen that I remember from early TT's

• Reset the TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds
• Once Reset, switch the TomTom off, disconnect it from the computer and then switch it back on again, it will still show a red cross on the screen.

Step 3

Connect the device to the computer and switch it on
Download the latest navcore or, if you are using TT Home 2 and have already downloaded it, find it in Add maps, traffic voices etc - items on my computer and making sure it is the latest one, install it

More to follow below
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 4

Run the clear flash tool

Connect TT to computer
Close TT home (including on a PC the two hands on the bottom right hand corner in the task bar
Run the clear flash tool from
[url]www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe[/url]
Make sure your TT is connected and turned on when doing this and follow the on-screen instructions. It takes a few mins at most
Once installed, open TT Home
Click on Device - and then disconnect device
Turn the device off and disconnect from computer
Switch TT on to complete the installtion, and when you get the error message saying 'No maps found' on the screen, leave it like this for a minimum of one minute doing nothing
mightyyid
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 5

Copy the folders you previously copied back to the TT unit hard drive - one of them asked me if I wanted to update it so the new install had created some. I said yes to overwrite all. I think that was the right thing to do...

Then turn device off, disconnect from computer and then switch it back on

And it should be working.

Apologies for the poor instructions - I had to re-type them, it's 2130 on a Sat night here in Aus and I'm tired. But wanting to help....
Nairbh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: 720 update Reply with quote

Just updated my 720 with latest firmware all seems ok so far. Like others, I was offered updated Kate but not enough room! When re-booted Kate was no longer offered (but I still have existing computer Kate installed).

So, now FM voice instructions work whilst playing MP3 music is it possible to have a blank (silent) MP3 file playing so we can just have the voice over FM? I seem to recall that someone mentioned a while back, about a long blank MP3 file somewhere - any one know where I can get the file?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 update Reply with quote

Nairbh wrote:

is it possible to have a blank MP3 file playing so we can just have the voice over FM? I seem to recall that someone mentioned a while back, about a long blank MP3 file somewhere - any one know where I can get the file?

see the third post in this thread
Nairbh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 720 update Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
Nairbh wrote:

is it possible to have a blank MP3 file playing so we can just have the voice over FM? I seem to recall that someone mentioned a while back, about a long blank MP3 file somewhere - any one know where I can get the file?

see the third post in this thread

Excellent - many thanks Very Happy will now go try this out.....
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
TomTom's 740 traffic servers apparently went down across (as TomTom says) 'all of North America" this afternoon, Eastern Daylight time.

Considering there is NO 740 traffic service in Canada whatsoever Evil or Very Mad , let's say the USA.

Have they gone down in the UK as well???

as since doing the "upgrade" traffic warnings not working -- get a statement in RED that tom-tom server problem??

Maurice
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working here just fine....
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyyid, Many thanks for those typed up instructions. When I eventually summon enough courage to update my Go730 I shall certainly be following them step-by-step.

AliOnHols.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
reapeer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys i d/loaded the new version thanks to mike i just copied and pasted it across and nothing is changed have i done this wrong
i did see some where instructions to install it but i cannot find it to save my life
any one help please
spannersatcx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
mightyyid, Many thanks for those typed up instructions. When I eventually summon enough courage to update my Go730 I shall certainly be following them step-by-step.

AliOnHols.

I did this as instructed by TT and it didn't help on my 520, in fact it was completely useless and made things worse, in that the 520 wouldn't start, restart and had to do language setup again, then no maps found, kept doing this over and over, went back to previous app V8.302 I think to get it to work. Also there are errors in the prescripted TT support reply.

All the clearflash tool does on my vista pc is launch Norton Security Centre uninstaller - brilliant.

Launching TTHome with app 8.302 and it no longer offers 8.350 update, guess it's been withdrawn.

Seems TT need to employ some new application software writers as the present ones are not very good. Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 17 of 39

Jump to: