Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XL (series30) problems after POI upd Please help me.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XL (series30) problems after POI upd Please help me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bashar20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: TomTom XL (series30) problems after POI upd Please help me. Reply with quote

My friend has a TomTom XL (Series30) upon connecting to her Mac the Tomtom home software crashes.

So I took it and connected to my laptop using windows and it complained that it needed a check disk, I did that and I felt it didn’t take more than few seconds but then I was able to update the maps using map share.

Then I added some POIs from ozpoi.com. After that I tried starting the TomTom and the map was just a blank blue screen saying weak GPS. It didn’t let me tab on it to access menus and kept rebooting.

I tried removing the POIs using TomTom software and it wasn’t able to delete all of them. So I deleted them manually and It worked fine. Then I discovered the Speeding cameras were gone (they were there earlier) so I tried to add them and it went blue again.

I tried the same above, but it didn’t work this time, blue screen again. I ended up deleting the Australia and POI folder on the TomTom (as I have already taken a backup on my hard drive before making any changes). Then it was stuck on startup screen. I tried copying Australia files back, but didn’t let me copy all of them back. Then it complained that the Australia Map can’t be loaded with my TomTom and it shows a list of maps to select from which includes Australia Map only but when I choose it I get same message. I tried copying the Australia Folder back again but it doesn’t allow me to copy all files back.

Please help me am stuck. I have a copy of everything on my hard drive (manual backup) but am not able to copy all the files back as they were in Australia folder.

Is there a tool to return the device as it was from factory?
I tried resetting the device by holding the power buttoun for 15 sec several times but that didn’t work. The status now it doesn’t allow me to load Australia Maps as they are not to be loaded in the device. While its is an Austrlian TomTom that comes with Australia maps.

Please help me guys.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sure you have a good backup, reformat the internal memory (to FAT32) and try again.
If it still fails, try to copy everything back in smaller chunks until it fails again and then try progressively smaller and smaller chunks until you find which file is causing the problem.
Hopefully it is a file that can be replaced (i.e. not the certificate for the map or one of the huge map files).
bashar20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure that the corrupted folders are Australia and POI.

I think the Map sets in a maps folder?

what should I do after formatting it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After formatting try to replace your entire backup.
If it fails due to something in the Australia folder, then using Windows Explorer, delete the folder on the TomTom again if it has got that far, then make a new folder with EXACTLY the same name (right click/new/folder)
and begin to paste the individual files from the Australia folder on the backup to the new Australia folder you just made. Do it say five at a time and see if you can find the specific file that causes the problem.

The POI folder is not terribly important. The POI files themselves are stored in the country-named map folder all that gets put in the POI foiolder is a small "signpost" for Home to know where to find them. I would just delete it for now, and worry about the major issue first.
bashar20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, but my main problem now is:
am not able to format, at format completion windows says that the device couldnt be formatted, I tried several times.

any tools to force the format of internal memory??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use just the built in Windows XP/Vista formatting routine...
You should have "Quick Format" UN-ticked.

Apart from that, I haven't any more suggestions.
It could be the internal memory is terminally corrupted... That is exactly what happened to my Go720.
Over a couple of weeks it started behaving more and more strangely. I could copy stuff to the TomTom, see it AND retrieve it, untill I disconnected from the PC, and then it wasn't there any more, Eventually it too refused to format.

If it is a Series 30 XL, it's probably still under guarantee?
bashar20
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its 4 months old. I think the internal memory is stuffed.
now my freind needs to find the invoice to fix it / change it under warranty.
Btw last tiem I tried to format it took 15 hours then when it was done, it said it wasnt succesful.
Thanks for teh help guys.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: