Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Removing power pack v's AA batteries
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing power pack v's AA batteries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an email offering this as a cheap alternative.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=101248&r=20090522
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Just had an email offering this as a cheap alternative.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=&products_id=101248&r=20090522

Not a huge capacity - but at that price it's cheaper than buying 4 rechargables - and it will certainly give you at least a full re-charge of the Active 10.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Mike777 wrote:
In a emergency at the end of the day could you run the active 10 direct from the device ?

Yes as long as you have a cable with you it could be plugged into the device and is capable of both charging the device and powering it at the same time - Mike

I've just caught up with this thread. I use my A10 for long distance cycling and ideally need a power source which will run the A10 continuously for up to 90 hours. Assuming you don't power down the A10 "at the end of the day", have you any idea how long it would run if starting with a fully charged li-pol and a connected fully charged U2O i-UP 5400 charger?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Removing power pack v's AA batteries Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
I am concerned that this swapping over battery pack for cradle will over time weaken the power lead plug and points because it not that easy to pinch and remove the plug. I ended up having the pull the wires to remove the power plug from the active 10.
How do other people manage this?
Mike
I too use the A10 for cycling. I have a spare li-pol which I carry with a pair of small tweezers - the last millimetre of the tweezer tips have been bent in by 90 degrees, thus forming a "grab" which I use to remove the little plug without having to pull it out using the wires, which are indeed fragile and prone to break, as I have found out to my cost!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 to 50 hours use would be my guess, as you are using it on a bike you could make a very high capacity power pack by fitting some industrial rating "D" cell rechargable cells in to a water bottle. I made one of these last year which had a capacity of 8,000mA/Hr which should give you over the 80 hours use the batteries I used are Here they do supply some cells that are even higher capacity (13,000mA/Hr) but these are rather more costly - Mike
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:

...ideally need a power source which will run the A10 continuously for up to 90 hours. Assuming you don't power down the A10 "at the end of the day", have you any idea how long it would run if starting with a fully charged li-pol and a connected fully charged U2O i-UP 5400 charger?

assuming the A-10 Lithium-Ion battery is 2700mAh (sure I read that somewhere, but can't find it now) then as a rough rule of thumb you should double the battery life with the addition of this 2800mAh external battery. so prob max is 60 hours if you're getting 30 hours out of the A-10 Lion.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
mikealder wrote:
Mike777 wrote:
In a emergency at the end of the day could you run the active 10 direct from the device ?

Yes as long as you have a cable with you it could be plugged into the device and is capable of both charging the device and powering it at the same time - Mike

I've just caught up with this thread. I use my A10 for long distance cycling and ideally need a power source which will run the A10 continuously for up to 90 hours. Assuming you don't power down the A10 "at the end of the day", have you any idea how long it would run if starting with a fully charged li-pol and a connected fully charged U2O i-UP 5400 charger?

Just an idea. Uniross do small wind turbine with bult in lipol resevoir. From memory not huge capacity but comes with bike mount so could possibly recharge the A10 on the move.

Last time I looked was about £35 from Mymemory.co.uk. Sorry can't
link at the moment.

Not sure why you don't want to power down at night.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
Just an idea. Uniross do small wind turbine with bult in lipol resevoir. From memory not huge capacity but comes with bike mount so could possibly recharge the A10 on the move.
Thanks, I'll look at this.
4ndynorfolk wrote:
Not sure why you don't want to power down at night.
Because I'm still riding through the night!
ormby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I also carry one of theses, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Battery-Extender-Charger-for-TomTom-Go-720-720T_W0QQitemZ320462597204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioVideoElectronics_PortableAudio_MP3PlayerCarKits?hash=item4a9d0f2c54 very light and can top up my lithium battery when ever i want!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: