Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPRS traffic - total failure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPRS traffic - total failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: GPRS traffic - total failure Reply with quote

Hi, did anyone attempt to use GPRS traffic around 5pm today? I was driving home from work and heard on Capital Radio that J10-J9 (anticlockwise) had long delays. I switched on my Go 530 with GPRS to check whether it showed up, there were no delays whatsoever around London...!!

The HD traffic website was showing the jam that the radio mentioned....!
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I just realised I didn't say which road this was on - doh!

It was the M25 around J10-9 (anticlockwise) on Mon 23rd March.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there about 3:30pm and can confirm that HD Traffic showed the jam (as did the Traffic Announcements on the radio and the M25 Matrix Boards) and routed me away from it.... Sorry but i don't use GPRS Traffic so can't comment on that....
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks PaulB2005, I saw it showing on HD traffic when I got home.

Do you have the HD traffic set up to automatically route you around any problems, or do you set it so that it tells you when it sees a jam ahead and you still have to decide whether to turn off or not?

I guess what I'm saying is, do you trust HD traffic enough to let it route you automatically round a "jam", whether it actually exists or not?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It have it set so if it finds a faster route it'll offer me the choice of sticking with the route or diverting. Worked well yesterday.

Travelling from Durham / Sunderland to Sutton, London. I normally go A1, M1 then M25, using a Via Point to force it to ignore the M18 and A1 (7 miles longer but faster in real life)

Anyway, big delay on M1 so stayed on A1 (much better now roundabouts have gone) as we got near M11 there was delay on the A14 so we stayed on the A1 all the way to the M25. As we came round the M25 we were warned of the accident at Junction 8 so we were routed up the A3 instead of the A217. Then on the A3 we were warned the Ewell By Pass was congested (it was as we passed it) so we went on and came off at Worcester Park. Apart from a few junctions (and a 10 minute leg stretch) we never stopped in 5 hours and it only took 25 minutes longer than the initial M1- M25 route....

We thought it worked really well....
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great! Do you have a 540/740/940?

And do you find it is very quick to tell you about traffic with plenty of notice, or does it lag a little or lose connection every so often?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds great! Do you have a 540/740/940?

At the minute, yes. But don't be fooled by my experience. I'm sure many others will give you tales of woe. Other x40 users do many times the annual mileage i do and all over the country.

What was interesting was watching it on the way up on Friday. 20 minutes from our destination and about 30 seconds ahead of us a motorcycle crashed into the back of a car. The motorway was closed in both directions for about half an hour for the air ambulance. The Northbound hold up did appear after about 10 minutes or so. The southbound hold up appeared just as they reopened the carriageway! I didn't monitor the situation after we were moving but i did also note, in other locations on the way up, that in 4 out of 5 occasions where there was very slow or standing traffic on the other carriageway the TT showed it quite accurately.... On one occasion it didn't show any problems / delays, but then it might have done a minute later....

I've found it quite good around my home area (Sutton, London) and it also showed the traffic chaos caused by another motorcycle accident last Wednesday, the hold ups caused by road works a few streets from my house but failed to show the Sutton one way system as closed for resurfacing for 3 nights last month.....

Quote:
And do you find it is very quick to tell you about traffic with plenty of notice, or does it lag a little or lose connection every so often?

It's difficult to know really, unless you are actually there when an accident occurs or hold up starts....

It gets it's data via the Vodafone network so where there is coverage. Once it has logged into the servers and got data (30-60 seconds normally) I've never noticed it show it has out of date data or loose a signal.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

It's difficult to know really, unless you are actually there when an accident occurs or hold up starts....

You can of course test it in two other ways. One you mentioned - seeing the traffic indicators on the other side of the road, and so far they have been very good when I've been on the motorway. And the other is by being there virtually, and using CCTV cameras to check. The ones I use when idle are http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/home_jamcams.aspx which cover most of the motorways.
chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could use the Highways Agency site

http://www.highways.gov.uk/traffic/traffic.aspx

Use the links and it shows a map of the motorway and major A roads where you can see incidents. You can even read the matrix signs on the motorway!

And on the Traffic England site (which is actually the same thing as the above) you can link to strip maps of the motorways to see even more details and clickable icons to view the cameras.

http://www.trafficengland.com/TCC/SchematicTable/ViewTable.do

And if you are real traffic info anorak you can download a little application that when running sits on the taskbar on your PC and downloads traffic info which you can read in a little pop up at the click of a mouse.

Though not a lot of use if you are in the car Smile I rather think Her Majesty's Finest would take a dim view of you looking up traffic info on you mobile broadband equipped laptop whilst driving Shocked

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: