Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOM TOM 730T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOM TOM 730T

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: TOM TOM 730T Reply with quote

My new TT730T keeps falling off the windscreen even when the vehicle isn't in motion. TT reckon thay have had no negative feedback! Could this be true? Or do they speak with forked tounge?
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has never fallen off in 6 months
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the windshield where you want to place the cup and clean the cup. Now, wet the inside of the cup. Spit works! Next, with the thumb and forefinger of each hand, apply decent pressure as you push the cup onto the windshield (sorry, windscreen Razz ). Imagine you are trying to squeeze out all the air in the cup because that is **exactly** what you are trying to do...

Finally.........attach your unit to the mount part. It may take a time or two to make sure you have slid the unit onto the mount properly.

I find many who report their unit falls off the windscreen attach the unit to the mount and then try to attach the cup part. Won't work ....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:

Next, with the thumb and forefinger of each hand, apply decent pressure as you push the cup onto the windshield (sorry, windscreen Razz ). Imagine you are trying to squeeze out all the air in the cup because that is **exactly** what you are trying to do...

Before I made my custom mount, I found that pushing the suction cup onto the windscreen as normal and then giving a quick push on the end of the arm was good because it put pressure on the centre of the cup which helped to get the air out.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip.......also, some find a bead of liquid dish detergent around the circumferance of the cup seems to make it seal better.

As a rule, I suspect you in Britain are not as susceptable to the severe weather ranges as we in NA are.

Some places get -20C or worse while others get +35C or higher.

That'll test the adherence quality of anything attached to the windshield/windscreen. Razz
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffered this problem back long ago and actually took the device back to Halfords - where the guy stuck it on immediately. Embarassed

On my vehicle, there was a decorative "black" border all round the windscreen and I was trying to attach the mount at the very edge of the screen. The border was made up of small dots which broke the airtight seal before it could even happen!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTs instructions for my 720 said to attach it dry which I've always done and never had it fall off.

But I now have a beanbag mount and it wouldn't stick at all until I wet it then it was fine. So probably either wet or dry will work and it's a case of trial and error.
chajun
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all across the globe. However I have learned from Halfords that TT have now changed the mount on the GO740 Live for just that reason. It's a bit naughty though.
Regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: