Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stuttering on a X40?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuttering on a X40?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Stuttering on a X40? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 540 and recently installed the latest map and application - and now I'm getting stuttering during navigation and yesterday while it seemed to have improved it crashed and rebooted mid-journey. The only two things I can think of that have changed are the map and my LIVE services have lapsed.

Anyone else having reliability issues as I haven't seen much about this sort of issue on the latest X40 range?

I've renewed my subscription using a unique card number limited to £8 so they can't re-bill me again and will see if it magically improves...
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What map and application did you change from and to? It's a known issue with some of the later application versions (search for "stutter" and you'll see it discussed many times).
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... but not reported much on the x40 models. Shocked
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark how did you set up the special card. I wanted to renew as well but was worried about not being able to cancell when I wanted to. This problem was mentioned on an earlier post but gave no recomendations on how to achieve it.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
What map and application did you change from and to? It's a known issue with some of the later application versions (search for "stutter" and you'll see it discussed many times).

Yes but as Andy states, everyone suffering with that seems to be on pre X40 devices, which is what makes this unusual.

I'll get a chance to try it out again tomorrow on the long drive home and will see how things fair then.

wulls wrote:
how did you set up the special card. I wanted to renew as well but was worried about not being able to cancel when I wanted to. This problem was mentioned on an earlier post but gave no recommendations on how to achieve it.

Well, presuming such practice isn't a breach of their T&Cs (I haven't checked yet), my bank (cahoot) lets you generate card numbers with a predetermined amount which will also expire as soon as it is used - with Internet and call centre security in mind.

Thought you might be able to achieve the same thing with some of these prepaid credit cards but the fees come to more than the monthly subscription so not worth the effort.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 540 stutters a fair bit. Always has done but slightly more since upgrading to the new maps.

I've put this down to TomTom cramming in as much information as possible onto an under powered and lacking of RAM device. I mean 64MB RAM? Come on TomTom, my phone has 128MB of RAM as standard!

Not sure if theres a calculated way to check, but I get around 3/5 fps on overhead view when in Detailed towns/cities (3D buildings etc) and just slightly less in 3D view. Device shows apx. 17.8MB of RAM free from the 64MB available.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presume you mean "3 to 5 frames per second".... Three fifths of a frame per sec would be SLOW...(like a x20 when struggling on v8.3 Confused )

But do you really get upto FIVE frames a second? I wouldn't have thought you could count that. At best, I tend to get between 2 and 3 frames a second (twenty to thirty screen refreshes in a 10 second period).
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skwark
thanks for your reply I will look into that, btw has anyone tried to put money into their Tomtom fuel voucher card and use that to pay for live dervices ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulls wrote:
Skwark
thanks for your reply I will look into that, btw has anyone tried to put money into their Tomtom fuel voucher card and use that to pay for live dervices ?

Lots of detail about the Fuel cards in THIS TOPIC
somewhere on page two, it says it works like an ordinary debit card and can be used to buy anything.
Other posts say it won't work in "pay at the pump" machines and that it can't be used to buy LIVE services.
The last post about topping up went unanswered, but I'm sure I read elsewhere that you can't.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Presume you mean "3 to 5 frames per second".... Three fifths of a frame per sec would be SLOW...(like a x20 when struggling on v8.3 Confused )

Sorry Andy. I do mean between 3 AND 5 fps Embarassed

Andy_P wrote:

But do you really get upto FIVE frames a second? I wouldn't have thought you could count that. At best, I tend to get between 2 and 3 frames a second (twenty to thirty screen refreshes in a 10 second period).

This was just a guesstamate, no scientific calculations other than by what my human eye is picking up Smile

I tend to find the screen refresh rate very slow and as such only use the audio instructions for guidance and don't bother to look at the screen very often because of this.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: