Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTN3 Traffic feature, how does it connect?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTN3 Traffic feature, how does it connect?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: TTN3 Traffic feature, how does it connect? Reply with quote

Running a Tosh e330 and out of curiocity I was wondering how do I connect a mobile phone to my ppc.

As currently the SD slot is used and the data connection is used via the GPS... which leaves me hmmm no free ports.

Also If I am on a call via my blue tooth phone kit, when the TTN3 software requests a traffic update (lets say every hour), will it interupt the call?

forgive me for my less technical mind Mr. Green

TIA

Salsa
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the updates come via GPRS. Depending on your phone an incoming/outgoing voice call may interrupt (or not) the GPRS connection. Don't forget, these updates are not real time, so it may not matter much.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are saying that you have a bluetooth hands free kit then there has been much debate as to what if any phone will allow 2 bt connections at the same time.

I have a reasonably up to date moto v500 and it definately won't let me connect my ipaq and my handsfree kit at the same time. I think the answer is to use a 2nd phone for the data - if you have an old handset get a PAYG card and use it for data only. This isn't ideal but I guess there maybe more handsfree kits sold in the UK due to the new law than in most places in Europe so it possibly is less of a problem elsewhere.
Salsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Yep, i've got a spare handset that can be used as a dedicated connection and also a spare PAYG sim card.

however still not sure on the solution of having it permently connected does this mean every time I want a traffic update I have to unplug my GPS from the PPC then plug in my phone, get the latest traffic updates, then plug back in the gps? Rolling Eyes

Salsa
Carll
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Second Handset Reply with quote

Confused
With the greatest due respect guys, I do not think many users are going to either have or buy a second hand set for the traffic option. The system simply has to be usable with one phone, so while on a voice call, the data link would be interupted, or unable to connect. When finished the system would make a quick download, as the size of data is actually small. I would also not think you would not need to connect more than 4 times an hour to keep up to date with the traffic.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem re the connection (at least for me) is that if my bt handsfree kit is attched to my ear and the boom is open it connects to the phone all the time regardless of a call is being made or not.

I'm using a motorola headset with the phone - previously I had a sony ericcson phone and bt handsfree - I'm not sure that the bt connection was the same.

I guess until the traffic update is available we won't know how useful it is or what system it uses. I am relatively happy with my seperate trafficmaster unit plus rds traffic on the radio at the moment. However as I drive between 500 & 1000 miles a week in my car anything to make journeys more pleasant/easier would be welcome.
samriley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isnt GPRS on a PAYG tarriff rediculasly expensive, well it is on orange about £4/mb
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure your PAYG offers mobile internet GPRS and not just WAP GPRS? Check to see what you APN is set to, if it is "orangeinternet" you should be ok, if it is "orangewap" it probably won't work.

As an interesting bluetooth aside, I can get my iPAQ to connect to GPRS, TomTom bluetooth and listen to TomTom sounds on my bluetooth headset.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Samriley

the cost on orange is high but I rarely use more than 1.5mb's per month and I use my ipaq & gprs to check for emails multiple times every day - I never download attachments or surf the net though.

As for the traffic info the data is likely to be in the region of 3 - 4 k a pop so Imb should see you through a month with some to spare
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Second Handset Reply with quote

Carll wrote:
Confused
With the greatest due respect guys, I do not think many users are going to either have or buy a second hand set for the traffic option. The system simply has to be usable with one phone, so while on a voice call, the data link would be interupted, or unable to connect. When finished the system would make a quick download, as the size of data is actually small. I would also not think you would not need to connect more than 4 times an hour to keep up to date with the traffic.

That is entirely down to your phone hardware, though, not TomTom. Most phones are GPRS Class B, which means that during a voice, fax or data call, GPRS operation is suspended - then restored once the call is over.

As for updates every 15 minutes - that could be too slow in developing traffic situations. A recent article to do with the new traffic patrols the Highways Agency are experimenting with said that in peak conditions, traffic could back up a mile a minute!

A bigger problem for many is that a lot of phones only support one Bluetooth connection at once, even if one Bluetooth device is audio (either a headset or car kit) and the other data (a Pocket PC). Certainly most Nokia phones have this restriction.

I'm fortunate - I'm using a wired car kit with my 6310i (which gives me an external antenna and in-car charging).

Pay as you go SIMs don't necessary support GPRS Internet access - I don't think Vodafone ones do. You will need GPRS Internet - GPRS WAP and MMS only is no good.

Orange - the pre-pay APNs are payginternet and paygwap. If payginternet doesn't work for you, you'll have to call Customer Services to get it enabled. I think the cost is GBP4/MByte (there again, TomTom Traffic is unlikely to use that much data).

David
Salsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't suppose anyone knows the answer to my orignal post.. ? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Running a Tosh e330 and out of curiocity I was wondering how do I connect a mobile phone to my ppc.

As currently the SD slot is used and the data connection is used via the GPS... which leaves me hmmm no free ports.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to answer the original post....

If the tosh doesn't have bt and you are all ready using the serial port then the the only way would be via ir - this wouldn't be practical in a car I suspect - also your phone would need an ir port!

So the answer is you can't unless you discontect something first.

Ian

ps I don't think there are any items you could plug into the sd slot that would help - if its sdio compatible then this may change in the future.
Salsa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers , thanks for a good answer iancjc Laughing
Lost1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I seem dense, but this whole subject is getting me pretty confused Confused .

Can any one explain to me (in simple terms) how I can go on a 5 Hr journey and have a phone connected to where ever & what ever and not run up a massive phone bill. (hint:- it took me months to realise that a bt device was a Blue Tooth device and not a British Telecom device)

I am really interested in the possibility of live traffic updates especially for when I go to France later on this year, but I have not found any clear details about this feature on the TomTom website.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On top of the ubiquitous GSM (mobile phone) network recently they have added another transport layer called GPRS - General Packet Radio Service.

When you make a (GSM) phone call, you connect, you talk, you disconnect, you get charged for the connection time.

GPRS is more like the internet - the cable is always connected, but this doesn't mean there is always something happening. Only from time to time there are pieces of data (packets) traveling over the GPRS network. These packets can contain traffic updates, or website content, or email etc.

Different from GSM where you are charged by time, GPRS is charged by the number of packets you send back and forth.

Therefore you can stay "always on" in GPRS, but only get charged for actual traffic.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: