Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Non map on GO720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Non map on GO720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydeb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Non map on GO720 Reply with quote

Hi All,

First post on here. Yesterday I bought my first satnav (TomTom GO720). I connected the device to my pc and got HOME installed. The software then prompted me about updates that were available to download, which I duly did. However part way through installing the latest W.E. map the process was stopped saying I did not have enough room for the install. My problem now is I can't seem to get any map to install and when I remove the 720 from the dock it starts and says no map has been found. When I use the HOME software to browse the device it says the map installed needs activating but I have no activation code as this was supposed to be a free update. I have noticed that the dates on some of the files in the map folder are 2007 and about 6 of them are yesterdays date (26/03/2009). Have I got a mixed install and if so how can I resolve it? Hope someone can help.

p.s. no I didn't make a backup unfortunately I just followed the updates blindly.

Cheers

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, sadly without a backup there isn't too much that can be done with this, try exchanging it with the retailer you purchased it from claiming it was dead on arival, or contact TomTom support and see if they can offer you assistance 0845 161 0009 - Mike
mystery_blue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with mike's comments

For info.....

I run into the space issue with my 920 with the Tom Tom application and latest WE maps - I deleted non UK voice folders under \LoquendoTTS (Dutch French German and Italian) backing them up to pc first before loading the map.

My friend had the same issue as you with his new XL he had a USB hub issue causing his map gaurentee downloads to fail when 95% complete he also had the the map activation message - also never took a backup before starting.

He contacted tom tom support who did start to go through the process of allowing a new map download after submitting his reciept (photo via support email) however I believe the map was available still before needing this as they said it would take a couple of days to get authorised. Once I sorted out his hub issue - the latest application and the map gaurantee was still available and downloaded to his device.

Before restarting I carried out this proceedure see. "My map download was interrupted". How can I resume the download? on tom toms site help..

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/cgi-bin/tomtom_uk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=9869&Lid=1

Best of Luck

Last edited by mystery_blue on Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a used 720?

Maybe the previous owner used a patched version of the firmware which only recognises patched maps?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that once you had bought (or been authorised) a new map, it was available for download for a year.... Is that not still the case?

If it is, then the way to get Home to trigger a new download is just to delete the corrupted or incomplete folder from BOTH the TomTom AND your PC and then run 'Get Maps' again (or it may be 'update', I can't remember which precisely).
andydeb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Good news I am up and running. I have had to install the latest application so that it recognised the latest maps. Prior to this I deleted all map locations both on the 720 and on my pc (from the initial download). This then enabled me to get the latest Western Europe map again. Once this was done everything kicked into life.
For the record this was a refurb which was sealed and as new. The documentation and cd were sealed. Not sure how I would have got on with TomTom further down the line as they were asking for proof of purchase and I bought from a shop on ebay.
Not to worry all sorted now.

Cheers Andy
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That great now DO A BACKUP via Windows not Home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: