Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Importing gpx file of munros lists etc into satmap: Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing gpx file of munros lists etc into satmap: Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnrc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Importing gpx file of munros lists etc into satmap: Help Reply with quote

There is a very useful set of gpx files at:

http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/waypoints/

It has a list of waypoints for british hills (Munros, Marilyns, Corbetts , trig points etc) as gpx files. I used satsync to import these into satmap with little trouble. However, in the list of POIs the labels are the heights of the hills in metres. This is obviously not at all handy (even the most nerdy munroist will not be able to spot the hill they are looking for from height in metres).

I know next to nothing about gpx format but I did load the files into the easygps program. In that program the field "label" is the heights in metres and the names of the hills (which is what I want to see when I got to my list of POIs in satmap) are under the fields "decription" and "Comment" (they appear twice).

Does anyone know how to get the names of the hills appearing in the satmap POI list I am assuming I need to do some processing of the file outside of satmap to change the fields about - relatedly will GPX complain if, as there is here, there are spaces in the names (ie "Cairn Toul")

Sorry for such a long post but hope someone can help
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm doing here is blowing a hole in the GPX standard, but as it's in tatters so here goes.
1. First create a working copy of the file.
2. Open in Notepad.
3. Do edit - Replace all in the following order:
1. <name> to <fix>
2. </name> to </fix>
3. <cmt> to <name>
4. </cmt> to </name>

Save as "mynewfile.gpx" making sure you have set "Save as type" to "all files". Import into Satmap.
If you or I have mistyped anything it will not work, so if it fails try again and come back to me.
I'm making a lot of assumptions on how Satmap reads the file and what it ignores so this may fail to work on future updates.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSAK software will do this perfectly for you, I have just down load all 284 munro waypoints to sat map with no editing in less than 2 minutes. If you don't know GSAK software you can down load it for free at http://www.gsak.net/ it continues to be free but after 30 days you get nag screens when you log in. The one off subscription is not expensive and very worth while.

The software is designed for geocaching and many people on the forum already use my macro for upload thier caches into Satmap. You don't need my macro for to import the munro waypoints though.

The steps you take are:
1) Download and install GSAK
2) Download the munro waypoints and save to your hard drive
3) Open GSAK and load the munro gpx file by clicking file / load gpk
4) Locate the munro gpx file and click ok
5) Click File / Export GPX and choose a place to save it
6) in the waypoint name box enter %name
7) in the cache description box enter %Code
8) Click ok
9) import into satmap through satsync
10 Edit the blank POI category that now appears in your satmap to give it name
11) Go and have a nice walk!!!

As I've now got a gpx file with all the munro waypoints in it if you want it PM me with your email address and I'll send it on
johnrc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Satmap GPX POIs for all UK hills now available Reply with quote

Thanks very much for both of the replies to my query. Both will be useful for other POI stuff. However, the owner of the POI site has now, very kindly, re-gigged all the waypoint files to create SATMAP versions of the GPX files ! That is, for all Marilyns, Munros, Corbetts, Wainwrights etc
(these differ from the standard existing gpx files on the site which, as noted, had heights as the POI names. These satmap files have the (full) hill names as the POI names.

If anyone else could make use of these then go the site, click on waypoints and select the last of the left hand buttons for each list labelled as satmap gpx fles (or something similar)

The web page is:
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/

Thanks again (GSAK sounds worth looking at)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: