Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed corrections to map v8.3 (New A127 Specs)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed corrections to map v8.3 (New A127 Specs)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Speed corrections to map v8.3 (New A127 Specs) Reply with quote

Hi there, it's me again.

Now that I am the proud owner of the pocketgpsworld camera database, I thought I would update the new spped limits on the A127 where the new specs cameras have been located.

The stretch of road from southend towards Bailson has a number of different speed limits at different locations, 40mph, 50 mph and 70mph, although the specs only cover the bit in the middle at 50 and 70 mph.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I have altered the speed limit now for the whole of the A127 to 40mph. Is there a quick fix to this?

Many thanks.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Can you post the co-ordinates so I can have a look? Also, the speed limit changes you mention, have you submitted them as new cameras or speed limit changes?

Also, you mention 'quick fix'? Are you asking if they can be corrected any quicker based on your reports?

Unfortunately, no. Almost every reported camera gets checked through a visit from one of the verifiers. I am one of them. Sometimes MaFt, the database guru, will add cameras if there is a sudden flurry of submissions all in the same place. But for 95% of the submissions, one of the verifiers will have to visit the location to accept or decline the submission.

Hope this helps.

Ste

iPhone 12
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't understand, what are the coordinates? Do you mean the colour settings? I use Bekgica for the day and antartica for the night.

Thanks

TT730T
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinates = location in Longtitude and Latitude.

i.e. 51.57308216312301, 0.4581642150878906
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I corrected and uploaded to Tom Tom Home all speed limits for the whole length off the A127 on the day the specs went live back in January.

If you subscribe to the home map corrections they should be released as soon as Tom Tom vertify them.

As I travel on the A127 from London M25 to Southend on a regular basis, I can confirm my corrections are correct and change at the exact point the specs kick in both West to East and East to West.
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Hi there. Can you post the co-ordinates so I can have a look? Also, the speed limit changes you mention, have you submitted them as new cameras or speed limit changes?

I think the OP is referring to changing the speed limit of the ROAD via TomTom MapShare... nothing to do with the camera database.

Rascal, in TomTom Home, there is a menu option to remove your own MapShare corrections. I'm afraid there is no way to just remove ONE, you have to do the lot.

If you make any more speed corrections, you'll see by tapping the map carefully and zooming in and out, that you can select certain sections of the road to correct. Those sections are coded into the map though and will rarely exactly correspond to the places you want the speed corrections to go. there's nothing you can do about it, unfortunately.
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy, I think I will remove the lot and start again because I have caused a right old mess.

To add a new speed to a section of road I am confused as to whether I should be clicking to add the green line in the middle of the road, or clicking to remove it.

Can you advise please.

Paul,

Where do I find the co-ordinates button to read this data.

Thanks both,

Rascall
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section of road highlighted green is the bit the new speed limit will refer to. Often when you first go into the Map Correction page it will have highlighted the whole road, so you need to start clicking on sections to de-select them.
Don't expect it to be easy or even possible to get it just how you need it, the system is basically not very good!

In order to see the Lat/Long coordinates on the normal "Browse map" screen, go to that page and select "options" at the bottom. You should then get a list of things to tick or un-tick and one of them will be "coordinates".
Once selected there, they will also appear on the Map Correction pages.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to do this myself after messing up changing a road name so this is from experience.

Two things that can help for next time though...

1) Backup regularly so that you can restore your files in future if necessary if you mess up again.

2) Change the colour scheme to "Greys" when you are doing the changes as the selected roads show up much better (sometimes a completely separate section of road miles away can be "the same" road when it has the same attributes).
Brodit ProClip mount
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is starting to beat me.

The CO_ORDINATES of the route I am trying to change the speed of on my map starts at approx N 51 33.702 E 0 40.725 (A127 J/W Southbourbe Grove to approx N 51 35.245 E 0 13.434

The point I am trying to make is that the camera database showing the cameras is correct, it is the speed (in the blue section) at the bottom of the screen that is wrong, as it dose not correspond to the real road speed and the database camera speed.

I have just this read and what I have written seems as clear as mud - Sorry to your people who are trying to help me.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rascall, I believe I do know what you mean. You are using "Map corrections" to do changes to the map data, right Confused. The talk about cameras is just co-incidental really.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about changing the speeds. IQ routes will be used when calculating the route. The only thing you'll see is the speed on the map. Personally, I wouldn't trust this as it's often wrong (but getting better).

Looking at the road you are trying to change, it should be possible once you start editing the route as it's lots of small sections.

I've only done this once to try to stop it sending me through the city centre 20mph section (it thought I could do upto 46 Shocked ). If you do want to go ahead, my suggestions earlier may make it a little easier to see what you're doing and get old data back if you do make any mistakes.
Brodit ProClip mount
rascall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gerry,

I think I will have to leave it for a while, Have just got a mighty ballocking from Mrs. Rascall cos i've been on the computer and playing with my tomtom all day. Apparantly I have been snapping at her everytime she speaks, telling her she's making me loose my concentration on this blooming 10mile stretch of road maps.

I would never admit it to her, but she may have a point. I have been trying to get this fixed since midday.

It's weird just how this little problem has got a grip of me.

Thanks for all your help Gerry, I'll try again tomorrow but won't tell her indoors.

Rascall
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:

2) Change the colour scheme to "Greys" when you are doing the changes

That's a good idea. Hadn't thought of that one.
Now I've had a play, I've realised that if you've got "Traffic" on your unit you can get a similar grey effect (quicker) by enabling Traffic on your map view in the options.

rascall wrote:

The point I am trying to make is that the camera database showing the cameras is correct, it is the speed (in the blue section) at the bottom of the screen that is wrong,

I'm understanding you too... but did you miss my point that it's entirely possible the TT will not LET you choose the right bits of road?

Good luck with the missus, and well done for finding a word that gets past the stupid auto-censor here. Laughing
batties
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to sound smug in my earlier reply. But if I can help with the A127 speed corrections (or better still) someone explain to me how I can share my corrections here - I am more than happy to help!
TT Home version 2.7.5.2014
iPhone 4S with CameraAlert
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi batties

It sounds like you have done everything right but unless enough are sent, it's not possible to say when or if TomTom will pass these corrections on to others via mapshare. It will look OK on your map as they are your changes.

I don't believe their verification programme has ever been made public.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: