Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v8.25 Map now out to purchase, no new application!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v8.25 Map now out to purchase, no new application!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanH wrote:
to ensure that I keep my favourites/settings, all I need to do is copy the current .cfg file onto my desktop, download the new maps, and then copy the .cfg file back in to map folder?
Correct, the Home software should do this for you but I wouldn't trust it! But there have been occasions where even doing the file copy manually doesn't work because TomTom alter the format of the MapSettings.cfg file.

As for the tittle of this thread, a new application was released a few weeks ago which is Navcore 8,301 (for x20/ x30) and Navcore 8,310 (for x40 devices) I would have though the units would need to be running that in order for the new map to work - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanH wrote:
Sorry for veering slightly off-topic, but I have a 520 with the latest maps and firmware, and a subscription to update maps for a year. Would I be correct in assuming that before downloading the new map release, and to ensure that I keep my favourites/settings, all I need to do is copy the current .cfg file onto my desktop, download the new maps, and then copy the .cfg file back in to map folder?
Correct BUT... we strongly recommend you do a complete backup of your 520, by copying everything to a folder on your computer, using Windows Explorer. We recommend this every time before you make any changes, create a new folder for each one, with a good enough description to identify what's there. You'll obviously be able to copy the .cfg file from inside there any time.

The download I did this morning lost my Home location, Favourites and Recent Destinations. Home I can resurrect by a couple of taps. Recent destinations don't bother me and I long ago eliminated Favourites by converting them to POIs. The download transferred all my existing POIs, including all the Pocketgpsworld speed cameras, with their warning settings.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
AlanH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanH wrote:
Sorry for veering slightly off-topic, but I have a 520 with the latest maps and firmware, and a subscription to update maps for a year. Would I be correct in assuming that before downloading the new map release, and to ensure that I keep my favourites/settings, all I need to do is copy the current .cfg file onto my desktop, download the new maps, and then copy the .cfg file back in to map folder?

Technicaly, yes - you're correct. However, it is recommended that you do a full back-up of everything on your TT before you start downloading. If anything should go wrong in the download, then you've always got something to fall back on.

I would also do a full back-up after it has finished downloading/installing for exactly the same reasons.
sven1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just installed new maps and 8.301. home and faves, etc lost. copied over old cfg file and 920 stuck in endless reboot cycle Crying or Very sad

connected it to TTHome and operated it from there (faves and home were there) and then disconnected and everything now fine. might be a useful tip to anyone caught similarly.
Jon
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anybody who has purchased the v825 maps see any difference with the old map . myself i think navteq have more up todate maps and teleatlas don't really change any items on the maps , and i bet the thounsands of map share submissions only a few will be in the new map ( actually it's just the old map with a different number )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well HERE'S A THREAD which shows the map HAS changed, so all is not vapourware. Unfortunately, that change is for the worse! Rolling Eyes

topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that's a minus 1 change
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This losing of Favourites is why I stopped using Favourites some considerable time ago, sometimes its an application update other times a map update can cause this issue.

What you can do is convert your MapSettings.cfg file to an ov2 file and use it as a custom POI file with a number of associated benefits:

1/ You can have the file on multiple devices.
2/ You can have the same locations on different maps
3/ They are not affected by updates to software
4/ They are not affected by updates to maps
5/ Custom POI files can contain phone numbers
6/ You can have thousands of locations per category

If you want POIEdit download it from Here install it to the PC and use it to open the old MapSettings.cfg file. Use the file Save as ov2 option which will convert the file to the custom POI type - Mike
topbanana4
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's shameful how tomtom treat people ( we have all submitted mapshare corrections ) and when new maps get released all these mapshare are not shown . but they will be asking us to resubmit them .
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my nice shiny new 940 live doesn't even let me subscribe to map update service. Lets me but a single map, but does't offer me the service. I`ll be dammed if i`m paying almost £80 for WCE when the map update service is about £40 a year for 4 maps!

iPhone 12
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied my mapsettings.cfg from my 815 backup to the 825 map and all seems well. But it was only my Home location because all my favourites are POIs. It did restore my camera warnings which I had lost though.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
It did restore my camera warnings which I had lost though.
Don't you use the OGG file method? They never get lost.

Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the new maps to my 540 in under 10 minutes.

Before the update I planned a few routes to see if IQ Routes data would be updated, and it does appear there are some subtle changes in the data.

Home to work, Monday 7am
815 map 1hr11 35.2M - 825 map exactly the same

Work to home, Friday 5pm
815 map 1hr13 35.5M - 825 map 1hr12 35.4M (different route out of Leeds)

London to Edinburgh, Monday 7am
815 map 6hr59 406M - 825 map 7hr 406M

Edinburgh to London, Friday 5pm
815 map 6hr53 399M - 825 map 6hr56 399M
garcor
Regular Visitor

Location: Nova Scotia & Florida in Winter Go 920 App 8.351 Maps NA 850 & C/W EU 830

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
So it would appear the rumored North American map subscription is still not being offered. I just can't affford to pay $130 US for a one-off update, and it's beginning to be more apparent that a NA subscription is not forthcoming.

It is good to see the new maps will be taking advantage of the current Navcore we've all come to know and love. Rolling Eyes

Was talking to TT Suport this am and I asked the rumored North American map subscription and was told it isn't a roomer it is comming but that they didn't have a release date yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: