Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 Won't reboot (soft or hard)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard) Reply with quote

After I was having some problems with my connections to the servers, (more than likely the fault of the servers than me by the looks of things) I tried to reboot my device.

Held down the power button for 15/20 sec to soft reboot....done, drum roll and all.

When I continue to hold down the power button for a further 5 or so seconds to preform a hard reboot the device briefly reboots, then sticks on the bootup screen (the one that looks like a DOS screen with all the config info) and does not move beyond the last line which reads RTC: (Time and date) until I push the reboot button again.

This subsequently switches off the device, and doesn't preform the reboot.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this, and how I can resolve it?

I don't have any 3rd party software/POI's etc installed and the device is as standard, with software versions per my sig.

Question
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a full backup of the device prior to it going wrong? - also when you connect the device to the PC can you see it using Windows Explorer, it should list files and folders etc - Mike
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a backup, no. (let the flameing begin!) and it sucsessfully connects to HOME and Explorer where the contents of the device can be seen, and all the various HOME updates are sucsessfull.

I've also tried resetting factory settings first, with the same result.

Update: Just noticed that whenever I connect the device to the docking station, windows now pops up, "Do you want to Scan and Fix TomTom?" followed by, "There might be a problem with some files of this device or disk. This can happen if you remove the device or disk before all files have been written to it" with hte options to scan and fix, or continue without scanning. I've never been aware of removing the device from the docking station during read/write.

I'm uninstalling the application, and running the TomTom Flash cleaner. Fingers crossed. Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard) Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:

Held down the power button for 15/20 sec to soft reboot....done, drum roll and all.

When I continue to hold down the power button for a further 5 or so seconds to preform a hard reboot....

Can you possibly say where this info comes from?

I have always maintained there is only ONE type of re-boot on a TomTom, but would love to be proved wrong!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard) Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I have always maintained there is only ONE type of re-boot on a TomTom, but would love to be proved wrong!
I believe it is specific to the x40 devices, but is This any help?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard) Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
I believe it is specific to the x40 devices, but is This any help?

If you mean Mike's reply:
mikealder wrote:
That doesn't sound too good, but try resetting the device, as you have found there is no such didicated reset switch but if you press and hold the power button for long enough the device will reset - you gat the black screen with the TomTom Logo and the Drum Roll, at this point release the button and let the device boot - then see if you can do anything with it - Mike

...then that seems to agree with me, that there is only one type of re-boot. Or have I missed something else in that topic?

Graeme2812 seemed so confident in what he said, I fell he must have read it somewhere official!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard) Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:

When I continue to hold down the power button for a further 5 or so seconds to preform a hard reboot....

On my ONE v4 EasyPort, you do hold the On/Off button down for a length of time, and it resets, depending how long you hold it for and then do it again, not sure as this has only happened a couple of times you can also get a screen with all the system info on it.

But am not going to try it at this time because if you do get the system info screen it seems to wipe all the Favorites and so on.

When you get the TT screen and drum roll it must be a soft reset, the info screen one must be a full reset.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this since updating my 520 with latest software.

Actually it worked ok for a couple of days until i connected to home yesterday and updated map share and gpsfix only.
After that I could not start the 520.
Normal pin reset did not work.(froze on boot).
If you hold down the power button after a soft reset it sticks on the "dos" screen.
(gives info on the model ,s/no, chips etc).

I reverted to my backup after attempting the procedure as per TT web site to get the unit to reboot again and failed.
EG i format 520 and copied backup onto 520.
Kev
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gluey wrote:
I reverted to my backup after attempting the procedure as per TT web site to get the unit to reboot again and failed.
Kev, is the device still not working? or was this in reply to the original post about two types of reset - Mike
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 540 Won't reboot (soft or hard) Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Graeme2812 wrote:

Support told me to do this after the LIVE Services stopped working. Hold down the power button until the drum roll is a normal (I call it warm) reset, and continue to hold it down for a further 2-5sec is a full (cold) reboot.

A cold reboot usually results in the system info screen being displayed first (like an old DOS screen) for me, however this is where it's freezing!
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did have the latest version 8.3... on my 520.
All okay for a couple of days.
Connected to TT Home and updated Mapshare and gpsfix only.
Clicked on disconnect device.
Safe to disconnect.
Unit then failed to boot up.
pressed reset and still same.
pressed reset then HELD power button down.
"Dos" screen displays while held down.
Leave go and stalls on boot up.

Tried to fix as per TT instructions on boot failure.
Still no good.

Formated 520 and re istalled backup 8.3000.
Restarted ok.
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I had same prob on 720 exactly 1 trip after upgrading to 8.320. I found I had to remove the (mp3 only) memory card, and then and only then did the sequence above clear the freeze on boot/resume.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try copying a Navcore to the microSD card and then try booting from that?

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: