Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New SPECS on M3 J4 - J2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New SPECS on M3 J4 - J2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: New SPECS on M3 J4 - J2 Reply with quote

There are a load of SPECS going up on the M3 J4 to J2 both directions. I am not sure of the speed, they look permanent, so may be 70.

I submitted loads of them on Sunday night, but only got email confirmation of 2. I got no email for the one I completed today. Is this normal? Confused
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does a permanent SPECS camera look different to a temporary one? They are all generally mounted on poles on the side of the road, with a SPECS logo in the corner between the vertical pole and the horizontal arm.

It's quite likely that they were installing these prior to the commencement of some roadworks, and they may not be operational yet.

You would normally get email confirmation of every camera you submit, but a member of the team will have to tell you how many of your submissions were actually received.
phillik
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: M3 SPECS Reply with quote

Daggers

Yes, a bit more googleing and I find they are temp and will be set at 50 for road works until end June.
http://www.surreyheath.gov.uk/news/news.htm?mode=10&pk_news=601

I hope all the ones I entered got accepted as it was quite a bit of work doing 10 entries, but they were all marked as 70 (Sorry MaFt Embarassed )

Cheers
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of this morning they were not active, the speed is still NSL.
xander
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaggieBoy wrote:
As of this morning they were not active, the speed is still NSL.

When do they go 'live'..?

I noticed this morning thet the Matrix signs were flashing '50', however there were no roadworks signage or fixed (50) signs, etc...

Are the SPECs linked to the matrix signs, or only set once the (50) roadworks signs are in place, etc...? Or are they running at NSL (regardless of flashing matrix signs)?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander wrote:

Are the SPECs linked to the matrix signs, or only set once the (50) roadworks signs are in place, etc...? Or are they running at NSL (regardless of flashing matrix signs)?

Who knows? No easy way to find out....
I would guess they are *not* connected to the matrix signs system and they may not be operating at NSL at all, but are just waiting for the roadworks to commence before being switched on.

Pure speculation though...
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matrix signs here cannot impose a speed limit, as they have no red circle. Once the roadworks start, I'm sure that proper "hard" speed limit signs will appear.
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 50 limit has now been imposed, I think it is prudent to assume the SPECS are now active.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Who knows? No easy way to find out....

Actually there is one easy way to find out. Could be expensive though!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a number of people flying along this bit, and also the area closer to the M25. Tying in with a question raised in the most recent newsletter, it does make you wonder if they actually do anything, or whether some drivers just don't understand what average means?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These cameras are the perfect reason to specify cruise control on a new car, set up your sat nav, set your cruise control & pass safely through the affected section, without the danger of getting a ticket. Very Happy
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found this

M25/M3 Junction Traffic Management Trial (Average Speed Camera Enforcement) does this mean it's a permanent measure or what?

Yes, I know it says trial, but you know what the HA are like with never-ending trials. Rolling Eyes

Also this is taken from the Surrey "Safety Camera" Partnership site.

Quote:
Motorists who speed through a new set of roadworks on the M3 in Surrey face the prospect of fines and penalty points on their licence.

The Highways Agency (HA) will be carrying out major maintenance work between junctions four and three from next week until the end of June 2009.

Average speed cameras will enforce both the northbound and southbound carriageway to ensure motorists drive at safe speeds, protecting both road users and contractors on site. This will be particularly important during off peak hours and at night when traffic moves more freely.

Enforcement will be provided by the Surrey Safety Camera Partnership at the invitation of the HA, who are managing the project, with a limit of 50mph.

The site will have vehicle activated warning signs that illuminate if drivers are approaching too fast to give them warning of the speed limit and the presence of cameras. There will also be fixed safety camera warning signs combined with speed limit repeater signs on both sides of the road - but if drivers fail to heed the warnings and reduce their speeds they risk being issued with a penalty.

The HA is renewing the drainage systems on this section of the M3 to improve drainage performance to ensure the carriageway remains safe and reliable for drivers. The work will take place between the Maultway Bridge (B3015) in Camberley and Junction 3 (A322) at Lightwater.

Three narrow lanes of the motorway will remain open on the M3 in each direction during daytime hours, with any lane closures at night.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine them staying, but you never know. Are SPECS cameras known for staying post-construction?

I'm bemused by the comments about lane closures, as at least twice they've closed a southbound lane in rush hour causing lots of delays.

I'm also bemused by the traffic lights they have installed at 4a and 4 (at least), for traffic filtering onto the motorway. What practical purpose they think these will serve I have no idea! A total waste of money.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: