Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 3 Places Not In Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 3 Places Not In Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with TTN3 and load the PostCode database, it's not a difficult process and it's so useful you'll wonder how you managed without it.

If you need any help just ask Smile
TransWARPed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelmsford in Essex (The County Town Of Essex Confused ) is not in there. Some borough's of Chelmsford are there but their boundaries are all over the place extending to places they shouldn't be. My borough of Chelmsford is Springfield. If I try to bookmark my road it shows is at being in Sheepcotes which isn't even close! 8O TomTom 2 used to show my road as being in Aberdeenshire but at least I could find it under Chelmsford, Essex as well!

Poor show by TomTom. :x
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not just poor - it's pathetic!
Yet another good reason to give TTN3 a wide berth until they get it sorted!!
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Did as you suggested and loaded the postcodes. I haven't yet tried it on an actual live test but putting in known postcodes such as my work location in Leeds it finds these straight away and works great.

Thanks for the advice

Regards

Alan Thumbs Up
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Many apologies, so used to reading threads by David's

Regards

Alan Embarassed
Trev_H
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also missing is Aylesbury, Bucks!
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is indeed missing - quite a large place from what I remember!! Notice if you type in Aylesbury and tap ok it comes up with Aylesbeare (Devon) and asks for the street!! Of course if you were trying to navigate to Joe Blogg's house at 32 Acacia Avenue Aylesbury Bucks and you didn't have a clue about the postcode you would be pretty well shafted and would have to resort to popping into the nearest petrol station to buy a map - of course you could always go home and log onto the internet and get the postcode off the Royal Mail website - what a joke!!!!! 8O 8O 8O
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,

Did as you suggested and loaded Niel's postcodes - what a revelation, I am fortunate that many of the places I need the sat nav for are hotels and offices, and other locations for which it is quite easy for me to track down the post codes.

Tested it out yesterday morning driving to my office in leeds which has a name rather than a number. Previously TT would get me to the end of the street which is a long street and has crossroads etc. This time using the postcode it took me right into the car park.

Having noted the differant comments about "SDK's" may have got that wrong, but I understand this is software that Niel's would have had to purchase to create his software - and the note on Niel's sight about donations I would have been more than happy to do this but I do not have a paypal account. Is this needed to donate to him ?

Regards

Alan Happy
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course if you were trying to navigate to Joe Blogg's house at 32 Acacia Avenue Aylesbury Bucks and you didn't have a clue about the postcode you would be pretty well shafted and would have to resort to popping into the nearest petrol station to buy a map

Or maybe not...
As per the other thread, what if you put Buckinghamshire into the City field, when you enter Acacia... into the next field, I'm pretty certain you'll only get the Acacia's in Bucks.

Brett
vxer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: More errors!! Reply with quote

Used it for the first time this week after using TTN2 for two years!!!!!
My office in Uxbridge now shows as Uxbridge (Brixton), Down the road Denham has moved to the description Denham (Suffolk) and I live in Aylesbury............

This is a joke! How can they get this so wrong?????
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vxer... No it's not a joke - it really is that bad!!! If you want to retain your sanity go back to TTN2!!! 8O
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: More errors!! Reply with quote

vxer wrote:
Used it for the first time this week after using TTN2 for two years!!!!!
My office in Uxbridge now shows as Uxbridge (Brixton), Down the road Denham has moved to the description Denham (Suffolk) and I live in Aylesbury............

This is a joke! How can they get this so wrong?????

That's a historic bug from Navigator 2 that never got fixed, though it may be related to the seeming deficiencies in the database in both versions. The 'administrative area' (Navigator 2) or county (usual for Navigator 3) displayed in brackets was, in many cases, wrong - Navigator tends to pick one variant out of the database and use it for all places of that name. Sometimes it's even more bizarre than that - I'm not sure there's an Uxbridge in Brixton.

It is annoying - but purely a cosmetic bug. It would be nice if TomTom fixed it, but I left it out of the 'open letter' because it is just cosmetic.

For a bit of perspective - please remember that Navigator 2's address lookup and place name handling was far from perfect. You got all streets of the same name in the 'administrative area' of the place name entered (an 'administrative area' was typically a borough council, district council or unitary council area). However, the move in Navigator 3 to streets being returned from a much larger area, usually an entire county, together with quite a few places that were in the Navigator 2 database disappearing in Navigator 3, is what's upset a lot of users.

I, for one, don't just want the Navigator 2 situation back - I want the address / database problems fixed properly if at all possible.

Navigator 3 does have improvements - the maps are better, there's the itinerary feature, and TomTom Traffic (which I'm quite excited about; I do have a suitable phone, phone hands free and Pocket PC setup) will require Navigator 3. There's inevitably a few new bugs - early builds of Navigator 2 were the same, but TomTom did fix them eventually, and Navigator 2 2.24 was a very stable and successful version.

If the actual place name displayed is wrong (and it's not just the bit in brackets that's wrong), that could be because the correct place name is missing from the database - for example, Flitwick, Bedfordshire, is missing in Navigator 3, so instead you get the nearest place (Steppingley, Bedfordshire) displayed instead.

You can't have been using Navigator 2 for two years - it only came out just over a year ago.

David
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Missing Places Reply with quote

Another one for the list - Frodsham in Cheshire, The List is just getting bigger and bigger, but no repsonse from TomTom.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheshire and the North Yorkshire coast seem to be particular blackspots for the Navigator 3 database.

David
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Acording to TT3,

Carlton in Nottingham is now in Suffolk!,

First trip to British Car Auctions Nottingham since the upgrade from TT2 to TT3, suprised when it could no longer find the address, so found it manually on the map and much to my suprise the location was Carlton(Suffolk).

Really do wonder what they have done to this product

Vicky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: