Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 3 Places Not In Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 3 Places Not In Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Wrong Town Names Reply with quote

If you are coming to Wales on holiday this year be VERY, VERY careful and arm yourself with plenty of petrol and food for the children!! Thumbs Up

The popular holiday destination near Abergele on the North Wales coast has now had its named changed by TomTom to the spelling TYWYN. In fact it is TOWYN (the town that had the bad floods 5/6 years ago).

The other town TYWYN is on the West Coast of Wales and is also a holiday destination but is situated near Aberdyfi at the mouth of the Dyfi Estuary. The distance between them is about 130 miles over narrow roads. Twisted Evil

TT2 had the correst names :D

So it should take you nearly as long to travel the extra 130 extra miles to your correct destination as for me to access the PocketGPS World server to place this warning in the Forums! 8O

Regards

Nigel
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wonder whether or not you'd actually viewed the location on the screen? There are actually two Towyns and two Tywyns in Wales, and just to confuse matters, Conwy has one of each and they're only a dozen or so miles apart! The Conwy Tywyn is near Deganwy, between Llandudno and Conway (the other Tywyn is in Gwynedd) whilst the Conwy Towyn is between Abergele (as you noted) and Kinmel Bay. The other Towyn is near Cardigan (Aberteifi) in Ceredigion. It might be worth checking, if you haven't already done so, to see where on the map the Conwy Towyn points to.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

I noticed Marylebone (London W1) was displayed as Marylebone (Manchester) in Navigator 3. It's a change from Navigator 2, which displayed Marylebone (Wigan) instead.

Both Navigator 2 and Navigator 3 seem to choose the wrong county (Navigator 3) or administrative area (Navigator 2) to display against a place name much of the time - but it's only a cosmetic bug, this, unlike the other issues reported.

David
hornist
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you thought Marylebone (Manchester) was bad, then try this one.

I live in Trowbridge, Wiltshire. In the UK maps of TTN3 this seems to be fine. However if I search for Trowbridge in the MRE the only match is 'Trowbridge (Brugge)'. As far as I can tell there is no place called Trowbridge anywhere near Brugge (Bruges).

Now this is where it is really odd though...
If I search for Trowbridge, as I said I get Trowbridge (Brugge), with a selection of streets appropriate to Brugge. Then if I go to it on the map it puts me somewhere near Brugge (and obviously therefore nowhere near the real Trowbridge in Wiltshire). On the other hand if I scroll the MRE map to Trowbridge in Wiltshire and tap on a location the location details are the correct road name, with the town being listed as 'Trowbridge (Brugge)'

Wierd. Maybe...
TomTom has a vested interest in establishing twinning links between European towns.

Paul
[/list][/list]
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just emailed TT as follows:

I am really struggling with address look-up problems in Navigator 3.

1) Major towns in the UK such as Knutsford, Buxton, Sale just do not appear in the list of cities.

2) Finding a common street name is a real problem. You have to chose from a long list of identical street names within a county in order to find which one you want.

It should be possible to progressively refine the required address by entering post code (if known), then city, then street, then street number (if known).

I have a Garmin eMap and I can use this to find a street much more quickly and accurately than I can with Navigator!

3) On the 'safety' screen the location entry at the bottom is frequently wrong. It seems that Navigator matches the name of the present location with a list of place names and picks the first one.

For example, I was driving in Cambridgeshire and the location entry showed that I was at Town End in Cumbria. Presumably there is a Town End in Cambridgeshire?

On the same journey from Cambridgeshire to Hampshire I travelled through Cumbria, Stoke-on-Trent and Wales!

These problems really need to be sorted out.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice on TTN2 that the same 3 destinations are handled:-
Knutsford (Macclesfield)
Sale (Trafford)
both fine but Buxton, typed in fully then click ok comes up Buxton (Broadland) which, of course, is Norfolk. If you just type in Bux and leave it - it comes up with both places Buxton (Broadland) and Buxton (High Peak)

8O

Tom
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just wonder whether or not you'd actually viewed the location on the screen? There are actually two Towyns and two Tywyns in Wales, and just to confuse matters, Conwy has one of each and they're only a dozen or so miles apart! The Conwy Tywyn is near Deganwy, between Llandudno and Conway (the other Tywyn is in Gwynedd) whilst the Conwy Towyn is between Abergele (as you noted) and Kinmel Bay. The other Towyn is near Cardigan (Aberteifi) in Ceredigion. It might be worth checking, if you haven't already done so, to see where on the map the Conwy Towyn points to.

Thanks for the above but yes I have ckecked and I live only four miles from one (were I do my shopping) and although the area is shown on the map there is no name there or in the index. All was fine in TTN2!

Looks as though I shall have to find a new shopping area if TT have erased the town. Burn In Hell

Regards to all lost and weary souls!

Nigel
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bedworth (warwickshire) isn't there either. I haven't managed to find it yet but if some kind soul could I'd be very greatful.
tom9851
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another example of TTN3 being inferior to TTN2. Type in Bedworth tap OK and hey presto... Bedworth (Nuneaton and Bedworth) !!! and all the relevant roads. I might be a bit slow on these matters but isn't an upgrade supposed to be an improvement on the version it is upgrading? Or am I just being silly! 8O
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it works fine on my old TT2 but TT3 its gone. I, like alot of people from the looks of it are totally disapointed in this "upgrade".
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approaching A19 from west no A road link shown.
A186 has been re- routed round housing as bypass, original A186
retained but shown as white road as has bypass.
One wonders where routing will direct you.
Also major roads to east of A19 (NE27) not shown, they serve some
major business within area whilst also acting as through route.
Roads shown correctly on Philips/OS Tyne & Wear street atlas
so no reason for not appearing in TTN3 Crying or Very sad
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac wrote:
Approaching A19 from west no A road link shown.
A186 has been re- routed round housing as bypass, original A186
retained but shown as white road as has bypass.
One wonders where routing will direct you.
Also major roads to east of A19 (NE27) not shown, they serve some
major business within area whilst also acting as through route.
Roads shown correctly on Philips/OS Tyne & Wear street atlas
so no reason for not appearing in TTN3 Crying or Very sad

Just rechecked and Silverlink Road east of A19 does exist Embarassed
However given its width would have expected it to have more
prominent showing in TTN3
Also, bypass round Holystone shown on Tele Atlas online maps.
So both OS and Tele Atlas are aware of road, looks like
someone failed to give it proper rating when incorporated
into TT data Question
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now written the 'open letter' to TomTom about address lookup problems in Navigator 3 GB, mentioning also as many of the places missing from the database that as I could find and confirm in the forums this morning.

You can find it in this thread.

David
NigelJ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: More Missing Places Reply with quote

So far as North Wales is concerned TTN3 is utter RUBBISH.
So far the folloeowng towns are missing

NEWTOWN (POWYS) Not in Daterbase Not Named on the Map
BARMOUTH NOT in Datebase Not named on the Map
TYWYN in GWYNEDD on the Coast by Aberdyfi as above
TOWN near Abergelly spelt TYWYN
CARNO ( site of Laura Ashley Factory) and many other small places shown on the map not in database
Built up areas shown in pink -NO NAME.

YES Teleatlas is is at fault BUT Tom Tom should have checked the databases against previous version before isuing upgrade. NOBODY uses somebody elses program in their own before checking! Seems I and most others have wasted our money

Nigel
hmalan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an amateur with computors and GPS I have downloaded the postcode database from this site, but noting the comments about not loading if you are not really sure what you are doing decided not to put this onto my PDA. However having noted all the comments around this site on the differant threads about the problems with TT navigator 3 and locations do I,

a) reinstall TT Nav 2
b) stick with TT Nav 3 and find someone to help me load the postcodes
c) stick with 3 and do nothing else for now in the hope that TOMTOm will resolve the problem.

Any views appreciated

Regards

Alan Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: