Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 3 Places Not In Database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 3 Places Not In Database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have made a really stupid mistake in the Navigator 3 database - you get all roads matching the road name entered in the entire county of the city entered. Try "High Street" and a town in Norfolk (such as Stalham) and, if I counted correctly, you get 44 options, with the right answer nestling somewhere in the middle of the list (NR12 9). If you don't know the postcode, you potentially have a long guessing game.

I think this is so bad that it warrants a map reissue with this sorted out. I usually defend TomTom, but this is crazy, especially as it seems from Tim Buxton's post and icsys's post that this isn't a TeleAtlas limitation (SmartST Pro 2 uses TeleAtlas data).

For more details and a comparison to Navigator 2's behaviour (which I hoped was going to be improved on in Navigator 3, not made worse), see this thread.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Unfortunately, SmartST doesn't fare much better. If I put in Stalham as the area, it picks out Stalham in Norfolk straight away, although for some reason it shows two entries. I can select either of them and then put in High Street as the road and I get thirty entries, all in Norfolk, but none of them in Stalham!

Putting in the Postcode that you supplied and then High Street returns High Street, Stalham, Norfolk immediately. Perhaps it is a TeleAtlas thing.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am wishing now that I had the vomiting smiley from the CD Freaks forums in these forums. If there's full hierarchical place names 'forwards' in SmartST Pro 2 (such as High Street, Stalham, Norfolk), is it really impossible to index the TeleAtlas data the other way round (Norfolk has a town in it called Stalham, and there's one and only one High Street in Stalham)?

I hadn't realised until your post that the wonderful hierarchical names you were posting were not search results. I can see now why many SmartST Pro 1 users were upset - as that NAVTEQ based package was always very strong on finding roads (but, if I remember rightly, had some routing issues that TeleAtlas based products tend not to have).

The second Stalham may be Stalham Green - which is a distinct place just to the east of Stalham (centred on 1 degree 31'46" E, 52 degrees, 46'03" N).

David
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh bloody great. I've just forked out for TomTom and found out that it doesn't have half the flipping towns and cities in the UK on its database. I mean I can understand small places missing but SCARBOROUGH?

I'm a HGV driver and got it as a replacement for all my maps. Looks like thats another shedload of cash down the drain. Any suggestions for alternative software that actually has anything like a complete list of towns?

Fortunately I've just bought it. I WILL be asking for a refund.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know a street, you may be able to navigate to it with out the town name. Stupid I know but it sometimes works in SmartSTv2. Scarborough will be on the map so it should navigate to your location.

Incidentally Scarborough is in the SmartST database but it is by no means better than TTN3. If you read the TomTom and Navman forums you will see that each has its own errors.

I would play around with it for a while, you may find out that its not as bad as first thought once you get used to using it.
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor wrote:
Oh bloody great. I've just forked out for TomTom and found out that it doesn't have half the flipping towns and cities in the UK on its database. I mean I can understand small places missing but SCARBOROUGH?

Scarborough appears in TT2 so would assume also in TT3 mind you
have to enter name in city field
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't appear in TT3. Neither does Filey, Whitby or most of the major towns on the east coast of North Yorkshire. A bit of a problem seeing as they're all local to me.

The problem I have is that I go all over the UK. The delivery addresses you get are unbelievable so being able to expect a postcode is one hell of a request.

Honestly, I find it disgusting.

I KNEW I should've bought a laptop, GPS mouse and Autoroute 2004.

Funny how Microsoft can get it right.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conor wrote:
It doesn't appear in TT3. Neither does Filey, Whitby or most of the major towns on the east coast of North Yorkshire
Thats strange as they are all in the STv2 database and both STv2 and TTNv3 use TeleAtlas.

Perhaps other TTN3 users could verify this for you before you write it off completely?
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Lost Towns Reply with quote

Whats happening to TomTom, My first missing town was Whitby (N.Yorks) Theb Sale & Altrincham now High Wycombe. The question is can we get our money back

David
deesoft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Missing Places Reply with quote

Further to my recent posting, I have found that the village of Pickhill (100 houses) is in the TTN3 Database yet High Wycombe with thousands of houses isn't, How can we use such a flawed producy.
TomTom need to recall TTN3 and five us all refunds,

David
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell you I am puzzled by this thread. I have just looked for Buxton (Derbyshire), Scarborough (North Yorkshire) and High Wycombe (Bucks) and they all come up when I type them in the "City" box in Find...What's the problem here?

Steve
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is def something funny going on here. Try switching maps to MRE, and then looking for Scarborough or Buxton in Derby. It finds them and if u then follow through and ask to "show on Map", it takes you to the GB map detail. This must be the intergration the TT site talked about.

Now my village is in the GB "find address", but not in the MRE find location. Does this mean you have to look in both locations.....?
Confused
Steve
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: TT3 Mising Places Reply with quote

[quote="deesoft"]More missing places
Whitby (Yorkshire), Altrincham and Sale (Cheshire)
Also missing is M62 J8 whihc was opened 17 months ago

Both Altrincham and Sale are in TT3's database, what has changed is how they are listed/Found.
In TT2, Adress as house No. Street, Sale. Cheshire. Post code. Has now changed to House No. Street. Greater Manchester. Post Code.

My brother lives in Sale and TT3 has just planned the route from Fareham Hants to Sale. It appears that all the address in Altricham and Sale are now listed under Greater Manchester.

Using contacts and navigate to which worked in TT2, fails in TT3 as "Place Not Found". Changing my contacts address by removing Sale and replacing it with Greater Manchester, Navigate to worked in TT3. I suspect this applies to other small towns close to a City or Large Town. Rolling Eyes
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to sound like an idiot but how do I change to MRE? What is MRE? On the map screen I tried switch maps but there's no others installed. FYI I have the full GB map installed. Are you sure you've got ScArborough, N. Yorks and not ScOrborough, East Yorks?

If thats going to cure my problem then OK, I can work around it. Can you please give me some detailed instruction?

Just to add, I've trialled Mypopolus demo and once you've tweaked the voice announcement it is OK. AS the price is in $$ and the exchange rate is so good for us, you can get their top package for £60. It would appear that unlike TomTom, they know what updating maps means and also what customer support means as one of their reps posts regulalry in the respctive forum here.
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on...You mean Major Roads of Europe?

WHAT?????????????????????

So I have to install coverage for a dozen countries just so I can get the missing town names in my own?

Oh great. Only got 128MB SD card. Looks like its MORE money to fork out.

So..a 256MB card is nearly the price of Mapopolis. Which do I go for?

I'll be perfectly honest and say that as a first timer, I'm going to find it very hard to recommend this way of satnav to anyone. My God people, this is a mess. I've not had to fanny around with software like this since I last used Linux but at least with Linux all it cost me was my time and not another £30 then another.

As for the reviews, they're obviously not worth the paper they're written on.

I've already submitted a support request to TomTom and have just updated it with this new found information about map switching so we'll see what the outcome is. THey're well aware I've trialled other options and of my whole view on the thing - politely. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: