Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2009.1 (Buy New vs Map Updates)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2009.1 (Buy New vs Map Updates)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: 2009.1 (Buy New vs Map Updates) Reply with quote

Thread edited by MaFt to remove piracy references.

Burn180 wrote:
I've just been on the Garmin site and see the Garmin Europe 2009.1 update is out. I think the prices for these updates is far to much, especially since they plan on four updates a year.

Did you consider a map subscription? It's about the cost of two single map updates but will give you every quarterly release from now on for the life of your device. Potentially the cheapest map updates available from any manufacturer.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Did you consider a map subscription? It's about the cost of two single map updates but will give you every quarterly release from now on for the life of your device. Potentially the cheapest map updates available from any manufacturer.

do you work for garmin or something...How can you defend rip off price of old map upgrades when the unit will be worthless in a few years...

buy it - use -it - throw it away - or sell it - and buy the latest unit - far cheaper.

don't get sucked in to this update rip off. just think for a minute how often do your most popular routes change........I rest my case Rolling Eyes
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many TomTom users see a benefit from a yearly map subscription. Many Garmin users feel the same. Not for everyone, of course. But many users keep their pnd's for several years. Map subscriptions are an economical way to extend the life of the device. A new buyer of a nuvi 255 in the US could have a total investment of $270 including the lifetime map updates. That would appeal to many new buyers rather than getting a new Garmin or TomTom in a year or two simply because the map was out of date. Keeping your nuvi for just two years would end up being $15 for each map update. 3 years and it's only $10 each. Seems pretty reasonable IMO.
Your suggestion buy new every couple of years would cost much more than that.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so... has anyone got this update yet? are there any actual improvement? does it worth to bother to get it?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question highlights a big benefit of a lifetime subscription. Whether this particular update shows significant changes for your area of travel becomes less of an issue. Over the next few updates the chances of seeing welcome changes in maps for your area improves significantly. But depending on any single update from any supplier to be "worthwhile" can be a crapshoot. I'd take my chances on one flat price for lifetime than any single update to get value for my money if I intend to keep my device more than a year or so.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the reason they have the map viewer feature on garmin's website.. so you can confirm that your map will have all the details you need before you buy it. I just checked the map viewer but im not sure if its the 2009 version or they update it to 2009.1
I didnt find any changes... Can someone that already has 2009.1 and spotted some changes, confirm that the map viewer on the website is still the old one?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Map Update Reply with quote

The map viewer shows the older version than the current map update (2009 v 2009.1)

The were noticable improvements locally for me with the 2009.1 update with many recently completed road changes in place

If you use you sat nav daily, then £99 for unlimited renews makes sense - for infrequent use, maps usually stay relevant for 2 years or so
madmick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new maps are nothing more than a money making scam, I went home to Ireland last year after updating my Nuvi with the new 2008 update. I drove on roads which were completed 2 years prior to this visit, however my unit still thought I was driving through a field, if I heard "recalculating" once on my journey I heard it a hundred times. But what me off more than that Garmin expect you to know the exact longtitude and latitude, road name and area for them to put the mistake right.

Why not ask us to go out and redraw the maps ourselves
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin themselves cannot make any map changes. Better to report the error or omission directly to Navteq, the supplier of the maps.

http://mapreporter.navteq.com/dur-web-external/secured/submitDur.do?userType=CONSUMER

@MadMick. If you are using City Navigator 2008 maps, those are two years old. Last years release (for 2008) was named CNNT2009, based on 3rd quarter 2007 Navteq release. I know, it's confusing. The current map is 2009.1x, based on Navteq 3rd quarter 08. At least the naming convention makes a bit more sense now.

Last edited by gatorguy6996 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you give a link to the Garmin map viewer please. I cant find it Sad
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get a copy of 2009.1 on my hands... There are some changes, but nothing significant I believe. I think garmin should give them for free to users that have a registered device with 2009 maps. It makes more sense and I think its more fair to allow updates for a product that the customer has already paid.
I can uderstand charging for a new product like maps 2010 but updates should be free

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: