Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help buying new TT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help buying new TT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antmakka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Help buying new TT Reply with quote

I intend to buy a new TT, probably 930T, but have a few questions...

I play music from my iPod through an RF transmitter to my radio, will this be a problem with voice directions from the 930T? My radio is not BT compatible and i don't believe the 930T has a speaker in the unit.

I don't intend to subscribe to any subscription services so can I assume it's not worth looking at the 940T?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 930T does indeed have a built in speaker so you an use that for the spoken instructions/ camera warnings etc. If you have no intention of paying for the Live services than there is no point looking at the x40 range.

One other thing to consider though is putting all your music into mp3 format, then put it all on a large capacity SD card, put the card in the TomTom 930 and let that play the music via its built in FM Transmitter.

Or depending upon your iPOD type there is a lead that can control your iPOD from the TomTom, this uses the same connector as the traffic receiver though so its not a very clever idea! - Mike
antmakka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, that's just the info I was looking for.

Is the traffic a subscription service? If not, then it won't be a problem using that lead you mentioned to connect the iPod to the unit and control my music that way.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS-TMC is free to use with the receiver, there are two types of RDS-TMC receiver though, the first type uses the iPOD/ RDS-TMC connector port on the device, the second type uses a mini USB connector which is where the power lead plugs in.
This newer mini USB style RDS-TMC receiver frees up the iPOD connector on the device and will allow you to use the free RDS-TMC and the iPOD lead at the same time.

Your problem is the 930T is most probably supplied with the iPOD type connector fitted, your best bet might be to to sell the supplied RDS-TMC receiver and purchase the mini USB equipped device, this way you get the best of both worlds - bear in mind the iPOD lead for the TomTom cannot power your iPOD though which can be a problem on those loger drives - Mike
antmakka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: brilliant Reply with quote

Mike, you're a star. Thanks for answering my questions and doing it so quickly as well. Looks like I'm going for the 930T.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: