Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Freezing problem on 760 after upgrade to software v3.10
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Freezing problem on 760 after upgrade to software v3.10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Freezing problem on 760 after upgrade to software v3.10 Reply with quote

I have had my 760 for 3 months and had no problems with it. Yesterday, 2/8/08 I upgraded the software to v3.10 and since then I have had problem with the screen freezing, requiring power off to overcome it. Is this a common problem and is there a fix available?
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Freezing problem on 760 after upgrade to software v3.10 Reply with quote

Dabri wrote:
I upgraded the software to v3.10 and since then I have had problem with the screen freezing, requiring power off to overcome it. Is this a common problem and is there a fix available?

Yes ... the problem is fixed in the previous version. V3.00 is available here.

How are you enjoying being a Garmin software tester? Confused
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil,

The logic of a previous version overcoming a later glitch quite defeats me.
I was quite neutral about it until the other day.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also discussed here

It one of the things i'm writing to Garmin about later this week - i've finally had enough of my 760 and wish i hdn't bought it. I loved my i3 but the maps and software on the 760 is appalling.
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Also discussed here

Yes, sorry Paul - I've been on hols for a fortnight and hadn't noticed that thread.

and he wrote:
I've finally had enough of my 760 and wish I hadn't bought it.

Although I can pick all kinds of faults with the 760, I was actually really impressed with its performance in Florida. Driving on roads I didn't know at all, it delivered us safe and sound to every destination I asked it to. This included the Alamo rental car return, which I considered a minor miracle having tangled with it before!

(The Track log recorded the exact location of my too-close-for-comfort encounter with an Alligator! and I now know that the Disney monorail travels at 39mph...)

My main gripe remains the size of the thing - if you put it in your back pocket, in its case, you can't sit down!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just drafted a 4 and a bit page letter to Garmins Customer Support. Basically comparing the 2 years i owned an i3 Laughing to the 5 months I've owned the 760T Mad .

It includes how i only found 3-4 map errors on the i3 (v8 maps) but within 2 weeks of owning the 760T I'd been routed down one way streets the wrong way several times, through gated private communities with no through access and into a pub car park and out through a 20+ year old wall...... Shocked

Also complained that with the TMC signal being so weak was a wire antenna good enough? I know the signal is not their fault but if they sell an antenna it must be fit for the job.....

Also that Garmin support takes ages to answer a question, they ask for details that were provided in the previous message further down the page, ignores the contents of all previous correspondence and when stumped suggests a "Master Reset", or installing the latest firmware which I've already told them is installed.

Oh and the time they started sending me the responses to someone else's tickets.

Plus the problems with the Bluetooth "Phone Home" bug and the "Phone Disconnected" bug

But really the final straw was the Firmware 3.10 bug.......

So we'll see what they have to say.....

I've been very defencive of Garmin in the past over these matters...... No more.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(The Track log recorded the exact location of my too-close-for-comfort encounter with an Alligator! and I now know that the Disney monorail travels at 39mph...)

Laughing I took mine to Lake Garda last month with the intention of doing simalar. Even bought the proper Garmin mains lead kit with inter-changable UK / Europe / US heads. Took the Nuvi, took the European head but forgot the lead!! Left it plugged in here.... Battery lasted from the airport to the hotel and another hour or so....
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Laughing I took mine to Lake Garda last month with the intention of doing similar.

If you'd tracked down one of those "Lake Garda Alligators", you'd have made a fortune Very Happy

and he wrote:
Battery lasted from the airport to the hotel and another hour or so....
I switched the bluetooth off and set the brightness to minimum. I was astonished that it did nigh on 7 hours in that state!

However, under the glare of the Florida sun, it was exceedingly difficult to see enough of the screen to increase the brightness again afterwards.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you'd tracked down one of those "Lake Garda Alligators", you'd have made a fortune

I did see one, but it was late, dark and i'd been drinking a lot.... Plastic and inflatable aren't they?

Quote:
I switched the bluetooth off and set the brightness to minimum. I was astonished that it did nigh on 7 hours in that state!

Ah. I had the Bluetooth off but the coach journey was 3 hours or so... (2/3 way round the Lake) Still i got the Hotel recorded for the next time we go as i fancy driving next time...
RLFansKosh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also getting the screen freeze problem on my 760T following the upgrade to V3.10 firmware, but interestingly ONLY when the map screen is displayed when NOT routing. I have done two or three long routes in the last few days without a single screen freeze, but if not routing the map screen freezes between 2 and 10 minutes every time.

No screen freezes happen if I have a non-map screen displayed.

I've also noticed the freeze happens only when the screen is zoomed in (below 30mph) and never seems to happen when zoomed out (above 60mph). I guess this indicates the fault is either with the auto-zoom function or, as previously speculated, with the POI which are only displayed when zoomed in.

At the moment I am resisting the temptation to downgrade to V3.00 in the hope that Garmin will roll out a fix in the near future...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just re-upgraded to Firmware 3.10 for the xth time and now none of the usual suspect routes is causing a problem....

(and again literally as i typed that it switched off......)

Back to 3.00......
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way has any one else reported this problem to Garmin at all?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RLFansKosh wrote:
I'm also getting the screen freeze problem on my 760T following the upgrade to V3.10 firmware, but interestingly ONLY when the map screen is displayed when NOT routing. I have done two or three long routes in the last few days without a single screen freeze, but if not routing the map screen freezes between 2 and 10 minutes every time.

No screen freezes happen if I have a non-map screen displayed.

I thought I'd just chip in with this, as Paul mentioned the i3.

This is exactly the behaviour I used to encounter with my i3 with firmware upgrades post 2.90 (I think, or may have been 3.00 onwards) ie the unit would freeze, just displaying the map, as opposed to performing an actual route or on one of the menus. I used to find that I either had to not use the map display only (ie no current route), or let it fully acquire and calculate the route before moving off. Where the i3 was concerned, none of this seemed to happen with 2.70 firmware (or the 2.82 beta, or for that matter, firmware pre 2.70).
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this problem is very different to the problem with the i3 and Firmwares above 2.70. Confused

The problem I had with the i3 is that it would preform ok until i got to certain points on the map when the main part of the screen displaying the map would freeze. The i3 would continue to give audio directions and the information at the top (next turn or next road name) and bottom of the screen (ETA and Distance to turn, or Speed and Compass Heading) would continue to update accurately. A minute or 3 down the road and the map would snap back to life again.

With the 760T the freeze is a total lock of the unit when on power. On battery it freezes and the back light goes out - you can see the last image on screen very fiently....
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
With the 760T the freeze is a total lock of the unit when on power. On battery it freezes and the back light goes out - you can see the last image on screen very fiently....

I know you've found it different, but from what you've described of your 760. it's sounding exactly like I encountered with my i3 (and from threads I read here, for some others, too) with firmware later than 2.82.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: