Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Purchase of HD Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase of HD Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that they came up with this stock response of "oh, just use anonymous" when the servers weren't ready as it was getting people going. But we are close to the end of initial trials, and it is about time they got the core problem sorted.

I did consider using another email address, but that is the only one that makes any sense to me, and to add another will probably cost real money (each address costs in the spam filter company). I should be able to do all this!
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I did this was
- Created account on the tomtom website
- Powered on gps and got a fix and hd traffic as anonymous
- Connected to home and paired gps with account
- Added username within the tomtom services menu, letting the device pair with the services. This gave me a 3 month subscription against my name
- Subscribed in home
- Device automatically shows extended subscription (currently until this June)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get rid of an account or use a old email address on it so you can use your main email address on the new account do the following.

Log on to the TomTom website using the old email address and password.

Go into the account management section and change the email address on this account to something less important and save etc.

Either from within Home or on the website create a new account with the email address you want to use.

The old account will still work with the lesser email address you changed it to.

The new account is a new account with your preferred email address.

Any existing subscribed services will stay on the old account.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to think about doing that, apart from having signed up under the current account. It seems such a pity to lose the years of history in the current account though!
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've just posted in my support request, further changes have occurred, possibly by actions at TomTom. The device will now show that I have HD traffic enabled until 13/4/2009 (and the other services) in my account. So obviously that part is enabled.

However, if I ask for the weather at home, it says that this content was bought for another device and cannot be used. Likewise traffic is not working.

But, if I connect to home and operate it, the traffic is working, and I can get the weather.

Finally, I disconnected again, and went through the My Account setting, and it said that the content was bought for another device, and after that any attempt to access a service gets "an error occurred on the TomTom server. Please try again."

So, progress, but not working disconnected.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the opposite, my works fine from the device but from within Home I get the error messages. I assumed that was because the TT Servers wanted to see the SIM and not Home.

Did you set up your device from within Home rather than set it up standalone? I have often thought that it behaves like a baby duck and thinks that the first thing it sees is its mother, in the TT x40 range that is Home or SIM comms.

I have no proof of this but from reading many posts on similar issues it does appear that the devices set up the first time when connected to Home have the problems.

I suspect this is because Home emulates the SIM but not your specific SIM so the TT Servers expect your account to connect from the emulated SIM rather than the real one. If you go into your network settings whilst in Home and the from the device you will see different SIM IDs.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. Surely they'd key it to the device, not the SIM. But...

Anyway, I've just been told again that I need to reset to factory settings and reboot to activate the trial. Sob.
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To conclude this, I hope, I spent about a week going round various options with first line support. I then got put into research mode while second line support checked things, who came back and saying they couldn't find anything wrong. I then was asked to send the info from Help About in Home, which was passed on to second line support again. About a day or two later, the device accepted the account without error, and all started working again. However, I've not actually had a response from TomTom since I updated my case to tell them it was working.

But anyway, it appears that you can get HD traffic working on an account that was used with a 910 and old traffic, somehow. Just expect to reset to factory settings far more often than is sensible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: