Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My 540 Live has been stolen, anything I can do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My 540 Live has been stolen, anything I can do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prl100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: My 540 Live has been stolen, anything I can do? Reply with quote

So I stupidly left my Go 540 Live in my car on Thursday and paid for my stupidity with a smashed window and no sat-nav. The thief even ripped out my pro-clip fitting (which will not be much use to those not owning a ford focus) and the charger cable. Thankfully they did not damage my dash-board doing this.

I was just wondering, is it possible to bar the unit like you can with a mobile phone? It has an IMEI number and a SIM card so it must be possible in theory?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Paul
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give TomTom a ring on Monday morning as they should be able to kill the sim but not the device - the number is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear that ,hope you get yourself another via insurance
prl100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys. I did call Tomtom yesterday but they basically said there is nothing they can do.

The original box does not have a serial number at all, Tomtom do not apparently keep records of the IMEI or SIM numbers and they also have no procedure in place for barring the device. This is quite poor really.

I would advise anyone with a LIVE unit to record somewhere the IMEI number and SIM numbers so you can block them manually if this happens to you.

Paul
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely they have the device details against your TomTom account? What is to stop the thief from using the renew subscription button on the device and charge your card?

I'd push TomTom harder I think. Or perhaps someone in the media should pick this up. They have the information, and they should use it.
prl100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:
Surely they have the device details against your TomTom account? What is to stop the thief from using the renew subscription button on the device and charge your card?

I'd push TomTom harder I think. Or perhaps someone in the media should pick this up. They have the information, and they should use it.

What they actually said was that unless they have written to me stating or asking for the details, they won't have them. The operator checked against my email address and said they did not have the details.

I have never continued my subscription to LIVE services past the free 3 months as times are a little bit hard at the moment and I can do without them. So really not a good time for me to have my car broken into.

I actually work for a mobile phone network so I know that they keep details every time a device connects to the network, Tomtom say they do not have even the IMEI number though so there is nothing for me to start with.

Maybe I'll call again in the morning and press them a bit further, but the operator did say that they do not have any procedure for when a GPS is stolen. Quite disappointing really.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a back up of the device still available on your PC? - if so have a look in the folder named "SIMCARD" you should find a file called "Mobility" open this using Note Pad and you will find out the device serial number, IMEI and some other information - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: