Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Confused re W Europe on GO 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused re W Europe on GO 520
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Confused re W Europe on GO 520 Reply with quote

Got a new (well refurb) TT Go 520 today and when I connected via TT Home one of the updates it downloaded for me was map of W Europe (945Mb) which I wasn't expecting.
Wouldn't fit on internal memory so inserted SD card and it happily 'installed' on this. When I try and use it however it asks for an activation code which is strange 'cause I didn't think there was such a thing on x20 devices.
Given that id downloaded it without any problem why is it asking for activation and can it in fact be activated? I'm confused!
TFYH
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if dl and running the Clear Flash tool found here while the unit is connected to the computer helps.
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will give it a go but what I read about it seemed to imply it was for solving activation probs on x10 devices. I thought x20 devices didn't need activation - I don't have an activation code nor even a product code come to that.
If I try and switch to that map it does ask me for an activation code but I thought x20s didn't use them any more. Is this not correct?
Either way I'll give the tool a try (be tomorrow now as getting late in UK) and report back.
TFYH
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know which map version it is.

Can you open the map folder in Windows Explorer?

If so, find the .pna file that is named for your map (Western_Europe.pna or something similar) and open it in Notepad. What does it say?
Samsung Galaxy S21
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you try an install an older map (all 6.xx and some 7.xx) even on the later units such as the Go530 it will ask for an activation code. I took one of my old French maps off the PDA and it worked on the Go530 after activation.

What happens when you try and activate the map? Usually you will be asked if you want automatic or manual activation? Try automatic and see if that works. If it doesn't you can try a manual but you do need a product code and on a download in Home I am not sure where you will get that from. Go to www.ttcode.com and enter your details and it will give you an activation code. This site also explains activation a bit better than this.

You may have a bug or the unit before a refurb may have once had a WE map purchased for it. This is only a guess.
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita,
Can open map folder and it contains the following:

ID=Western_Europe.pna
build=1409
id=79927

Assume this means version is 675 and hence needs activation but how?

MrT
If I try and activate it just asks for a code - no choice between auto and manual. Tried going to ttcode but it asks for stuff (like product code) that I just don't have. Perhaps you're right & the unit did once have a pukka WE map bought for it. Am Ilikely to get a good response from an email to TomTom support do you think?

Thanks for both your replies.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redddevil wrote:
Anita,
Can open map folder and it contains the following:

ID=Western_Europe.pna
build=1409
id=79927

Assume this means version is 675 and hence needs activation but how?

I believe the latest Western Europe map is version 815, so it looks as if you've downloaded an old map. I don't know if it's connected, but there were reports of Home offering people maps that were older than those already in use, but as far as I know they were always "downdates" of maps they already had.

You haven't been sent a refurbished 720 by mistake, have you? If you tap the satellite bars, then the version number, what does it say in the top left of the screen?
Samsung Galaxy S21
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a 520 - both screen and label on base say so.
I guess the real mystery is why it ever offered me the map in the 1st place.
Perhaps it is a 'previous owner' thing.
I'll email TT support and see what they have to say - maybe they'll give me an activation key! Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than a "previous owner thing", could it be that you had a previous device on the same TomTom account name?

If someone previously bought a map for that device, I suppose Home may still try to download it, but usually it tries to download maps for old models that *you* had (that's what it does to me - it keeps trying to give me a v6 map from an old Go300 I had ages ago.

The main thing though, is you really don't want that map. It's very old.
and if you ask TT about how to get an activation code for it, they will probably realise it was a mistake.

You SHOULD be able to use the "Latest Map Guarantee" to get the latest v815 UK map though.
To access that you use the "Tools" menu at the top of the Home screen rather then the "Update" or "Add maps" buttons (confusing eh?)
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P,
I think you may be right. I logged in with the TT account that I have for Navigator 6 on my old Dell Axim X50v which did have WE maps.
Unfortunately I think your conclusion at the end is incorrect 'cause the latest map guarantee will presumably only apply to the map that comes with the 520 which is only a UK and ROI map (which it did successfully update).
Much as I'd like to I don't think they'll let me xfr the map I bought for the PDA to the 520 and then get a free update to the latest version!!
Not to worry - I have at least got what I paid for just not the bonus it looked like I might have. Sad
Thanks for all answers.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To avoid all sorts of confusion, it is important you use a different email address/account for the new Go.

It gets even more messy if you have any "paid-for" services (like the Map subscription service for example), but even just for single map updates you can see how easily it goes wrong.
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like good advice but am I too late?
How can I change the account now that it knows this device is part of it?
Obviously I could uninstall and reinstall TT home but presumably it still knows about the 520 'cause otherwise how would they limit my latest update guarantee to 30 days?
TFYH
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a way to see which device was assigned to a particular account on the TT website, but I don't think it is there any more.
My guess is that if you are still getting the maps for the old PDA, then that is still assigned to the account.

If you don't want it to be... then you should be able to SWITCH the account to the new Go, but that often seems to go wrong and TT have to try to sort it out manually.

By far the easiest way is to start from scratch making a new account for the Go and see if it works OK. If not, then you'll have to ring them up and ask them to sort it out.
Reinstalling Home won't help at all. It is what they have got you logged as on their servers at TomTom Towers that matters.
redddevil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I thought I'd need to reinstall home was that it doesn't currently ask me to log in but just auto-connects so presumably has stored my TT a/c details somewhere which hopefully would get zapped if I uninstalled it thus allowing me to set up a different one.
I'll have a try - probably tomorrow now - and report back.
TFYH
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a setting in Home for your email address. Change to the new one there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: