Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 traffic data and GPRS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 traffic data and GPRS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: TT3 traffic data and GPRS Reply with quote

I have had my Ipaq 2210 and TT2 for about 6 months now. I have the wired version of TT2 not the bluetooth version, my question is with the new TT3 and TomTom traffic and needing a GPRS connection, what exactly does that mean?

I have a Nokia 6310i which has a bluetooth function. In anticipation of possibly using the new traffic data I have paired the phone with the 2210, however, I suspect that I need to do something more to get the traffic part.

Do I need to be able to connect to the internet? or will just pairing the phone that has GPRS facility be enough ?

Howard
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the iPAQ needs a connection to the Internet. This is what your phone is providing via its GPRS connection. After you paired the phone you don't need to do anything on it any more - the iPAQ can now dial the GPRS connection on it's own (of course the phone needs to be switched on). Careful though - you will have to watch the cost of data transfer.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that Lutz

I actually tried to connect to the internet via the phone and it wouldnt actually work. Does that mean that the pda wouldnt be connected either?

I get a connection box asking me for a user name and password. Plus in reading some stuff online I have to put another number in front of my own which starts *99*** and this where it got confusing I think there should be a number which might be either 1 2 or 3 followed by my own number. I am going to ring T mobile tomorrow morning and ask them as its their phone.

Howard
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the PDA you should not have to set much up.

Establish the bluetooth partnership between the phone and the PDA.

In the pda bluetooth manager, click on dial up networking for your phone. It will come up with another window asking what connection you want to use or a new connection. Select the new connection and enter the details you need or edit an existing one.

All you should really need other than the defaults is the dial up networking number, but this depends a lot on your phone. The dial-up number should be either *99# for the default GPRS connection in your phone or *99***CID# where CID represents the CID number of the GPRS connection in your phone. (1 is the default and hence you don't normally need the CID setting for this).

Again this depends on your provider, phone and PDA, but it can do no harm to have it in both, you may need to enter your DNS server addresses in your PDA. T-mobile use dynamic DNS addresses so there should be nothing to enter. Orange, 02 and Vodaphone use static DNS.

You may need to enter you username and password for mobile internet access in your PDA connection settings if your phone does not insert these for you. You certainly need to do so using the 6310.

Your phone GPRS settings should be set up the the APN, and often also username and password for your provider. For T-Mobile this is APN = "general.t-mobile.uk", username = "user" and password = "wap" although I would recommend ensuring that these are the correct settings for your account.

On the 6310i the menu for the APN is: MENU - SETTINGS - GPRS MODEM SETTINGS - SELECT ACTIVE ACCESS POINT. Once selected you can edit it at MENU - SETTINGS - GPRS MODEM SETTINGS - EDIT ACTIVE ACCESS POINT = "general.t-mobile.uk". Normally the position in the list corresponds to the CID number so Active Access Point 1 is CID=1. However some phones do set the active access point to the default of CID=1, so the position in the list is not always an accurate guide. You cannot put your username and password in here on the 6310, so they will need to go on the PDAs connection settings.

You might as well set up your WAP settings on the phone as well so you can browse from the phone. For the 6310 and T-mobile the menu path is: MENU - SERVICES - SETTINGS - EDIT ACTIVE SERVICE SETTINGS. Then name = what you like, homepage = http://wap.t-mobile.co.uk, session mode = permanent, connection security = off, data bearer = GPRS, GPRS connection = always online, gprs access point = general.t-mobile.uk, IP address = 142.254.211.010, authentication type = normal, login type = automatic, username = user, password = wap.

You must make sure you mobile provider has given you mobile internet access as compared to WAP GPRS internet access. Most PAYG services only offer WAP GPRS. With WAP GPRS you can connect from the phone, but not from an connected PDA. You may need to ask your provider to enable mobile internet access.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for that Mr T

Its much appreciated. I shall go and try and sort that out.

Howard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: