Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Elevation data in Pocket Nav
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Elevation data in Pocket Nav

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GJCardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Elevation data in Pocket Nav Reply with quote

Hello, just got my first GPS PDA, an Asus A696 which is working well. Running Memory Map 5. Took a while to get all the settings right, but everything is running ok. The GPS is on NMEA, COM 5, Baud 4800

It is connected to the PC through GPSGate. All is functioning well apart from the elevation profile not showing on the pocket PC. The elevation graph is just blank. When exporting tracks back to the PC, the elevation profile is also missing.

I am using UK OS Maps 1:25,000 with Landranger 1:50,000 elevation data. Is there a way to import .qed files to a PDA? Was wondering if the .qed file needs to be the same file as the map file, and added manually?

Have done an extensive search on this, and found nothing, hoping very much that this forum can help!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1:25K mapping comes with it's own .qed file. You can't use the 1:50k .qed with a 1:25k .qct (and vice-versa)

If you are getting profiles and height data on your PC then something is going wrong during the transfer. You should use ActiveSync (or it's Vista replacement) for doing this with MemoryMap (I don't use Vista and if I recall correctly there are some postings about issues.

You can 'manually' copy the .qct and .qed files to the PDA (this is what I do).
GJCardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I do have some 1:25,000 qed's for some maps, but the Landranger elevation DOES work on the PC with the other maps.

I use XP. Activesync is working ok. How would you recommend opening the data? I've copied the .qed to the same directory as the maps on the PDA (Same filename, different extension - these are for the 1:25,000 ones with corresponding files). Should memory map load them automatically when I load that map? Because you can't open the .qed independently, and you can't open the .qed files within memory map on the pocket PC? When I opened the map file, the data still wasn't there.

Thanks
GJCardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved - names weren't exact. Found if you rename landranger data as the map in question, it works. If you click on an adjacent map, then click open map on the menu, the elevation data will open for that map too (as it covers a large area)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: