Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap - Faulty on delivery?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap - Faulty on delivery?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Satmap - Faulty on delivery? Reply with quote

Hi,

After reading many good reports off the SATMAP on this forum I finally decided to buy one.

The SATMAP was delivered yesterday (13/1/09) and after unpacking it the first thing I did was update the firmware to v1.3

On switching on and positioning myself in the middle of a large field the unit took 22 minutes to establish satellite lock. I was a bit concerned about the length of time it look but am aware that there is a lot of data transmitted from the satellites initially. I then switched the unit off and got ready for a walk. Five minutes later I again switched the unit on and this time it took 7 minutes to obtain lock. I was now more concerned as I was again in the middle of a field with a clear view of the sky in all directions. The unit held lock for the next two hours and performed as expected.

This morning, twelve hours after last using it, the SATMAP took 18 minutes to lock; again with me stationary in the middle of the same field. I doubt it would ever lock if I was in a built up area.

Do I have a faulty unit? SATMAP seem to think so and have asked me to send it to them for replacement.

At the moment I am more inclined to ask for a refund. My Garmin Vista HCx always locks within 40 seconds in the same field and is supposed to have an inferior chipset.

Can I ask users how long their units take to lock? I would think anything longer than 3 minutes or so is unacceptable. Even at my advanced age it doesn’t take me 18 minutes to get my boots on!
johntw669
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
Well mine's never taken anything like 3 minutes outside to achieve lock.
It's usually less than 1 minute (it takes longer indoors).
John W
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johntw669 wrote:
Hi Dave,
Well mine's never taken anything like 3 minutes outside to achieve lock.
It's usually less than 1 minute (it takes longer indoors).
John W

Thanks John. I'll send it to Satmap for replacement. They have given me a Freepost - Special Delivery address.

Still a bit annoying though.

Dave
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used mine for over a year now and have never really had any problems with getting a signal in open areas. I tend to turn mine on 50-150 miles away from where I last turned it off with a signal obtained by the time the map title page has loaded.....once in a while I have managed to cycle 2 or 3 miles (turned on for the first time of the day in Cheltenham) before it has found a signal but not something I've worried about.....maybe as I turn it on whilst on the move.
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the latest Garmin and Tomtom units can take a long time to lock if you are on the move. I've always found it best to obtain lock before moving.

I'm pretty sure the Satmap is faulty as "the field" is 125 metres asl on top of a hill in the North Downs and it couldn't have a better view of the sky.
terry8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave I like you had mine delivered Tues am. It took 6 mins for the initial lock on, and approx 3 mins thereafter and that is indoors. You have certainly got a faulty one unfortunately. Used mine extensively today and they are certainly the "mutts nuts"

Terry
rickwiggans
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's 3 or 4 minutes generally. I fairly reliably get a fix in 5 minutes even inside my office, so generally I'm very pleased with the unit. Not quite as snappy as my Garmin units, but far superior in most other aspects.

Rick
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have occasionally found that the red "no satellites" cross has been visible for a while if I inadvertently start the unit showing the Planning screen.

If I then change to the Map screen it immediately shows a satellite lock as if it has been there all the time.

Whether this is intentional or not I don't know.

Ian
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just had this response from Satmap. I don't know what it means but I have returned it for tuning!

----------------------------------

Hi David,

If your unit is faulty we will quite happily replace it, however I very much doubt that it is faulty, the antenna just needs tuning, this happens in about 2 of 50 new units. It is because they are made in China and are tested on “artificial” UK signals.

Many thanks,

Lewis Price

-------------------------------

If the unit has to be returned for "tuning" then I think most people would regard the unit as "faulty"

If 4% of units need to be returned for "tuning" then they need to improve their testing/quality control.

Dave
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be shot down in flames for this,but wouldn't Chinese GPS signals be much the same as UK ones,so if they were using "artificial" signals produced,I presume,from some sort of signal generator wouldn't Chinese and UK signals be the same ?

Ian
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may well be tested on simulated GPS signals but a GPS signal is a GPS signal so the reference to 'UK Signals' is just BS!
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they are really saying is that their final testing is lousy.

All GPSs should work equally well wherever they are located in the world provided they have an unobstructed view of the satellites. You all appear to have a better understanding of GPS technology than Satmap.

I have no doubt that the antenna may require some tuning but it will be the same wherever in the world the GPS is located. I suspect that a lot of Satmaps out there could perform a lot better if they were properly tuned.

Dave
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it be tuned with a hammer?
Dave_the_Hiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thing Satmap the company need tuning with the hammer!
mooza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Same thing Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I've had exactly the same experience as you. Similar sorts of lock times. I returned it to the seller for a refund, but they're playing silly insisting there's no problem with it. I contacted Satmap who sent me a response of the "wow that sounds really strange" kind, and tried to suggest I was holding it wrong, when the web seems to be full of complaints like this. They obviously know there's a problem with the device.

Let us know how you get on with the replaced device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: