Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap: Firmware 1.300 Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap: Firmware 1.300 Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheeseMeister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Chrome has a built in spell check with MS Word style underlining of words which strangely doesn't recognise 'Google'.

If you're using IE, type 'ieSpell' into a search engine.

Kev.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CheeseMeister.

I have installed ieSpell as suggested. Expect to see an improvement in the spelling of my posts. Except for when I post from my PDA.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpeej wrote:
Quote:
if you have the auto screen to switch off say every 1 minute, when screen goes down you have to push power button and unlock to enable backlight to come on.

Absolutely agree. I have just found this out while out on my bike with 1.3 for the first time.

This definitely needs fixing

Peter

Sorry if I'm being a bit slow off the mark, but why does it need fixing? I'm taking it out for a walk this afternoon, but I'm curious to know how you think it should operate.
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locking the buttons is useful when you want to follow a route without the danger of accidentally pressing a button when its in your pocket.

However, what happens now is that when the screen blanks you cant get the screen back without unlocking it first which is a real nuisance.

I think the screen should come back on when a button is pressed - or at least when the backlight button is pressed.

I suyppose it all depends on what you expect the lock buttons function to
do. A complete lock down which is what you currently get is not particularly useful

Peter
CheeseMeister
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, after about 4 sec, the unlock screen goes away and leaves the map up with the keylock still active until the screen times out again.

Kev.
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drpeej wrote:

I suyppose it all depends on what you expect the lock buttons function to
do. A complete lock down which is what you currently get is not particularly useful

Peter

I think you've put your finger on the button there, Peter. (Couldn't resist.) It's about what you want from the unit.

With auto screen off you can bring the unit back to life at the touch of a button. With the button lock on you can see the screen but 'rough handling' of the unit ie inadvertant button presses, won't change the screen display.

Combining the functions means whilst the unit's stuffed in your pocket the screen can't be accidentally activated with an inadvertant button press, yet the unit's still tracking your position. This afternoon I found it no problem to press the power button to unlock it. If you don't press 'yes' to unlock (maybe the power button gets unintentionally pressed whilst the A10 is still tucked away), the screen activates but then of course switches off again eventually after the time interval you've preset for auto screen off. Neat.
Sukawe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Do I upgrade to 1.3 or contact satmap direct? Reply with quote

Ok, My first time on the forum, but have been reading regularly and learnt a lot - thank you!
Learnt so much that I have finally been out and bought my Active 10!
Have literally just switched it on, and I am where I should be - a good start!
My question is: I have checked which model I have - 1.200. Before I start to learn all about it I decided I would upgrade to 1.3 first, but I seem to be too dense to find out if this is a model I can upgrade online with or one I need to contact Satmap direct.

It looks like several of you have the same model and have upgraded, but I would just like to know for definate before I go ahead.
Cheers.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine upgrading to the newer 1,3 release from the version you are currently using.

Welcome to the forum - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine upgrading to the newer 1,3 release from the version you are currently using.

Welcome to the forum - Mike
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sukawe,

Welcome to the forum.

There is only one "model" of the SatMap and that is the Active 10.

As you have the 1.2 software/firmware you need to upgrade to version 1.3.

This is available here on the SatMap site.

http://www.satmap.com/software.php

The software is easy ti install just follow the instructions on the download page.

If you register your handset you will be notified of future upgrades.

Ian
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

The Satmap website only flags an issue if upgrading from a version older than 1.16, so you should be OK.[url] http://www.satmap.com/software.php[/url]

If you read the release notes on the website and the change log these will fill some of the gaps between the 1.3 firmware and the 1.2 user manual. The online manual is 1.2 as well.
Sukawe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for such quick replies.
Apologies for calling it a Model not Software - I knew what I meant!
I am off to start upgrading - thank you again.
barny_100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Cotswold Outdoors finally delivered my Satmap this week and I was out on Wednesday for a little 6/7 mile loop in the White Peaks to test it out.

It was fantastic to create a route on wheresthepath and download the .gpx file to the Satmap via SatSync without a problem. The route was there exactly as I had planned it and it worked without a hitch - exactly what I bought it for! So much nice than messing about with a paper map in a map case.

My position seemed to be very accurate while out and about but there was one issue. My position froze at one point and although the unit still "worked" the blue dot wouldn't budge even though I was a few hundred feet away at a fork in the path. I knew exactly where I was and could see the fork on the Satmap. As the unit was working I just did a clean reboot and it got my correct location within 30 seconds. Strange but in the 3 hours I was out and had the unit on this was the only issue I had. I felt quite familiar with the unit and the interface after reading so much about it.

Wishing that 1:25k mapping wasn't so expensive was the only other thought as I have 1:50k all of UK. Perfectly usable but it would have been nice a couple of times to be able to see things in more detail. However that's a OS gripe not a Satmap one and I have paper 1:25k for Peak and Lakes for backup/detailed planning.

As long as the freeze was an unlucky rare occurrence I am very satisfied indeed. I guess I'll find out if that was the case over the next few months...

Very Happy
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barny-100
Is your software 1.2 or 1.3?
(Look in - Settings - About)
If it is 1.2, then update via the website.
If it is 1.3, you may have a faulty unit.
I used to lock-up frequently when 1.2, but since the upgrade it hasn't let me down once!
If you are 1.3, then let SatMap know.
HTH
Roger
drpeej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My position seemed to be very accurate while out and about but there was one issue. My position froze at one point and although the unit still "worked" the blue dot wouldn't budge

Were you by any chance near a power line? I have experienced some very weird behaviour when near power lines which I presume is due to electrical noise. Out in the open it behaves impeccably. The other possibility is that you nudged the joystick. Pressing the LH button usually sorts this out

I am very impressed with the 1.3 firmware upgrade (apart from the minor irritation over the backlight when locked). The direction indicator is really useful and means that the unit is much easier to use in "North-up" mode

It helped me win a bet with my techno-sceptic friends last weekend when we reached a branching path. A few steps along the path showed exactly which one we were following.

Peter

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: