Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does CoPilot know where its going?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does CoPilot know where its going?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is precisely the problem I find myself at as well. I refuse point blank to give TT any more of my hard earned, as their track record in supporting their customers sucks mountains. I'm not about to use pirated versions of the new TT stuff (Insert Yoda-like voice: "That way viruses, malware, and the dark side lies")...

The problem is that none - and I do mean none - of the competition is really that good, dammit. Even the online suppliers like Google maps, Amaze, and so on, are only as good as your data connectivity - and if that falls over, runs out of range (of the network), or just plain will not connect, you're royally stuffed.

CP scores on pricing, of course - it's cheap as chips compared to TT, but as a few of you point out here (and see my comment back in July in this thread) and in other threads, it's idea of routing and guidance and your idea of routing and guidance do not always coincide - indeed, in some cases, common sense seems to get thrown out when CP calculates routing! In addition, I just could not get to grips with how the hell to install the camera files in a timely and easy way with it. In TT, you just dump the files in a folder, overwriting previous versions of the camera files, and away you go. In CP, it appears like you have to spend half an hour merging one file with another, and another and so on. What a bloody palaver Evil or Very Mad

So, not so much a CoPilot, as a Complete Piling (yeah, Piling. That's the right word...) Sad

iGo is expensive in comparison, and you can only use it on the piddly excuse for a storage card they supply - and that's a royal PITA, as I use a 16 gig card in my Touch Pro 2 phone/PDA, and that's got music, data, and shedloads of other stuff on, and is a fiddly wotsit to swap out, which is why I went for a nice big amount of storage, so I could also stick satnav software on it. So much for that idea, iGo. Or rather, Idon't. Sad

Luckily, I still have my old copy of TT6 on my old PDA, but I haven't a clue what I'm gonna replace it with. Paper maps (I have the AA road atlas for the UK from last Christmas) are one possibility, but I LIKE satnav.

So, I appear, like several others on here, to be up the smelly soft masonry creek without a paddle.

I would have tested others, but the vast majority do not have trial versions of their wares, so that's that, from my PoV.

Any ideas?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got Sygic's Memory Map 9 (previously McGuider). It has versions for Windows mobile, symbian and Android phones as well the iphone.

Putting on cameras is reasonably easy as long as you use Scarymonkey's batch file converter. And you can use TT OGG voice files for camera warnings.

It can be downloaded from Sygic's site and put on any size card you want. Or you can buy a retail pack - I found that was cheaper than downloading (£54 for whole of East and West Europe from Tele Atlas). With that it comes pre-installed on a 4MB card. But it also has a DVD from which you can load it onto any sized card you want.

So far it seems very good, but a bit early to be sure.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, just looked over the Sygic site, it's a 50 quid download direct from them (330mb for the UK & Ireland).

That's certainly cheaper than the box I bought a few years back for TTv6, anyhow. It's twice as much as CP, of course.

Interesting on the POIs - I'll look at that, thanks.

Also, I note you mentioning it being new for you - your exact words being "So far it seems very good, but a bit early to be sure" - how are you getting on with it?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger

I did not download from Sygic, as it was too expensive Instead I bought the complete Europe (East and West) from Teleatlas as a retail pack. This came pre-installed on a 4GB micro SD card. There was also a DVD which enabled you to install it on your own microSD card. That is what I did, because I wanted more room for other apps and music.

It was advertised on the Teleatlas site at £59.99 (including delivery), but when I went to the checkout it offered me a 10% discount, bringing it down to £53.99, which is approximately comparable with Copilot's Europe version. Teleatlas did not appear to be selling just the UK version. Delivery was very quick via UPS.

I have only ever used TT before for sat nav so any system was going to take some getting used to. Some things are better than TT others not. Setting up cameras and warnings are easy and they work pretty much as TT.

It is not as customisable as TT - for example you can't change the colour schemes. They have one for day and one for night and that's it. Also there is no text to speach and the info on the info bar is less customisable.

I have also got to remember that I have changed operating systems and phone and am now using a HTC Hero running Android. I am not sure what of the changes are down to that change and what are down to the difference between TT & Sygic.

The only big complaint I have is that I can't get the sat nav sounds through my Parrot car phone kit like I could with Windows & TT, because the Parrot does not support A2PD profile. However newer kits do so that should not be a problem to others. And in reality this is mainly down to me running Android, as I am sure I could get it to work (using a little app) if I had stuck with a Windows phone. Instead the sounds come out of the the loudspeaker in the back of the HTC Hero and they are loud enough to be heard (unless you have your car audio on at nightclub levels!).

I have not had a chance to use it much in anger yet in the car to see how it works on setting routes. I was away in France on business (via train) earlier this week and used it when on foot to wander around the town I was in. What I did like in that case was that I could switch the Hero's screen off and the app still worked, giving me audible route instructions. However that may be down to the phone/Android rather than Sygic.

Another thing I do not like is that it does not have the advanced planning option that TT had. I found that very useful for preplanning - easier to do it before you got in the car.

Hope that is helpful so far, but I am sure others who have used it more can also give their views.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter -

Thanks - this is the kind of first-hand info from a new user that I was looking for Smile

peterc10 wrote:
I have only ever used TT before for sat nav so any system was going to take some getting used to. Some things are better than TT others not. Setting up cameras and warnings are easy and they work pretty much as TT.

I've used a couple long-term; Navman SmartST v 2, before my BT GPS unit was nicked from my car one night (locked in the glove box, they trashed the car to get in there, of course, years ago now), and TTv6, which I instaled on an HP iPAQ 6915 (still using that when I go places I don't know, excellent kit). I've also trialled a few other packages, such as CP and a couple of others, and wasn't overly impressed with those, unfortunately.

peterc10 wrote:
It is not as customisable as TT - for example you can't change the colour schemes. They have one for day and one for night and that's it. Also there is no text to speach and the info on the info bar is less customisable.

I thought those issues might be the case; TT is way ahead there, dammit Sad

peterc10 wrote:
I have also got to remember that I have changed operating systems and phone and am now using a HTC Hero running Android. I am not sure what of the changes are down to that change and what are down to the difference between TT & Sygic.

I toyed with crossing that bridge when I got my new PDA/phone, but opted to stay with WM for the time being - I have too many applications that rely on windoze at the moment Sad

peterc10 wrote:
The only big complaint I have is that I can't get the sat nav sounds through my Parrot car phone kit like I could with Windows & TT, because the Parrot does not support A2PD profile. However newer kits do so that should not be a problem to others. And in reality this is mainly down to me running Android, as I am sure I could get it to work (using a little app) if I had stuck with a Windows phone. Instead the sounds come out of the the loudspeaker in the back of the HTC Hero and they are loud enough to be heard (unless you have your car audio on at nightclub levels!).

Sounds like a phone-related issue to me as well: Sorry to hear about it (pun not intended!).

peterc10 wrote:
I have not had a chance to use it much in anger yet in the car to see how it works on setting routes. I was away in France on business (via train) earlier this week and used it when on foot to wander around the town I was in. What I did like in that case was that I could switch the Hero's screen off and the app still worked, giving me audible route instructions. However that may be down to the phone/Android rather than Sygic.

Useful "product feature" as they call them, Laughing Out Loud - wonder if it does that in Windoze Mobile?

peterc10 wrote:
Another thing I do not like is that it does not have the advanced planning option that TT had. I found that very useful for preplanning - easier to do it before you got in the car.

Yeah, I find that useful as well. Thanks for the heads up.

peterc10 wrote:
Hope that is helpful so far, but I am sure others who have used it more can also give their views.

Very helpful - many thanks Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: