Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Speed Cameras and POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Speed Cameras and POI's
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godfather40
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: PGPSW Speed Cameras and POI's Reply with quote

When you down load the PGPSW speed camera and POI's onto your sat nav unitdo you need to remove the relevant TOMTOM files from it first to prevent any conflicts between the two versions of data?
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can run both. The only issue is that you may not get the warnings you expect if the TT speed camera and PSPSW are set to trigger at the same point.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can save a copy via TT HOME, then remove them from the unit totally again via TT HOME. Or just disable them on the menus.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You don't need to remove the TT files, but I would advise that you at least 'turn them off', deselect them, so that you don't get double warnings.

eg POI, say petrol stations. The TT poi are mostly 'well out' because they have been entered according to a post code. The result is that they can show up in the middle of housing estates, or roads 3-4-5 removed from where they actually are.

Camera warnings the same. The TT cameras are not updated as regular as the ones on this site, result is that you get warnings for cameras no longer there, and more importantly - you don't get a warning for camera that is there.

I would advise doing a complete back up of your device using windows explorer, or similar if on a mac. Then you can always go back to a 'factory copy' if need be.

I have all the TT cameras/POI deselected, and only run the PGPSW stuff.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

253 wrote:

eg POI, say petrol stations. The TT poi are mostly 'well out' because they have been entered according to a post code. The result is that they can show up in the middle of housing estates, or roads 3-4-5 removed from where they actually are.

That's not down to using postcodes - it's just bad data in the first place. 99% of individual postcodes will related to a number of properties in the SAME street, not in different roads.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
253 wrote:

That's not down to using postcodes - it's just bad data in the first place. 99% of individual postcodes will related to a number of properties in the SAME street, not in different roads.

Thats a good point, I hadn't considered the bad data bit. Just assumed someone had obtained a load of post code data and loaded into a poi.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think on the whole, for anything upto say 3-400 yards it IS down to postcodes...
It's unlikely businesses would have "bad data" for the POI files they create for their own branches, but those are often way out.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if they've got the wrong lat/long for the postcode. 300-400 yards seems a long way for a postcode to be incorrect, but it is possible - though generally only if it's in the same street.

Do we have any examples that we can actually do some research on?
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:

Do we have any examples that we can actually do some research on?

Compare the PGPS location of the BP filling station at 53.15816/1.14699 - which I know is right because I put it there - with where TT thinks it is - up a lane!

David
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP record the postcode of this service station as NG19 0HL.

For this postcode, the Post Office records 26 different addresses, all in Clipstone Road West - between nos. 80 & 122 (even nos. only). This includes a nursing home and a Spar shop, but no petrol station. I can't find any Post Office record of a petrol station in Clipstone Road West.

Which lane does TT think it is located in? I could check the Post Office database for that lane to see if it's there, but we really need details of the address that TT are using to locate it.
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
BP record the postcode of this service station as NG19 0HL.

For this postcode, the Post Office records 26 different addresses, all in Clipstone Road West - between nos. 80 & 122 (even nos. only). This includes a nursing home and a Spar shop, but no petrol station. I can't find any Post Office record of a petrol station in Clipstone Road West.

Which lane does TT think it is located in? I could check the Post Office database for that lane to see if it's there, but we really need details of the address that TT are using to locate it.

There is a Spar at that BP station.

I can't be precise about where my TT thought it was as I've deleted all TT's POIs and replaced 'em with ones that work. (Can you guess the source?)

But I seem to remember it was in a lane towards Poplar Grove - but that no longer exists anyway as the whole area is now a new housing development.

David
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my post it was the BP poi that I was thinking of to be honest.
I remember that when I 1st started using my TT710, they were well off. In fact a couple I actually passed didn't even show up on the TT, which is why I said what I said.

off the top of my head, I think one of them was in Victoria Road Ruislip, 37525 is the PGPSW site. The TT icon was appearing in the middle of the flats to the bottom and right.

I must admit I did 'guessedamate' the distance involved.
dlpruk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Search on my 540 can't find my BP Clipstone Road site under that name, nor Spar; and it thinks the BP at the junction of Chesterfield Road North and Abbott Road in Mansfield Woodhouse is yards up Chesterfield Road North when actually it's on the corner and has entrances from both roads.

Fuel Prices gets the Clipstone Road BP in the right place but thinks it has Ultimate Diesel, which it doesn't!

Wondrous innit?

David
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, if we're trying to prove that it's bad data causing these TT POI problems, I need to know some fairly precise details of one of these POIs is located - where TT thinks it is, and I also need it to be in a completely different road to where it is actually located.

None of the examples so far have really given enough information.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to try looking for the Cobham Services on the A2 in kent the road system shows on the map ok but the petrol stations show as being at the end of scotland lane which is the other side of the channel tunnel rail link(Postcode DA12 3BH) this pc covers both service stns. If you look on google maps you can see just how far out they are.(Postcode taken from Esso site list)

theripper

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: