Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What Handheld GPS to get? Help a newbie get the best choice!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What Handheld GPS to get? Help a newbie get the best choice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistersandy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: What Handheld GPS to get? Help a newbie get the best choice! Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm trying to decide what handheld unit to get and am getting very confused with the different types and various comments from people on limited mapping ability, poor screen display, etc.

I would like a handheld which is waterproof so that I can use it for hiking and sailing. I would also like to be able to navigate my way around foreign cities. So I want to be able to look at;
UK or European marine charts
UK OS maps
Worldwide Town or street plans

I'm torn between the GPSmap 60CSX, the Oregon 300 or the SatmapA10. However the more I read I sometimes think that I should go for a pocket pc with a waterproof case as then I can load my own maps through Maptech.

Based on my mapping criteria above, I would welcome some sound advice.
Thanks in advance
Sandy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, have a look at the quality of the OS maps on the Garmin, click Here the images on the second page of the thread show off what it can be like - I would call that unusable, I hope Garmin are going to address this issue as it spoils the device.
The active10 from SatMap is a much better choice although you might find problems getting hold of European mapping and its not too easy to locate in the car. For the marine charts you want I would give SatMap a ring and discuss this option before you purchase anything, understand the cost of the mapping and its availability.
The PDA is viable if you put it in an OtterBox for protection, but the battery life is nothing like what you can acheive with the SatMap. Loaded with the correct software it will easily switch from on-road use to off-road and perform well at either task - Mike
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to second Mike's reply. I was looking forward to running OS maps on my Colorado 300 - but I will be waiting to see if the quality is significantly improved.

Marine mapping from GARMIN is very expensive (makes most OS mapping seem cheap). But it is very clear in use. It will be interesting to see what SatMap charge for theirs.

PDA is viable - but with the box etc they can get a bit cumbersome IMHO. You would need to rig up some form of battery pack to ensure you have sufficient power for the whole trip!
mistersandy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt comments. I am now seriously thinking about the Nuvi 550 as it seems to tick all the right boxes

boat - It is IPX7 (and seems to work underwater - see You tube) and will run the bluewater charts which is good for my dinghy.
Hiking - it can run the discoverer OS maps.
Car/foot - comes loaded with European Navigator maps

In addition it has a good routing software for in the car and has additional travelling info such as world clocks, downloadable restaurant guides, etc.

Any down sides that I am not aware of?
Sandy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked (briefly) at the 550 but I considered it a down-grade from the 660 - and I already own a Colorado 300. But it does tick all your boxes. The only thing I would look at is the battery life - it may be a bit limiting.

But as Mike says - if you want to show OS maps - it doesn't look like GARMIN have a satisfactory solution yet. This is a shame as I am a great (and generally happy) fan of GARMIN products. Their outdoor stuff is rugged and reliable. The 550 would be much better than a PDA in terms of ruggedness - I would make sure you get to see it working with the OS mapping before you make a final decision though.
mistersandy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks for the advice.
Charles16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Garmin Oregon 400T Reply with quote

Garmin Oregon 400T would be amazing for you. It's pretty helpful for people who frequently travel. Mapping might be a common problem for many standard GPS devices, but with Garmin Oregon you don't have to worry about buying a brand-new GPS device every time you fly abroad. On the top of it, it is waterproof, something just ideal for hiking and sailing. Hope this helps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: